USC punished with two-year bowl ban!

LOS ANGELES -- The NCAA threw the book at storied Southern California on Thursday with a two-year bowl ban, four years' probation, loss of scholarships and forfeits of an entire year's games for improper benefits to Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush dating to the Trojans' 2004 national championship.

USC was penalized for a lack of institutional control in the ruling by the NCAA following its four-year investigation. The reported cited numerous improper benefits for Bush and former basketball player O.J. Mayo, who spent just one year with the Trojans.

The penalties include the loss of 30 football scholarships over three years and vacating 14 victories in which Bush played from December 2004 through the 2005 season.

I really don't care for USC one bit, I find this amusing, especially since I HATE Lane Kiffin.

More @ ESPN

30 scholarships lost?

That's 30 people who just lost a chance to go to a school. NCAA does realize that USC is still a school and not just a football team? Way to go in screwing up some people's education.

I don't care for USC either but I'm not sure it's fair to punish today's players for something that happened 5 to 6 years ago.

30 scholarships lost?

That's 30 people who just lost a chance to go to a school. NCAA does realize that USC is still a school and not just a football team? Way to go in screwing up some people's education.

Both of you make very, VERY valid points that I completely agree with. I really didn't think about it, as much as I hate USC + Kiffin, it does suck it has to affect current players and future 'would-have-received' scholarship recipients.

I really wish Pete Caroll would have gotten punished too. He had chances to go to other professional teams but instead decided to go to the Seahawks right before this whole mess started. How many times is he going to get away with that?

I really wish Pete Caroll would have gotten punished too. He had chances to go to other professional teams but instead decided to go to the Seahawks right before this whole mess started. How many times is he going to get away with that?

I guess that just extends my post. The coaches involved should be held more accountable. The same coaches go to a school and never obeys the law, and just before they get caught they move on to another school and start over, leaving the school to pay the price. It's extremely wrong.

I was talkin to a few friends today and we agreed, how does punishing them now help fix what happened 5 years ago... NCAA must have their heads up their rear.

I was talkin to a few friends today and we agreed, how does punishing them now help fix what happened 5 years ago... NCAA must have their heads up their rear.

Nothing will fix what happened five years ago, unless you think the NCAA has a time machine. Punishment is supposed to serve as a deterrent in the future for other schools.

Right but should the new batch of kids have to pay for the bad deeds of the past. Thing is Pete Carrol Is a coward in my book now and i actually liked USC and respected Carrol because he use to be an Assistant Coach for U of Arkansas a long time ago. I say nail him regardless if he left USC or not and go after those who actually cheated, either revoke their National Title, Scholarship money and make them pay it or something... but punishing the classes of 2010 and on is a little unfair in my book.

Right but should the new batch of kids have to pay for the bad deeds of the past. Thing is Pete Carrol Is a coward in my book now and i actually liked USC and respected Carrol because he use to be an Assistant Coach for U of Arkansas a long time ago. I say nail him regardless if he left USC or not and go after those who actually cheated, either revoke their National Title, Scholarship money and make them pay it or something... but punishing the classes of 2010 and on is a little unfair in my book.

Make Carrol pay the 30 future scholarships they're losing out of pocket imo. :whistle: