Why isn't Linux Community active on neowin!?

Because I stopped using Linux as my main OS. :(

You raise another issue, and I'm not necessarily raising it with you but your post is related to it.

A lot of ppl will try Linux out of curiosity, they'll whack Ubuntu on a partition, fire it up and see that, well, on the surface it's just like Windows. Being an inferior clone and not worthy of any more attention they'll go back to Windows.

You have to convince ppl to scratch beneath the surface, they couldn't be bothered and complain when you tell them to rtfm, and you get nowhere. I guess this is why I recommend Arch or another DIY distro, because the feeling of accomplishment and knowledge gained from building your own OS and then using it every day IMO is better than just being presented with a Gnome desktop full of familiar Windows apps. You get out what you put in IMO, and in an instant gratification seeking age most don't consider it worth the effort.

A lot of ppl will try Linux out of curiosity, they'll whack Ubuntu on a partition, fire it up and see that, well, on the surface it's just like Windows. Being an inferior clone and not worthy of any more attention they'll go back to Windows.

No Distro trolling please.

I differ with the idea that Ubuntu is inferior as compared to Windows :no: . You can't expect everyone to figure out how Arch Linux or Gentoo is installed onto a system. Ubuntu is good for those who wanna try out things other than Windows, and in future if any Linux distro can catch up to a decent level, its going to be either Ubuntu, Mint or Fedora.

I agree with the idea that Arch gives you the pleasure of knowing the inherent features of the Operating system and also satisfies your intellectual curiosity, but then again not all are Engineering grads or are those who really want to know all about how things work. What really my point is, if you use Ubuntu, or any distribution for that matter, for a while; you will definitely like to know further, and it should be our job to help people in knowing and learning it further and also to promote it. I see most of the people around me ditching linux because they think it to be too complicated and for geeks.

You have to convince ppl to scratch beneath the surface, they couldn't be bothered and complain when you tell them to rtfm, and you get nowhere. I guess this is why I recommend Arch or another DIY distro, because the feeling of accomplishment and knowledge gained from building your own OS and then using it every day IMO is better than just being presented with a Gnome desktop full of familiar Windows apps. You get out what you put in IMO, and in an instant gratification seeking age most don't consider it worth the effort.

Then you basically want Linux to be for "elites" only because very, very few people want to tinker with their OS. When it comes down to it even Ubuntu is still too complicated.

Please, stop the ignorance.

How many people DON'T tinker with their OS? Trying different backgrounds and themes and etc...

Sure, it's not as "technical" in theory, but that's because we've had over a decade to figure out

how to do it. I'm making changes in Linux now as easy and quickly as I can still do in Windows.

It's a matter of perspective. Linux seems like a lot of work because the LEARNING is the work,

not the doing. The only reason I'm doing any tinkering in Linux is because I want to, not because

I need to. I haven't had a single applicatication crash on me; I haven't had the OS, itself, crash

on me. These things tell me that everything is running stable, and therefore require zero "tinkering".

Then you basically want Linux to be for "elites" only because very, very few people want to tinker with their OS. When it comes down to it even Ubuntu is still too complicated.

Am I the only person who doesn't mind it being that way? I don't engage in the snobby/elitist attitude about it, certainly, but I have no problem with it remaining a minority OS for "nerds". If it became popular, it'd lose some of the little things that make it attractive to us--the in-humour, the DIY-nature of it, and the security. I like that it's quirky and requires some effort. I agree with 08993 -- most people aren't willing to put time and effort into things these days, they just want a quick fix. I, however, will stay quietly and happily in my odd little *nix corner and let the mainstream do their thing.

Please, stop the ignorance.

How many people DON'T tinker with their OS?

Everyone over 30.

Seriously, desktop backgrounds don't change in my circles unless I change it for them.

Everyone over 30.

Guess I'm in the minority heh, I'm well over 30, and I'm constantly finding new ways to cause an OS to implode on itself. For me anyway, tinkering involves gutting a part of the OS down to its source and finding creative ways to use/abuse it. Wallpaper/gadgets/etc, that's eyecandy, in which case I'm in that group.. my desktop rarely ever changes.

Everyone over 30.

Seriously, desktop backgrounds don't change in my circles unless I change it for them.

Then you have small circles. I'm in the military: I've been all over the world and worked with

just about every stereotype you've heard of. I don't know anyone that can resists "tinkering"

with their computer; regardless of the OS.

You know what... something just occured to me about what you said.

The REASON the folks in your circles aren't "tinkering"... is because you're doing it for them.

Therefore, it DOES require tinkering, the end-user just isn't seeing it.

Like I stated before--- Once I set it up and a little hard wire to get one driver for my wireless--

I think I only crashed it three times in a year -- and that was because I was tinkering-- decided I would try out the latest Repository of LXDE--- But a quick uninstall and remove the repository and get the default one and it was back up. The other one was when I was trying to watch something on ABC.COM. and the other time was when I was setting it up.

Other than that- It JUST WORKS.

Everyone over 30.

Bleh - I could be judgemental and jump to conclusions about your post-count and your age If I wanted

Anyway, the OP's question has answered itself in the thread, the Linux discussed here isn't the same Linux I discuss elsewhere.

Everyone over 30.

Guess I'm in the minority heh, I'm well over 30, and I'm constantly finding new ways to cause an OS to implode on itself. For me anyway, tinkering involves gutting a part of the OS down to its source and finding creative ways to use/abuse it. Wallpaper/gadgets/etc, that's eyecandy, in which case I'm in that group.. my desktop rarely ever changes.

Everyone over 30? Really? I am 51 and still customize my ubuntu desktop almost every week. I guess this shows the mistake of making such generalized statements

Maybe we're exceptions to the rule ....er generalization? I'm 33, and constantly tinker and customize my OS.

I'm 9 still customizing since day one.

lol. At 9 I think I was still playing with the Atari 2600. Might have been the Commodore 64, I can't remember.

Thanks for making me feel old... jerk! :)

I guess I'm getting into that category too. Before Windows 7 I ran Linux all the time and changed things constantly. Now I want consistency. I guess it means I'm finally growing up. :p

It's sort of funny, I ran mostly Linux for 3 years and only Linux for over two years. Now I prefer Windows 7.

Well now I run XPSP3 on the Laptop and WIndows 7 on the desktop but still have my linux box up in the bedroom plus have Linux in different Virtual Boxes--- and I am 35... and still I love to tinker ....

Though you tell me what else to run on this setup.

Pentium III 933mhz with 256mb memory and 40 gig hard drive with a Nvidia Geforce 4 - 64bit video card-- Runs Ubuntu 9.04 without a hitch other than startup time of 55 seconds and 24seconds after the login to full desktop. -- But lately though the wireless internet takes about 30-40 seconds before it is fully up to the web.

I think that's part of my problem, Growled. I'm going backwards.

If I had been used to Linux first, and then went to Windows 7 (as opposed to ANY of their other

OSes), I'd have been like WOW this is easy.

I love Windows 7. A LOT. What I don't like is the Microsoft price tags. Even being military and

getting reduced costs on a lot of software stuff, it still get expensive quick. Having been trying

Linux for a couple of weeks now and seeing that I can do almost anything with it for free... I'm

looking at cost over easy.

I said almost anything because I miss how well my games ran under Windows 7. With what I

paid for my computer... I hate not taking full advantage of that power. I may just have to go

with a dual-boot system until Steam launches their Linux client and (hopefully) more developers

start targeting Linux.

I gotta confess. I've been using another OS lately. I used Linux the majority of the time when I was still in school. Not too long ago I started tinkering with iPhone app development for a bit and kinda stuck with OSX for regular use instead of booting back and forth. Can you forgive me Linux? :(

Usually the default Gnome configuration on Ubuntu never stays with my install. Theme changes are a definite must and gnome-panel gets ripped out for an alternative like AWN.

I love Windows 7. A LOT. What I don't like is the Microsoft price tags. Even being military and

getting reduced costs on a lot of software stuff, it still get expensive quick. Having been trying

Linux for a couple of weeks now and seeing that I can do almost anything with it for free... I'm

looking at cost over easy.

I think my problem is a bit like Rob's. I bring a lot of my work home and since we are strictly a MS shop, I need Windows around. I start using it and when work turns to pleasure I stay in Windows. I agree, Windows can be expensive but most of the same programs are available for both platforms. One program I just don't like in either platform is the Gimp. Photoshop has spoiled me.

You might try GLX-Dock. I actually like it better than Avant now.

Winstep Nexus is what I used with Win7.

I use Docky, and i prefer it over Avant. Its light weight and has enuf features. saves a lot of load time. :shifty:

i only recently switched to linux full time 2 months ago and only reboot into windows if something don't work in linux which is rare. neowin is aimed more towards the MS os rather than any other so that is why you see more activity for ms rather than linux or mac(steve fail jobs cough cough...lol)