Looking for HTIB

Hello, I'm looking for a home theater package that is good, at least for the price. I know for $300-400 I'm not going to get something as nice as I'd like but I wanted to see what you guys thought.

I found this one earlier: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BEDQR6/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0MHRFVKNDX30EGAJHDKF&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Or maybe I could find a receiver somewhere on eBay and find a nice speaker package to go with it?

I think the one you linked to is a great value. I dont think you are going to get much better for that price range. That receiver has a good amount of HDMI inputs and features that should hold you over until you are ready to upgrade. The speakers are going to be your weakest link but for movie watching and video games... it is a good 5.1 setup for under $300.

Be sure to get your own speaker wire (12 guage). Onkyo provides speaker wire in box but it is almost like using a piece of string.

definatly don't need 12 guage speaker wire 14 or even 18 would be enough. it is a 600 watt unit divided by 5 possibly 6 channels and that is at max power. The sub is a passive subwoofer meaning that it gets its power from the reciever. The wire that it comes with will probably be adequate and will handle the little bit of power that gets to each speaker (around 100W to each speaker). There isn't going to be enough loss to warrant 12 guage wire.

here you go, a good site for a read up on selecting the correct guage of wire

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

I'll def be getting better speaker wire. Is it bad that the sub is passive? Should I spend a little more and get a better system? Also, if I do move up to better speakers is that one going to be good enough for good speakers? I have a good set of Acoustic Research speakers but are way too big for my apartment right now. AR-303s I think.

never said to not get better speaker wire, just saying that the included would be adequate; besides sometimes the speakers and/or reciever has special plugs or are hard wired into the speakers themselves. spending more on a different unit is up to you. I think you will be fine with the system you have priced. Just was saying, more or less, that your reciever is rated at 600W max output and that your sub will take up to 100W max by itself.

I would say that you are better off going to a store and listening to systems yourself then shopping online to get the best price, that way you pick the one that you like in your price range that you are looking for. I am a little biased towards sony's high end es series but they are a bit out of your price range, getting into the es is a $600 investment just for the reciever, when you add speakers you could be in the 1500 - 2000 range and that is if you go on the cheap (spend money once every 10-20 years or so, not everytime they change something to sell their products. go big or don't go at all).

I too am a HUGE fan of Sony's ES line. I have a Sony CX90ES 200-disc CD changed and it's amazing. Best sounding cd player I've ever heard and it has a keyboard input and output for a monitor. I loved that thing and I was lucky enough to get it at a Sony outlet new for $300 when it was retailing for $1200. It's too bad I don't really use cd's anymore. I should take a good hard look at my living room to see if I can fit my AR-303's mains in there and then buy a receiver for now, a nice one. Then I can use NHT Zero's as the rears and center speakers. I'm just very, very impatient and I want a system NOW. I'm playing MSG4 right now and I want surround sound so bad, I have a 60" 1080p tv and am using an old stereo with speakers with a 5" and a dome tweeter and that's not too bad. I'm getting a pair of z-5500's soon and selling my z-5300's, I could always use those until I decide.

I have an old str-da333es (80w per channel) bought new in 2000. It is still going strong and sounding great. other than wanting hdmi inputs, I see no reason to replace it. 10 years old and still supports HTX, 5.1, and just about any of the current standards. Sux with no HDMI though, has s video and fiber audio inputs. Again, still not sure if I want to replace it. Stupid blueray.