Turbocharged/supercharged Hookah!

Ok, so let me first start by saying I love smoking my hookah! I ONLY smoke tobacco (I don't want this to turn into a debate about drugs). Anyway, here's a half-baked idea I've had (not stoned, lol).

For those that don't know, hookahs work similar to bongs. Tobacco in the bowl gets sucked through water which cools and filters it, and then goes to the smoker. The difference is that with a hookah, the bowl is on the top of the pipe, which has coals sitting on top of it. When the smoker sucks on the pipe, the heat pulls down, over the tobacco, down a tube, into the water, and then up and out the pipe.

t_16649.jpg

My idea is to insert a fan into the glass portion of the pipe. A turbocharger works in a car by exhaust fumes spinning a fan, which forces air into the intake, producing more power. A supercharger is the same thing, essentially, except it's powered by the car's engine, rather than fumes. My idea is to put a fan into the hookah, so that way when you suck in, the air that you are sucking in spins a fan (or the fan spins by hooking up to an electrical source), which would then force more smoke into the hose, into the user.

I know, it sounds crazy, but from a technical standpoint, it should work. I'm looking for any input (or possibly anyone who wants to take on the task of building this). What do you guys think? Please, let's not turn this into an anti-smoking thread or talking about how this is going to make something bad for you even worse. I'm aware of the effects of smoking, as I'm sure most are. This is about technical innovation!

post-190748-1273271535143.jpg

Thanks, and will do! The biggest hindrance I see is the fact that the mouth of the "vase" part of the hookah (the glass part) is fairly small. I either need to find a reallllllly small fan (one that small might not even have an effect) or make my own hookah, perhaps out of a 2 liter soda bottle, that way I can cut the bottle open, install the fan, then reseal it.

Sounds interesting... I love little projects like this. One problem i foresee with it though is that depending on the size of the fan(and the speed at witch it spins) might cause too much air flow. With that, it might burn up your tobacco too quickly, or just super heat it, either way it wont taste good. One more thing is how would you get it to activate? I suppose you could use a little push switch to turn the fan on right before you inhale? I will defiantly follow this and give any help i can.

Yeah I'd try and make your own first because they are quite expensive and you don't want to break one.

Maybe if you perfect it on your homemade one then you can buy one and make it extra cool :p

Problem #2: the stem running from the bowl to the water is right in the center. Need to have the stem run to the side of the vase. Perhaps some kind of rubber hose to replace the metal pipe.

Problem #2: the stem running from the bowl to the water is right in the center. Need to have the stem run to the side of the vase. Perhaps some kind of rubber hose to replace the metal pipe.

Why would it need to run to the side?

Wouldnt that choke the user if too much smoke is forced?

Well I think if you have the fan in-between the bowl and the water, it would slow down enough when it hits the water to be ok. He could also add a speed controller to the fan, so i could be adjusted per user...