Rhythmbox Playlist Sorting

Alright, I am having a silly issue here. First of all, here is an example of my music setup: /Music/Nightwish/Dark Passion Play/Nightwish - Amaranth.mp3

I do not have my music tagged. On Windows, I just removed all the tags except for the filename. On foobar, that is how I sorted my playlist (%filename%). What I did in Rhythmbox was make a new playlist and add every song from a specific band. However, I cannot find a way to sort the playlist by filename. It is sorted by "Title" right now with no other options checked. The problem is that it sorts each album alphabetically, and not my entire collection of that band. Understandably, most people do not have their playlists set this way, but it is how I like it.

Can anybody offer me a suggestion here as to how to sort the entire collection (of one band) alphabetically?

Thanks in advance.

Foobar works surprisingly well in Wine, considering I do not need any plugins. However, I would still like a fix for my Rhythmbox issue, if anybody can help me out. :)

I probably wouldn't jump in and recommend another player, but since you said you use foobar on Windows, Rhythmbox is probably not for you. So, unless you're depending on services like U1 Music Store, I'd suggest: a) Exaile (has the best playlist manipulation I've seen on Linux, you can ignore library altogether and rely on 'Files' tab to manage music); b) foobar through Wine (should run just fine, only thing you don't get is proper desktop environment integration).

I probably wouldn't jump in and recommend another player, but since you said you use foobar on Windows, Rhythmbox is probably not for you. So, unless you're depending on services like U1 Music Store, I'd suggest: a) Exaile (has the best playlist manipulation I've seen on Linux, you can ignore library altogether and rely on 'Files' tab to manage music); b) foobar through Wine (should run just fine, only thing you don't get is proper desktop environment integration).

Aye. Every extra feature in Rhythmbox that does not have to do with playing from my music library is useless to me, ha. I will give Exaile a try. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Yeah, I'm giving Exaile a try right now myself (just waiting for it to import 20k songs from the network). I don't like the layout because I'm an iTunes/Rhythmbox style fan myself, but I'll see if I can get used to something different. Is there any way to get something like a 2 or 3 column browser in Exaile like you have in Rhythmbox or iTunes? It's so much faster to play music when you jump around your list like that.

^ Not that I know of, but you can have many tabbed playlists to jump through different music. It's not what you're probably looking for, so you might want to reconsider Rhythmbox, Banshee and similar iTunes type players.

^ Not that I know of, but you can have many tabbed playlists to jump through different music. It's not what you're probably looking for, so you might want to reconsider Rhythmbox, Banshee and similar iTunes type players.

Yeah, I started getting used to the tabbed playlists, but it seems to be far too buggy right now. I'm getting all kinds of hang ups where it just sits and thinks for a while, plays the wrong song on my playlist, etc. Sometimes when I reopen it, it won't play a song in a playlist, i have to completely clear the playlist and start it again, otherwise it just tries to play the first song over and over again. Some of my issues are caused by trying to use the unified playback engine, but I don't think gapless playback (which still doesn't work with unified) is too much to ask for these days.

It's a good player, but I think it could maybe use a little more refinement first. Plus, with a library as big as mine, you get kinda picky about what you use to manage it.

• 5 months later...