Wayne Rooney is PFA player of the year

Wayne Rooney has been voted player of the year by his peers in the Professional Footballers' Association.

The Manchester United striker, who has scored 34 goals this season, beat off competition from Didier Drogba, Carlos Tevez and Cesc Fabregas.

Rooney, 24, said: "It's a great feeling to win because it's voted for by the players. It's a great honour and I'm really proud."

The young player of the year award was won by Aston Villa's James Milner.

Rooney has blossomed at Old Trafford this season after the departure of Cristiano Ronaldo and Carlos Tevez.

He has played in a more advanced role than in previous seasons and has added powerful heading ability to his overall game.

But he injured ankle ligaments in the first leg of United's Champions League quarter-final against Bayern Munich, and missed Saturday's 1-0 win over Tottenham with a groin injury sustained in training.

However, Rooney insisted he will be fit for the World Cup and indeed hopes to play in United's last league game, against Stoke.

"The groin will be fine for the World Cup, there are no worries about that," he said. "I'm hoping to play for United in the last game of the season.

"I remember coming here in 2005 and 2006 to win the young player of the year award. I saw the players winning the main one and it's something I've aimed for since."

The striker paid tribute to United boss Sir Alex Ferguson and the influence he has had on his career.

"Sir Alex is a great manager who has really brought me on as a player since I joined United. His hunger passes through to the players.

"It's great to see that he's pushing 70 and he hasn't changed a bit. I'm sure he'll be at United a long time yet."

Rooney was also nominated for the young player award but Milner, also 24, was voted winner.

A string of fine performances and an ability to play in a number of positions have made him a front-runner for a position in Fabio Capello's squad for the World Cup.

Milner said: "I've been moved into the middle and that suits me as it helps me influence the game a bit more. Sometimes when you are wide on the right you can't get yourself into it."

Former Leeds and South Africa defender Lucas Radebe, 41, won the PFA Merit Award.

"Sport can change the world. Football has played such a big part in lifting my community," he said. "I'm very proud to get such a great award."

Premier League team of the year: Joe Hart (Man City, Birmingham on loan), Branislav Ivanovic (Chelsea), Thomas Vermaelen (Arsenal), Richard Dunne (Aston Villa), Patrice Evra (Man Utd), Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), James Milner (Aston Villa), James Fletcher (Man Utd), Antonio Valencia (Man Utd), Wayne Rooney (Man Utd), Didier Drogba (Chelsea).

(BBC)

Wayne Rooney has [...] beat off competition from Didier Drogba, Carlos Tevez and Cesc Fabregas.

Rooney, 24, said: "It's a great feeling [...] It's a great honour and I'm really proud."

hehehe selective editing

Oh my I'm so surprised :rolleyes:

To be honest I think he was level with Drogba but Rooney is English in a World Cup year.

The XI looks like a joke too,Valencia over Malouda?!

Good to see Ivanovic and Vermaelen though,they totally deserve it.