Xcode 4 Preview 2 available for download

Have I mentioned how much I adore Xcode 4? I would marry it, bear its children and clean up after it -- that's how much I love it. But Xcode 4 hasn't been readily available for general use. Until now.

As of this evening, you can download Xcode 4 Preview 2 and throw yourself into it's exuberant yum. At least you can if you're a member of one of the paid developer programs. Yes, all that Xcode 4 goodness is now yours to enjoy, whether you went to WWDC or not.

So point your browser over to Apple's developer site, log in with your Mac or iPhone paid developer credentials, and download yourself a big hot steaming pile of IDE yum. It's like the chocolate lava volcano cake of development tools.

Source: http://www.tuaw.com/2010/07/22/xcode-4-preview-2-available-for-download/

Can't wait to get back from work and try it out (I can't believe I missed that one last night... :blink: )

I'm hoping they've simplified UI development. Being a .NET developer, UI development has always been really easy with Visual Studio, and I'd rather spend my time writing functional code, not trying to get the UI to work, so this is a good change. Can't wait until the final version is released.

I'm hoping they've simplified UI development. Being a .NET developer, UI development has always been really easy with Visual Studio, and I'd rather spend my time writing functional code, not trying to get the UI to work, so this is a good change. Can't wait until the final version is released.

I've been waiting to try out the new UI since the WDCC... can't wait :devil: It's going to work great when I finally get a new 27" iMac

Integrated Interface Builder is awesome!

I bet...can't wait to try it out!!! I'll be transferring my next project I was working on to Xcode4...hopefully the final version will be released by the time I'm done so I can build the final binary with it otherwise I'll keep the last version handy just to build the final product for submission

I started my first iPhone app with Xcode 3, but I ran into some road blocks, and then I changed my mind about how I wanted to do the UI (and the change I wanted to do would need a complete rewrite of pretty much the entire thing other than the navigation). One of the biggest issues I've had is switching from a Table View to another table view with custom cells. I haven't found much info on how to do this. It's always going from a Table View to a regular view, or a regular view to a table view. If I could figure out how to do reusable table views and just change the cells to custom cells, that would greatly simplify my design, and then I could just put all of the logic into separate classes so the binary size would be reduced considerably instead of having a view for every single thing I do. Not sure how much Xcode 4 will help with that though.

If you install Xcode 4, what happens to Xcode 3 and the separate Interface Builder already installed on Snow Leopard?

If you install Xcode 4, what happens to Xcode 3 and the separate Interface Builder already installed on Snow Leopard?

If you install in the same location it will get replaced, if you install in another folder you will have both version on you mac

So that?s what this Marble project was all about, right? It?s pretty great :D

That actually looks better and gives users a much better workflow! I?ve always preferred single-window applications rather than others where the tools are pretty much everywhere and make a mess out of your desktop. But OS X applications aren?t really oriented towards fullscreen apps unfortunately, but since a few years, they?ve done some (slow) progress there nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...

To be a little more clear than Rudy:

Xcode 4 Developer Release 2 installs itself, by default, in the root of your drive under /Xcode4 so you can install the preview without any worry if it messing up your working development environment.