WCup overall attendance 3rd highest in history

JOHANNESBURG - The overall attendance at the World Cup was the third highest in history, behind the 1994 tournament in the United States and the last World Cup in Germany.

FIFA, world football's ruling body, said in a statement Monday that 3.18 million fans attended the 64 matches in South Africa. The average attendance was 49,670.

The '94 World Cup in the U.S. ? where 3.59 million people watched games at the stadiums ? still holds the record. In Germany four years ago, 3.36 million attended.

Organizers in South Africa acknowledged concerns over fan attendance leading up to the tournament before eventually agreeing to sell match tickets over the counter ? a friendlier method for locals.

FIFA also said the average number of goals per game in South Africa was 2.27, down from 2.30 in Germany and 2.50 goals per game in Japan and South Korea in 2002.

Source : NBCSports

I think Brazil will top the '94 WC by far. I bet attendace will be huge, without even factoring tourists. It's the country of "futebol" after all ;)

I think Brazil will top the '94 WC by far. I bet attendace will be huge, without even factoring tourists. It's the country of "futebol" after all ;)

How so? They hosted it twice already? :p

makes sense, they reserved so many seats for the locals but they had trouble selling them for the low low costs the locals were getting. and can you blame them? sourth africa is a pretty poor country and im sure most of the locals their have bigger things to worry about.