Problems with home 3D

What's the major difficulty with introducing 3D into home TVs and systems?

Not that I claim to know anything about the technology behind 3D, but I mean for a theater, the glasses don't have to be specially synchronized or anything, they're simply polarized for each eye and mass produced to be made to match the 3D of any 3D movie. I mean, they don't hand out different glasses per movie, it's the same glasses and everything. So why can't this same idea be introduced into the home setting? I'm seeing that you need to buy a special TV for 3D with special glasses to synchronize to the movie, is this just all a ploy for us to spend money on new technology? Or do they actually need all these things for 3D to work on the TV?

Not that I claim to know anything about the technology behind 3D, but I mean for a theater, the glasses don't have to be specially synchronized or anything, they're simply polarized for each eye and mass produced to be made to match the 3D of any 3D movie. I mean, they don't hand out different glasses per movie, it's the same glasses and everything. So why can't this same idea be introduced into the home setting? I'm seeing that you need to buy a special TV for 3D with special glasses to synchronize to the movie, is this just all a ploy for us to spend money on new technology? Or do they actually need all these things for 3D to work on the TV?

from my understanding the glasses are not just polarized, but they have a shutter effect. The glasses are unique to each blu-ray player, from what I have read the Samsung glasses do not work with the panasonic player and vice versa. I only know that both glasses are battery operated so I believe there is much more to the effect then just being polarized. I finally got a chance to check out the Demo and Best Buy for both Samsung and Panasonic, I was impressed at the quality for being the first commerically available tvs/players. So to answer your question... yes... at this time, the special tv, glasses, player are required.

from my understanding the glasses are not just polarized, but they have a shutter effect. The glasses are unique to each blu-ray player, from what I have read the Samsung glasses do not work with the panasonic player and vice versa. I only know that both glasses are battery operated so I believe there is much more to the effect then just being polarized. I finally got a chance to check out the Demo and Best Buy for both Samsung and Panasonic, I was impressed at the quality for being the first commerically available tvs/players. So to answer your question... yes... at this time, the special tv, glasses, player are required.

Pretty sure its unique to the TV and not the player. 3D TV's have some sort of camera/sensor up top to tell the glasses when to close or open each side.

for more info check out the 3D 101

It's the TV. The new 3d TV's come bundled with some glasses. Walk into a store and test them out. Panasonic has a real beaut 3d TV which uses plasma rather than lcd. *drools*

But when watching 3d after an hour, I kinda get over it. Nice gimmick and something to show off, not something I'd use everyday.

Pretty sure its unique to the TV and not the player. 3D TV's have some sort of camera/sensor up top to tell the glasses when to close or open each side.

for more info check out the 3D 101

thanks.. wasnt sure if it was the player or tv... guess it makes sense its the tv since the glasses come with the Panasonic tv..

Whoa! I just came from Best Buy the other day and completely forgot to check out the 3D TVs. Heh! Just goes to show much I don't care.

But don't worry, I bet this 3D thing will catch on real quick. A lot of people at my job are talking about how cool it was when they checked it out at Best Buy.

:rolleyes:

If the program is broadcast in 3D and you wore the Red and Blue lens glasses it would work

UK Tv had a week of something to do with the Queen on TV and it was all broadcast in 3D - You had to go collect the 3D glasses from the supermarket

I didnt have any so everything in 3D had a strange yellow and blue halo around it