[uk] i've been had, where do i stand?

And as said above, it makes your cause to complain more legitimate. It's astounding how many companies will play ball once trading standards are involved... :)

I just thought i would update on this..

After many calls they said they were sending an engineer round on Wednesday .. i'm still waiting.

They have been ignoring me so my sister called off her phone and they said we needed to take the car back to get it fixed.. LOL.. don't they think we would of took it back if we could f**king move it. Again they showed no real interest in moving forward with this.

So my dad calls them this morning and tells them they can go f**k themselves as we're going to do whatever it takes to ruin their business... they said come through and we'll give you £50 back to cover repair costs.

I called trading standards anyway and they cared less than the car sales. She said i do have rights but with it being an old car it will probably go down as wear and tear which they could get away with. She said the fact that they have offered to rectify the problem will also go in their favour (which in my opinion is not acceptable). She said write them a letter and if they don't respond you can call us back. There is no point in writing a letter because they have responded today and offered a refund for the repair..

I've had enough, the car is being repaired.. i'll drive it for a few months then sell it on and put it down as lesson learned.

I called trading standards anyway and they cared less than the car sales. She said i do have rights but with it being an old car it will probably go down as wear and tear which they could get away with. She said the fact that they have offered to rectify the problem will also go in their favour (which in my opinion is not acceptable). She said write them a letter and if they don't respond you can call us back. There is no point in writing a letter because they have responded today and offered a refund for the repair..

Just like to point out that they havent responded. Phone calls and face-to-face meetings are worthless if you want trading standards to get involved or to take them to small-claims court, you need it in writing which was advised to you before but now its been 1-2weeks? you're running out of time to go down that avenue if you need to.

When something goes wrong or you may be required to take them to small-claims court, never contact them over the phone other than your original call and do everything through recorded mail so you can prove everything you've said and what they've replied.

If the MOT says 168k and the clock says 108k, that's something for the Police, not trading standards (if you replace the clock on a car it cannot legally show a lower count than the original, as far as I am aware).

That might be a way of leveraging them into cooperating.

There is no point in writing a letter because they have responded today and offered a refund for the repair..

I've had enough, the car is being repaired.. i'll drive it for a few months then sell it on and put it down as lesson learned.

There is every point in writing a letter - You need evidence in writing as to whats being said. Plus, you need a refund on the car, not a refund on the repair. This car is going to cause you many problems in the future.

And you say your going to get it repaired, run it, then sell it ? But the car has been clocked. So anyone coming to veiw it, will see all the problems with it, and will also see it's clocked and either not buy it, or if they do, they'll give you a tenner for it !

There's also discrepancies in the MoT... Why it failed, then passed at another place...

This issue is for VOSA, Trading Standards and the police.

BUT, everybody else has given you all this advice, of which you have listened to NONE of it... I can only assume you won't listen to anymore !

If the MOT says 168k and the clock says 108k, that's something for the Police, not trading standards (if you replace the clock on a car it cannot legally show a lower count than the original, as far as I am aware).

That might be a way of leveraging them into cooperating.

I am sure this is true. You really should have a look at this one!

Who said it was on the clock? I've not been back in the car or anywhere near it to check. I said the MOT read different to as advertised.

The only complaint with the milage was that it was false advertising, i have no doubt the clock actually reads 168k. I guess that's my own fault for not checking, but it didn't cross my mind, i've never bought a car like this before so i just expected the details to be accurate.

The main issue here is with the mouth housing the thermostat... The rep at trading standards said it could easily be put down to wear and tear... but i disagree. I think they knew about it and sold it anyway, hence the 'sold as seen' i told the rep everything about the false advertising and the repair job and she said it will be hard for anything to come of this especially now they have offered to foot the bill for the repair.

Isnt the consumer right, to have take any goods that are not fit for purpose back to the dealer within 12 days?

The dealer then has the right to try and fix the problem(s) for the client, but if they fail to do so more than twice, you can pretty much demand your money back and they will ahve to do so.

All that said though, i have never heard of the above being put in to practice, so im not sure how well it would go for you. However, im sure if you push hard enough, even if they start using scare tactics, they will eventually crumble to your demands.

Again, no offence to you Uplift but...

Same with the thread where that dude got ripped off over a Macbook Pro...

The poster's seem to be lazy or apathetic to their own cause. I'd be chasing this tooth and nail, documenting everything. I would not "not have looked at the clock" or see "no point in writing a letter". Moreover it would not have dragged on this long.

have not read the thread..

sold as seen is meaningless, you have the right to a 'working product'

give consumer rights a call and just get the correct legal angle, but you are fully in the right here so keep plugging away

have not read the thread..sold as seen is meaningless, you have the right to a 'working product'give consumer rights a call and just get the correct legal angle, but you are fully in the right here so keep plugging away
I have tried that mate. Consumer Direct said just write them a letter but because they have offered to pay for the part and because it's an old car nothing will come of it. I actually got the feeling she felt i was wasting her time.. it's calls like this that lead people to take the law into their own hands.

I have tried that mate. Consumer Direct said just write them a letter but because they have offered to pay for the part and because it's an old car nothing will come of it. I actually got the feeling she felt i was wasting her time.. it's calls like this that lead people to take the law into their own hands.

did the car come with no warranty? i would have imagined it come with at least a months for a used one?