Cable box outside

I just noticed this morning that my outdoor connection for Comcast cable is missing it's cover and there is an exposed wire. Lately, I've noticed that when we get a good rain here (south FL), the internet goes out until I try to reset the modem. I've also been losing channels on my TV until I redo an auto-program cycle. Either of these problems likely caused by exposed wires? If so, should I contact Comcast to come out and fix it (as the box is their property) or should I tape it up or something?

post-26621-12754846887322.jpg

Taken with BB Storm2

Give your ISP a ring, I know over here BT own everything inside the "Master Socket" that comes into the house and their responsible for it.....whereas the home owner is responsible for anything that's plugged into the master socket.

GE

I shouldn't have to be here for them to do that either, right? I mean it is outside and other than putting a new cover/box, I don't see any reason for them to enter my home.

The blue coax cable is your drop cable...as you can see it's coming out of conduit. It's paired with a ground wire which should be grounded to a metal pole, etc... The black wire coming out of the conduit just looks to be the old drop they had used before. So ignore that. If you're experiencing drops in your connection its most likely the ground wire doesn't have anywhere to feed the rouge electricity coming through the coax, causing ingress on your line. Electricity always tries to head for the ground. I also see that the yellow feeder looks to be buried into the ground and if that's RG6 or any grade less, moisture is going to get into that as well and simply cause degradation or also cut out your connection. (As I also notice the beauty bark looks wet and you have a sprinkler system put in and probably every time it turns on, you experience your problems? But the yellow coax line...it's not a drop cable and there's a reason why they shouldn't be buried. Kinks and moisture are common factors.

As a side note, the dmarc box and anything inside it, (splitters, amps, dc6's, etc) are the property of the homeowners. Hence, they don't put a padlock on the box. But being a customer...yes, they should assist you the help of keeping a clean signal. I'd just call their tech support and ask them to rework the drop.

I know all this because I worked for Cox Communications. ;)

Best of luck,

Interesting that you could give that much feedback and info from one picture. Appreciate it!

I'm gonna call them up and find out what they can do about it.

Another view of it from further away:

post-26621-12754959964982.jpg

Give your ISP a ring, I know over here BT own everything inside the "Master Socket" that comes into the house and their responsible for it.....whereas the home owner is responsible for anything that's plugged into the master socket.

GE

False.

The guy is on Comcast which is like Virgin Media (cable), bt and virgin media are not allowed to touch each others equipment as it is against the law. Also who would i call bt about my cable box outside when it has nothing to do with them? They would just laugh and me tell me to call VM and thencall me an idiot. :rolleyes: