[Forbes] Manchester United rated as richest club in world

Manchester United has been rated as the most valuable sporting club in the world.

A study done by Forbes.com said that shrewd marketing to a worldwide fan base made Manchester United the richest club in the world.

Forbes released its list of the world's most valuable teams on Wednesday, with the Premier League club valued at $1.84 billion.

The second highest and top North American franchise is the National Football League's Dallas Cowboys valued at $1.65 billion.

The New York Yankees, Washington Redskins, New England Patriots, Real Madrid, New York Giants, Arsenal, New York Jets and Houston Texans are also in the top 10.

United's top ranking is in spite of the club's heavy debt, with Forbes factoring in endorsements, merchandise sales, sponsorship and television revenues when considering a company's value.

Amid protests from fans, Manchester United's owners Glazer family has said it would not entertain offers to buy the club, which has around $1 billion of debt.

Top 10 Sports Teams by value (Rank ? Team/Sport ? Value $ millions)

1.Manchester United (soccer) 1,835

2.Dallas Cowboys (football) 1,650

3.New York Yankees (baseball) 1,600

4.Washington Redskins (football) 1,550

5.New England Patriots (football) 1,361

6.Real Madrid (soccer) 1,323

7.New York Giants (football) 1,183

8.Arsenal (soccer) 1,181

9.New York Jets (football) 1,170

10.Houston Texans (football) 1,150

To know more read Forbes? ?The World?s Most Valuable Teams And Athletes? article here

Source

I'm surprised there isn't more soccer in there. ?Surely soccer would have a bigger fan base than American football? or is American football just very expensive now?

I'm surprised there isn't more soccer in there. Surely soccer would have a bigger fan base than American football? or is American football just very expensive now?

I suppose it depends on what is considered as value.

Man U didn't have any debt before the Glazers used the club to buy them, the Glazers themselves only contributed around 150 million and they have been sucking it dry ever since. Going from the most profitable and well run sports club in the world to over a billion in debt is a disgrace. They can barely keep the interest payments under control. I doubt they will ever leave as long as they can keep funnelling money to themselves and selling off Man U's assets one by one. You can tell the Man U Executives and Manager are putting on brave faces, they know they are totally screwed but why bother saying it, will only make it worse.

I don't think it matters about the wealth of the owner, only the assets of the club.

If it was based on the owner, Chelsea would take the title because of Abramovich's estimated 5+ billion dollar worth. The Arab who owns Man City is only worth a few billion by himself (if that, although his total family worth is around 700-800 billion dollars).

Oh, they are mega loaded, there's no doubt about it. And they're one of the few rich England clubs that are willing to offer ridiculous offers for players of all sort.

I imagine Man City have more "cash" available at their disposal, whereas Man Utd have a stronger brand, assets and are in general higher valued

I imagine Man City have more "cash" available at their disposal, whereas Man Utd have a stronger brand, assets and are in general higher valued

that makes sense, United have long established themselves as a strong club and they've always had a loyal fan base that will buy their merchandise and i would imagine their sponsors pay a good amount :yes:

The Redskins? really? I know their owner is loaded but the Redskins? lol.With the amount of Lakers jerseys I see i'm surprised the LA Lakers didn't make the list.

The Redskins? really? I know their owner is loaded but the Redskins? lol.With the amount of Lakers jerseys I see i'm surprised the LA Lakers didn't make the list.

Lakers are at 49, and the Cowboys are at number two because they have the most expensive stadium in the world.

Lakers are at 49, and the Cowboys are at number two because they have the most expensive stadium in the world.

That stadium is ridiculous.

I'm quite shocked, but then again when you think about it - many soccer (for the sake of this list and clarity) clubs don't actually own their own stadiums, nor do they individually negotiate television rights. But this list doesn't take into account the value of players does it?

I'm quite shocked, but then again when you think about it - many soccer (for the sake of this list and clarity) clubs don't actually own their own stadiums, nor do they individually negotiate television rights. But this list doesn't take into account the value of players does it?

No it doesn't about the redskins is paying a player 100 million so.