Why I won't subscribe

Maybe this was a marketing ploy by Neobond to get people to feel guilty and subscribe :ninja:

been meaning to do it for a while... just never got around to it... honest :shiftyninja:

So let me get this straight.

You're comparing features on a FREE forum (Neowin) to features on a PAID forum (steam, you need to buy there games, and your ISP, which you pay for your monthly subscription).

What part do you not get about this?

And you americans have unlimited. Your unlimited downloading is "freeloading" whereas I have to be carefull to what I download.

1. Not all subs are Americans.

2. LOL @ the notion of Americans having unlimited. One of the largest cable providers, Comcast, enforces a 250GB cap upon all of its users. Just sayin'

3. What does your point as a whole have to do with subscribing anyways?

2. LOL @ the notion of Americans having unlimited. One of the largest cable providers, Comcast, enforces a 250GB cap upon all of its users. Just sayin'

In America, you call that a cap, in Australia, we call that unlimited (yes, that's how bad it is).

Thanks everyone who subscribed, and I understand some people want to, but simply can't afford to.. this is why we do regular giveaways as well.

I'd love to be earning the money whirlpool/steam forums do :devil:

In America, you call that a cap, in Australia, we call that unlimited (yes, that's how bad it is).

Realistically for a good portion of Americans, that is unlimited. Yes, I do some downloading of my own, but in no way does it encroach 250GB, so it basically is unlimited for me. Do some people hit that cap? Probably, but that is a fraction of the populace.

Neobond is clearly happy this thread happened! :shiftyninja:

* Neobond bookmarks to bump this thread next year :p

Thanks everyone who subscribed, and I understand some people want to, but simply can't afford to.. this is why we do regular giveaways as well.

I'd love to be earning the money whirlpool/steam forums do :devil:

You're welcome. Guess this bad thread was good for the forum

That is what they want you to think, I hear rumours on the internets that neobond has a gold plated router n stuff :p

Those are not rumors ;)

post-225596-12771355489308.jpg

And this is just his home router, wait till you see the one at the office :yes:

• Like 2

whilst i don't donate, how i understand it, is that a subscription is more a bonus for donating to the site. So donate if you like the site, as opposed to expecting a ****ing dog and pony show, for giving money to keep a site alive.

You do realise that Steam and Whirlpool.net.au are businesses, providing them with a great deal of revenue? They can afford it, whereas Neowin has to solely rely on ads and subscriptions to maintain and upgrade their servers. In order to cope with demand Neowin has to understandably put a few limits on its users.

at least have a ****ing clue what your talking about, do you even know what whirlpool.net.au is.

So indirectly making this thread, I made people subscribe lol. :D

After so many people say they subscribe to support, I'm inclind to include myself as well. On this thursday, I might subscribe to the first tier.

Neowin has been a great support forum for me. I have been visiting this forum everyday and I did mean everyday. Every time I get on my computer every morning I click on my Neowin forums bookmark link and read new stuff. I have posted for help and have received help. After some people here noticed that I am "one-sided minded", I decided to "grow up" and give back what I benefit so much since 2003 (when I signed up). *Me waits for Thursday.*

After so many people say they subscribe to support, I'm inclind to include myself as well. On this thursday, I might subscribe to the first tier.

Neowin has been a great support forum for me. I have been visiting this forum everyday and I did mean everyday. Every time I get on my computer every morning I click on my Neowin forums bookmark link and read new stuff. I have posted for help and have received help. After some people here noticed that I am "one-sided minded", I decided to "grow up" and give back what I benefit so much since 2003 (when I signed up). *Me waits for Thursday.*

Cheers to you mate!

You know, this is the kinda stuff I like to read. I'm glad you see it this way now. Your enlightenment has earned you a rep point (which I rarely give out). (Y)

PS: Prepare to earn a lot of rep points. :p

When I signed up they required a credit card to confirm address and identity. Not sure if this is still true.

You must be remembering wrong. Account verification process is optional. You can do it after you have signed up if you want to.

From Paypal:

For security and legal reasons, there are initial limits on how much money customers can send, receive, and withdraw using their PayPal accounts. Confirming your card raises some of these limits and makes you a Verified PayPal member.
Do I have to become Verified? Once you have reached your sending limit with your PayPal account, you must become Verified to continue sending money with our service.

Unverified accounts just have strict limits (withdraw of 500USD/month etc), but you don't have to initially verify anything.

As far for the actual verification, linking credit card isn't even required in some countries. In some places the confirmation should be doable with a bank transfer or by using bank's verification service.

Hear, hear! Well played, oz. It's inspiring to see an honest change of heart and a big enough pair to admit it and make things right. +1 for you sir.

ive not really used any of the subscription perks, i done it to support this great website.

Same here. I had the funds and having been helped allot by other members on this site, felt that it was a way to give back to the community.

If you ask me, Being a subscriber is not about buying features, its about supporting the site and getting some fun and features in return.

Exactly what I think. I have not used any of the subscriber only features, but I know they are there should I become interested in them at a later time.

So... is there any fee that could possibly be worked out to actually get Steven Parker to come clean my house? Lawn could use a little work too.

More seriously, it's good to see oz eager to help out the community. I've subscribed for 2 years in the past but couldn't back in February I believe being in between paychecks, tax return, and such. I had 4 damn dollars... that's right $4 in the bank. Managed to win a free Sub? subscription though! For that reason alone, I'll continue to support the site whenever I can! :D

Way to go, mate.

I had a look at your website. I knew you would see reason sooner or later. :)

Already repped you.