France World Cup squad suspended for Norway friendly

The French Football Federation has suspended all 23 members of France's World Cup squad for their next game.

New France coach Laurent Blanc requested that no member of the squad be selected for a friendly against Norway in Oslo on 11 August.

France failed to win any of their three group games in South Africa.

The campaign included players boycotting training in support of Nicolas Anelka, who was sent home for insulting coach Raymond Domenech.

Blanc said: "I obviously cannot act as if nothing had happened in South Africa."

"I followed the events with sadness, I was disappointed with the sporting results and I was shocked by certain behaviours.

"I will integrate these elements into my analysis and my thoughts. I always had the principles, rules of conduct and not just in my sporting life. They have not changed and I will not change."

The crisis that engulfed Domenech's last tournament as national coach resulted in the resignation of FFF president Jean-Pierre Escalettes, with his successor due to be unveiled on Friday.

Source

Quite an empty gesture really as it's only a friendly. I bet half the players wouldn't have been interested in playing anyway, ah well at least they'll get some rest.