Why Linux (Still) Sucks (And What We Can Do To Fix It)

Easy fixes to make linux the best os in the market..

1. Drivers...Drivers...Drivers.

2. Add/Remove programs. I am pretty decent when it comes to installing software on linux, but my mother isnt, and she shouldnt have to be a computer geek so that she can install her favorite game from the internet on her pc (nor is grandma or dad).

3. Drivers...drivers...Drivers.

4. Sound....freaks...just pick one and stick with it!!!!!!!!!

Linux still sucks for a number of reasons:

Lack of quality

Lack of integration

Lack of mainstream game support

Linux Jihadists

Too many distros

Lack of mainstream acceptance/support

• Like 2

IMO, the biggest thing that can be done to help linux improve is to get rid of the asshat zealots on *nix support forums. I've seen some pretty bad and vulgar responses towards people for asking simple questions.

• Like 1

I read through the powerpoint presentation. It makes a lot of good points to be honest.

One can only hope that people listen and do something to make the needed changes in the way Linux distros are currently being developed.

Dont get me wrong, i love the way the way that Linux has come along further in the last few years than i have ever seen it, but more is still needed in order to get it adopted by more users and become as popular as Apple.

Wow, what a post..... "Linux sucks" it's an opinion of some Windows/MacOs X users, who've never worked with anything but one OS.

Most of the new distros have exactly what you are complaining about.

I would suggest that you get out of your nutshell and try something new, or if you already have found what you are looking for than you shouldnt make any empty/uneducated posts.

Why are people rude on some of those Unix forums is because they get most of the time noobs who are not willing to learn but rather prefer to complain about how Linux sucks, and with that attitude you wont get far anywhere...

Yeh I agree with those points.

RPM, Deb, TarGZ, etc.

Rediculous, just one format and a source tarGZ is needed.

Alsa and OSS = pain in the arse, pulseaudio = good but pain in the arse to get working, and hell I didn't know that many audio frameworks existed! Definately only need one.

Etc.

IMO, the biggest thing that can be done to help linux improve is to get rid of the asshat zealots on *nix support forums. I've seen some pretty bad and vulgar responses towards people for asking simple questions.

Funny enough ive seen the same exact people on windows forums and mac forums. All platforms have their trolls.

The very open nature of linux and oss software is why the software will continue to develop and mature.

What I agreed on:

Audio stack(s) suck(s).

Audio editing software sucks.

As the author mentioned, video editing sucked as well, but the progress has been amazing in the last year. Also, if Steam comes to Linux, I already see the games "problem" having begun to be resolved.

I'm kind of in the gray area with packaging. Maybe it's because I use Ubuntu, so I rarely have any problems finding a deb package, but I don't see this as much of a problem.

Wow, what a post..... "Linux sucks" it's an opinion of some Windows/MacOs X users, who've never worked with anything but one OS.

Most of the new distros have exactly what you are complaining about.

I would suggest that you get out of your nutshell and try something new, or if you already have found what you are looking for than you shouldnt make any empty/uneducated posts.

Why are people rude on some of those Unix forums is because they get most of the time noobs who are not willing to learn but rather prefer to complain about how Linux sucks, and with that attitude you wont get far anywhere...

You lost all credibility using that word. Also, you talked about attitude... ;)

Linux is now hugely popular, it doesn't need fixed, all the gamers with PS3s love it :rofl:

Funny enough ive seen the same exact people on windows forums and mac forums. All platforms have their trolls.

And all of them should just dissapear.

I've got to agree on the sound part, it's getting better (It's mainly ALSA/Pulse Audio), but there are still a bunch of apps that use OSS/ARTS/ESD/etc. (at least you can wrap most around ALSA)

Linux is a victim of it's own openness.

You can't be the "industry standard" when everyone is doing their own thing.

this is what the video guy said and, true!

The problem with Linux is simple: Even after all the innovations and refreshments over the last 20 years, it's still a hobbyist OS for tinkerers and nerds. Game developers won't bother developing for it because they'd lose more money trying to get Linux off life support than just continuing what they've got. In other words, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Also, for corporate environments, it would probably cost businesses a ton of money to train users to use Linux, instead of sticking with the tried and true XP. XP may be outdated and insecure, but everybody knows how to use it and volume licenses are cheap enough these days.

Other complaints:

1. Unnecessary audio stacks

2. Ugly GUI

3. No games support (WINE doesn't count)

4. Driver support is still terrible

5. Steep learning curve

Folks like you and me (and the majority of Neowin) could work around these issues with relative ease, but Johnny Nobody and his sports bar buddies just want to plug it in and go.

2. Add/Remove programs. I am pretty decent when it comes to installing software on linux,

but my mother isnt, and she shouldnt have to be a computer geek so that she can install

her favorite game from the internet on her pc (nor is grandma or dad).

1. Drivers ... it isn't really the fault of Linux, that some hardware might not work correctly, or work at all. It's more down

to some hardware manufacturers not even bothering to actually create driver software that works on Linux. Sometimes,

those manufacturers that do actually bother, release quite buggy pre-beta quality driver software for Linux users, that'll

only install using command lines in a terminal window, while spending more time and effort writing decent drivers for

everyone else, with easy to use setup.exe files you simply double click, follow a few prompts and reboot your PC.

2. Add/Remove programs ... Most common Linux distros such as Ubuntu and openSUSE have point and click package

managers for installing and uninstalling software, that are as easy to use as Add/Remove Programs in Windows.

3. Drivers ... see my earlier response to point 1.

4. Sound ... not sure what you meant by that.

Other complaints:

2. Ugly GUI

3. No games support (WINE doesn't count)

5. Steep learning curve

I really think that Ubuntu is trying to fix these. They're not always right, but seems to be on the right path.

About games support. Lets see where Valve's support leads to.

2. Add/Remove programs. I am pretty decent when it comes to installing software on linux, but my mother isnt, and she shouldnt have to be a computer geek so that she can install her favorite game from the internet on her pc (nor is grandma or dad).

2. Synaptic Package Manager running on Debian (or Ubuntu or something similar) is superior to Add/Remove Programs. Sure, it could always be made simpler, prettier and more noob-friendly but it really is quite the tool.

2. Ugly GUI

Seriously? I find that Linux's GUI is far superior to that of Windows or Mac, especially with compositors like compiz.

2. Synaptic Package Manager running on Debian (or Ubuntu or something similar) is superior to Add/Remove Programs. Sure, it could always be made simpler, prettier and more noob-friendly but it really is quite the tool.

ubuntusoftwarecenter.png

I don't think it gets easier than this.