Barcelona clinch La Liga league title

98055.jpg

Barcelona clinched a second successive Spanish league title as Pep Guardiola's side ended the season with 99 points.

Barca looked nervous in the opening stages of their 4-0 win over Real Vallodolid, but once Luis Prieto put through his own net they relaxed.

Four minutes later Pedro Rodriguez slotted home a second, with Lionel Messi adding two second-half goals.

Key to Barca's title success were their two victories over rivals Real Madrid who finished second by three points.

Madrid drew 1-1 away with Malaga, a result that is likely to fuel speculation that Real's coach Manuel Pellegrini will be sacked after just a season in charge at the Bernabeu.

During last summer Real went on spending spree investing nearly ?200m on four players - Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Karim Benzema and Xabi Alonso.

In the current Madrid team just one of their players - goalkeeper Iker Casillas - came through the club's youth ranks, while the Barca side that beat Madrid at the Bernabeu last month included seven former youth team players.

"The club will sit down and discuss what course we are going to take for next season," Real director general Jorge Valdano told Spanish television after he was asked about Pellegrini's future.

"Today isn't the right moment to be taking decisions. We have a lot of time in front of us and we'll see what course we take."

Playing some scintillating football during the season, Barca lost just once in 38 league outings, scoring 96 times, with Fifa World Player of the Year Messi, netting an astonishing 34 goals.

Messi has scored 47 goals in all competitions, equalling the club's goalscoring record that was set by Ronaldo in the 1996-1997 season.

Guardiola suggested that Barca's exceptional form had much to do with the challenge that Real had offered.

"I have to congratulate the coach and players of Real Madrid for an extraordinary campaign.

"Without them we would have not been able to get 99 points, they have pushed us all the way. They have dignified their profession and their club."

Malaga's draw saved them from relegation as they finished a point above Valladolid, who dropped down to the second division along with Tenerife who lost 1-0 at Valencia, and Xerez who drew 1-1 at Osasuna.

Source

I'd like to see Messi far in a league that isn't horrific.

Not saying he'd suck but I'd like to see him actually go toe-to-toe with Rooney in the same league.

Yeah because the English PL is the best right? How do you define which league is horrific and which one is not?

Yeah because the English PL is the best right? How do you define which league is horrific and which one is not?

talent, ratings, fans, world recognition... I could go on. There is no comparison between EPL and La Liga....

talent, ratings, fans, world recognition... I could go on. There is no comparison between EPL and La Liga....

(Y)

not to mention the EPL is a tougher league overall and they actual let contact happen...

I'd like to see Messi far in a league that isn't horrific.

Not saying he'd suck but I'd like to see him actually go toe-to-toe with Rooney in the same league.

It's maybe not quite the same, but Messi scored 4 against Arsenal and 1 against Man Utd. All in the last 12 months.

(Y)

not to mention the EPL is a tougher league overall and they actual let contact happen...

And there actually are 7-8 teams that can end up in the top 4.. and more than 2 who can win the league..

What world recognition!? What players? What international team? You guys do not even have a decent goalkeeper, your most famous player of all time is a fashon model. Just wait untill 2013 when every team should play with at least 6 domestic players, then you'll see the EPL sink faster than Titanic...

What world recognition!? What players? What international team? You guys do not even have a decent goalkeeper, your most famous player of all time is a fashon model. Just wait untill 2013 when every team should play with at least 6 domestic players, then you'll see the EPL sink faster than Titanic...

....?

World recognition - ask any american what the league is called in England compared to Spain. ESPN/TSN etc actually cover the EPL over La Liga. I guarantee most people cant name any other teams in La Liga other then barca and real.

Players - .... I don't even know what to say about this. Drogba, Rooney, Torres, Lampard, etc. The majority of Fifa games released by EA even have EPL players on the front covers.

International Team - Don't get what you mean by this we are talking about the leagues not international teams.

Decent Goal keepers - La Liga has Casillas, however cech has won goal keeper of the year.

Chelsea already has 11 domestic players, Arsenal has what 4?, Man u has 12, Liverpool has 11 I believe.

....?

World recognition - ask any american what the league is called in England compared to Spain. ESPN/TSN etc actually cover the EPL over La Liga. I guarantee most people cant name any other teams in La Liga other then barca and real.

Players - .... I don't even know what to say about this. Drogba, Rooney, Torres, Lampard, etc. The majority of Fifa games released by EA even have EPL players on the front covers.

International Team - Don't get what you mean by this we are talking about the leagues not international teams.

Decent Goal keepers - La Liga has Casillas, however cech has won goal keeper of the year.

Chelsea already has 11 domestic players, Arsenal has what 4?, Man u has 12, Liverpool has 11 I believe.

Arsenal 4? Are you kidding.. who are Jack Wilshere, Gibbs, Lansbery and many many others in reserve? There is a design to Wenger's planning..

Arsenal 4? Are you kidding.. who are Jack Wilshere, Gibbs, Lansbery and many many others in reserve? There is a design to Wenger's planning..

i knew he was off about arsenal, but i was waiting for you to jump in...

Lol asking americans anything remotely related to football is not a good idea in first place :)

Covers in the different world regions display different players, for example in US/Canada they put some MLS player.

International Team is important, and there is a huge gap between the quality of the domestic teams and the international team in England, just because there are too many foreign players in EPL. If you haven't noticed the departure of Ronaldo brought down the quality of the league this year. You guys are so dependant of the foreign players and even managers, up untill now all the managers of the teams in Top 4 weren't English. You see every time when you guys hire someone british to coach your international players he always fails big time, remember Steven MCcLaren?

Most of those domestic players do not even make their way to the bench in most of the games. Cech is good but he cannot play for England. David James is the new Peter Shilton lol Playing at the World cup on your 40th birthday would be the best present a football player can get don't you think? :D

Lol asking americans anything remotely related to football is not a good idea in first place :)

Covers in the different world regions display different players, for example in US/Canada they put some MLS player.

International Team is important, and there is a huge gap between the quality of the domestic teams and the international team in England, just because there are too many foreign players in EPL. If you haven't noticed the departure of Ronaldo brought down the quality of the league this year. You guys are so dependant of the foreign players and even managers, up untill now all the managers of the teams in Top 4 weren't English. You see every time when you guys hire someone british to coach your international players he always fails big time, remember Steven MCcLaren?

Most of those domestic players do not even make their way to the bench in most of the games. Cech is good but he cannot play for England. David James is the new Peter Shilton lol Playing at the World cup on your 40th birthday would be the best present a football player can get don't you think? :D

what?

The EPL was crazy this year. the winning team didn't clinch the league until the last day. It was a 3 horse race all year while that bottom fourth spot was a even nuttier. Ronaldo who? Im pretty sure Rooney made everyone forget about Ronaldo (Y)

No one missed Ronaldo... only people who like that diver missed ronaldo.

A well deserved title and a great match. :)

The next season is going to be even better! I just hope Ibrahimovic doesn't end up like Henry.

Do you see the EPL being dominated by two teams, with the third-place team being miles behind?

I feel like La Liga teams who aren't Barcelona and Real Madrid start their seasons trying only to get to third place, as the top two spots are already secured.

The EPL was constant shifting, Arsenal almost made it to the top, Spurs went in and out of fourth, Liverpool drops, Man City fights back, ManU dominates then lets up enough points, Chelsea is in and out and ends up winning...

There's definitely more competition in the EPL than La Liga. Just look at stats.

I don't find this offensive, because for the most part it's true...but there are exceptions. I know more about foreign leagues than I do about the MLS.

We aren't all stupid, Ronaldo & Messi & Rooney lovers.

Do you see the EPL being dominated by two teams, with the third-place team being miles behind?

I feel like La Liga teams who aren't Barcelona and Real Madrid start their seasons trying only to get to third place, as the top two spots are already secured.

Maybe this year that was the case. But a lot of teams have been near the top in the last 10 years in Spain. Valencia have won it twice (under Rafa Benitez).

Heck I remember when Barca finished 7th one year.

If anything the domination in the Scottish Premier League is worse. In that league it is either Rangers or Celtic.

Maybe this year that was the case. But a lot of teams have been near the top in the last 10 years in Spain. Valencia have won it twice (under Rafa Benitez).

Heck I remember when Barca finished 7th one year.

You are very true, but as of late...not the case.