First Images from

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Deadline says that John Gatins, writer of the first film, will now start scripting the sequel. There is no deal yet to bring Hugh Jackman and Shawn Levy back, but that could go into the works as things move along. And, obviously, without a sequel script or box office receipts from the first film in hand, this sequel is nowhere near a green light. But if Dreamworks has a couple drafts of the sequel in hand by October, then if Real Steel opens well the sequel can be put on the calendar very fast.

Test screenings have reportedly gone well, with the sci-fi tinged Rocky-like storyline getting a thumbs-up from audiences. The first movie is based loosely on a short story by Richard Matheson (?Steel,? also the basis for a Twilight Zone episode) but as far as we know this sequel will be essentially an original story. How that will affect the sequel script remains to be seen.

http://www.slashfilm.com/screenwriter-hired-real-steel-sequel/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+slashfilm+%28%2FFilm%29&utm_content=FaceBook

Real Steel is based on the 1956 story Steel by sci-fi writer Richard Matheson, the author of What Dreams May Come, Duel, The Incredible Shrinking Man, and I Am Legend. He also wrote the classic Twilight Zone story Nightmare at 20,000 Feet.

The story is more about small time promoter Charlie Kenton and his son Max, who have a strained relationship. Robot boxing is just the background. Sugar Ray Leonard was boxing tech advisor and it was shot here in Michigan. Quite a large project.

Hugh Jackman made a lot of friends in the area - during the longish shoot instead of holeing up in a hotel he rented a house in a suburban community (near Northville - about 25 miles west of Detroit) and moved his mom, wife & kids in. No walled/fenced mansion, just a normal house. No big entourage (1-2 bodyguards who kept their distance), and they walked to local stores & sandwich shops like any local. Everyone in town just loved the guy - very down to Earth & chatty, his kids played with the local kids etc.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm mean no disrespect to anyone anticipating the film, but am I the only one who feels like this is the worst premise for a film ever? I have no idea how it got green lit unless there's something far more to the story than the general premise.

can't be any worse than "Cowboys and Aliens"

can't be any worse than "Cowboys and Aliens"

I have a feeling you're basing your beliefs of that film solely off the title (which is horrible, don't get me wrong), because it's actually not a bad premise. Not original, but the storyline isn't bad.

This movie looks like a VERY good movie to me. I can't wait for it to come out. I'm shocked I've not seen anything about it until today

Looks like a fun movie :)

This movie looks like a VERY good movie to me. I can't wait for it to come out. I'm shocked I've not seen anything about it until today

yeah some people just have to high expectations on movies these days :p I like fun no sense movies

• 2 weeks later...

They were doing filming where I work for this yesterday (Renaissance Center in Detroit / the GM building) ...most of the time just looked like a lot of people standing around doing nothing :p

Sadly, no Evangeline Lilly :( Hugh Jackman was around, but I didn't get any pics of him on set. I have photos of the lobby they made-over for the movie and some of the cars they are using. We think they *may* have had the bust of one of the robots, but they kept it covered the whole time. Several of the photos aren't that clear, sorry...they were really strict about taking photos any where near it all day (constant policing of any area that had direct sight into it), but luckily my office is on the front of the building where they were shooting :p Plus I snuck in shots the day before they did some shooting, but after they reworked our lobby

glad to see Detroit getting some work!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...