Cisco 2600 Router dram & flash memory advice

I've just got my hands on a 2600 series router, it boots however and states something along the lines of their is not enough memory for IOS to operate and then it loops with an error message, i'm guessing the previous owner tried to update ios and didn't check the memory requirements.

so back to ebay i need to go for dram and flash upgrade for it, my question is what is a good size of DRAM and flash memory to purchase to avoid this happening?

Also is their a way i can recover the router? i did a google search and came up with a few documents however nothing seemed useful

I think it depends on the model as to which amount of DRAM it can support, it sounds like the current IOS cannot load due to less than required memory so best thing to do would be to downgrade the IOS.

Grab a Flash reader off eBay or if your laptop has one etc and then delete that IOS and throw the new one on via Flash reader, alternatively you can do it via ROMMon; decent guide here > http://www.routergeek.net/content/view/36/37/

good luck :)

I can't get it to break the loop which spams

Unexpected exception to CPUvector 1100, PC = 0

-Traceback= 0 8049D4B0 8049CF1C 8049D2CC 8049E49C

edit:

It's a 2620

http://www.satech.com/cisco-router-memory-cisco-2600-series-router-memory-cisco-2620-router-memory.html

says their i can go to 64mb and 32mb flash

but yeah still cannot get this to loop to break o_O any ideas

ah nevermind, worked it out :D had to do it before it started looping

whenever i set the router to boot the boot helper image, it just boots ios and loops again, am i supposed to be doing something else to get into it?

• 7 years later...
On 4/24/2010 at 11:27 AM, rand0m.bullet said:

ah nevermind, worked it out :D had to do it before it started looping

whenever i set the router to boot the boot helper image, it just boots ios and loops again, am i supposed to be doing something else to get into it?

have same issues with my 2600 router. can get to break the loop. can you help?

• Jason S. locked this topic