10 reasons to choose Linux

OMG Linuxy stuff on the Linux section! Let's hope the Windows crew doesn't... too late.

bearforce1-xmas2.jpg

I changed Quattrone's quote to express my experience with the 64-bit Windows 7 on my desktop:

I never have a single crash or BSOD with GNU/Linux. In fact I have tested Ubuntu in my 64-bit system and between Windows 7 and Ubuntu is like comparing a skate (Windows 7) to KITT (Ubuntu).

In fact, Windows doesn't crash/BSOD when run in (networked) safe-mode.

In fact, Windows doesn't crash/BSOD when run in (networked) safe-mode.

Does safe-mode mean you are also protected for viruses?

Oh forget I asked, it still has access to the network. :whistle:

There's a solution for the doc issue, save your files in an open format.

Firefox can use the same fonts as Windows.

For the things I do, doc format is a must. lol

I tried using Windows Firefox font settings. No luck.

Reasons not to choose Linux:

-No Games

-No Microsoft Office (the best and most used productivity suite out there)

-Not easy to maintain for the average user (believe me, if an Xorg error pops up, the average user won't know how to solve it)

-Still relies on console commands for installing some stuff

-Package names are confusing for most distros (yep right, because everyone knows what gstreamer-ugly-plugins is)

These are MY reasons I'll never be able to use Linux as my main OS.

- Games are available in Linux. And as you might know Steam games will be platform independent soon.

- Opinionated reason. OpenOffice is the best office suite out there, in my opinion.

- That's supposed to be a joke, right?

- No. Unless you are talking about Linux from 10 years ago.

- Firefox, Open Office, Thunderbird, Chrome, (...). Same naming as in Windows. You don't need to install that manually, just install the restricted-extras. Doesn't sound confusing to me. In fact when the media player tries to play a format that isn't supported on your system it will ask you if you wish to install the needed codec packages.

For the things I do, doc format is a must. lol

I tried using Windows Firefox font settings. No luck.

Have you posted about that in the help section? It's quite easy to have Firefox use Windows fonts.

Give me Adobe CS for linux. Without it linux can only be good for a server.

:rolleyes:

I tried Linux back when I was doing network security course, and well, yes its great for security and all, but for a newbie who doesn't know much about PC's or the older generation, I couldn't recommend using it at all.

Drivers for Linux back then were a mess, installing anything was horrible, and the GUI was confusing at times, even to me. Mind you, this was back in the RedHat days, things im sure has changed since then - but that was enough to put me off Linux for ever Im afraid.

* Security ? why are the default security settings of Windows XP so bad?

Is that really an fact or just an thinking? Firefox was a long time the safest browser. and today?

High statistics, high lags.

* Desktop usability ? what is wrong with Windows? usability and how it is corrected in GNU/Linux desktops?

Windows is build for a graphical UI. In linux I often have to use the shell for drivers, install software and something like that.

* Installing software ? ok, you thought it can?t be easier than double-clicking the setup.exe file? Think again!

dependences, (nearly) every distribution needs its own compilation. not every software are available for this distribution which I use.

make config, config, install... I prefer setup.exe (actually I prefer binaries in windows, portable apps. *click* and start)

* Upgrading ? ever thought that upgrading your system and all its appliactions could be as executing one single command? No? Well, GNU/Linux is exactly this way.

Yes, it is possible to update all my software with one click or command in Linux. But with up-to-date it has nothing to do.

* System crashes ? every desktop crashes, but how to get over it?

I don't see the advantages in Linux. In all systems can a crash be fatal.

* Performance ? is Linux really that much faster than Windows? Well? it is.

I would like to have examples. My personal feeling for things for my daily routine (surf in web, music, watching videos and pictures, office)... It is not.

* The power of console ? learn how to improve your productivity by using the terminal

No! I prefer to use an GUI.

* Remote access in GNU/Linux ? how to connect remotely to your Linux box

I don't know on Linux. But on Windows are many ways to do that.

* Philosophy and licencing of Linux ? how does it differ from the proprietary software?

For using at home? It's not important for me. I'm not a developer. Opensource, closed source... It doesn't cares me.

* Cost and TCO of Linux ? what is cheaper ? Linux or Windows?

For my nerves? Windows! Else... For free is not always the best.

This are just my experiences. There are some other Reasons why I don't use Linux.

I want to use the best programs for what i need. Windows have beautiful software which I do not want to miss.

your explanation for every heading is good, but you want to learn Linux there is numerous ways.

now i am also learning stage, its very interesting to learn.

Just try and enjoy...! :cool:

Have you posted about that in the help section? It's quite easy to have Firefox use Windows fonts.

Of course I have MS fonts on my Linux box (was one of the first things I learnt when I played with Linux). The Windows Firefox font settings just don't give the same result on Linux.

I always seek advice from the distro's own forum (first Ubuntu, then OpenSUSE, then PCLOS). It's a known fact that Firefox font looks terrible on Linux. Nothing has changed over the years. Hopefully with Ubuntu's new and open topography, something can be done about this. I mean you're used to the Linux Firefox font rendering but as someone who came from Windows, I don't think the quality is comparable.

With all that said, MSO is the primary reason why I can't adopt *nix full time.

your explanation for every heading is good, but you want to learn Linux there is numerous ways.

now i am also learning stage, its very interesting to learn.

Just try and enjoy...!

I have no problems with Linux, of course it is interesting. But a replacement for Windows (at the moment) it will never be.

I tried Linux back when I was doing network security course, and well, yes its great for security and all, but for a newbie who doesn't know much about PC's or the older generation, I couldn't recommend using it at all.

Drivers for Linux back then were a mess, installing anything was horrible, and the GUI was confusing at times, even to me. Mind you, this was back in the RedHat days, things im sure has changed since then - but that was enough to put me off Linux for ever Im afraid.

you are correct, but for newer generation always go on line of dominating windows, why they are not ready to try Linux..

now a days Linux providing various OS according to usage.... :rolleyes:

I have no problems with Linux, of course it is interesting. But a replacement for Windows (at the moment) it will never be.

For now i am using dual boot Main OS{windows vista} and second boot{Ubuntu 10}

Does safe-mode mean you are also protected for viruses?

Oh forget I asked, it still has access to the network. :whistle:

Ask Windows Joe... I was jus' trying it, bra!

For now i am using dual boot Main OS{windows vista} and second boot{Ubuntu 10}

My last Linux was Debian 4. At the moment no Linux. Maybe my current PC will the next Linux PC. At the end of this year I will build a new.

Well it's great for learning. You have great tools at your disposal if you are willing to learn. You can turn yourself into a hacker in no time.

( hacker here means code hacker, 'cause that's what you mean, right? )

Yeah pretty much, right the from start you're going to be learning how to use CLI anyway, this type of experience will have you going further into other projects you might get into.

* Desktop usability ? what is wrong with Windows? usability and how it is corrected in GNU/Linux desktops?

* Installing software ? ok, you thought it can?t be easier than double-clicking the setup.exe file? Think again!

* Upgrading ? ever thought that upgrading your system and all its appliactions could be as executing one single command? No? Well, GNU/Linux is exactly this way.

* The power of console ? learn how to improve your productivity by using the terminal

* Philosophy and licencing of Linux ? how does it differ from the proprietary software?

Taken straight for 3.5 years ago...

I think Win 7 closes the gap a touch.

Outdated biased list. I agree with the points "The power of console", and "Installing software" (IF the software is in one of the repositories, otherwise it's a PITA)... the others, no.

- Games are available in Linux. And as you might know Steam games will be platform independent soon.

- Opinionated reason. OpenOffice is the best office suite out there, in my opinion.

- That's supposed to be a joke, right?

- No. Unless you are talking about Linux from 10 years ago.

- Firefox, Open Office, Thunderbird, Chrome, (...). Same naming as in Windows. You don't need to install that manually, just install the restricted-extras. Doesn't sound confusing to me. In fact when the media player tries to play a format that isn't supported on your system it will ask you if you wish to install the needed codec packages.

:rolleyes:

Seriously, I can see how technical people like us can fail to see the "average user" point of view, but you're woefully deluded. Windows (7) is simple in its operation, generally not requiring any hunting around for 'linux alternatives', drivers, etc.. and many people have a hard enough time not screwing that up.

Don't kid yourself, Windows 7 is MUCH more user friendly than ANY linux distro. Keep in mind the fact that your "Average user" can't even install their own operating system, let alone set up a linux distro.

Anyone with a technical prowess over that of a high school know it all will refute your claims to death, so please stop pretending that linux is a good option for the "average user".

Also, Linux has its appeals to certain people... but I need windows because good linux alternatives to some software I use simply don't exist.

And that's the crux of it, Caleo: Microsoft dependancy.

What really sucks is that we COULD have one operating system to rule them all...

but folks just can't seem to grasp the power of that. Instead, we've let Microsoft

run the roost for so long that all the other companies- from hardware vendors

and their drivers, to software programmers- are in a "must" position in order

to maximize profits by reaching the most people. Therefore, gamers suffer if

they move away from Windows and businesses suffer if they move away from

Office.

And that's the crux of it, Caleo: Microsoft dependancy.

What really sucks is that we COULD have one operating system to rule them all...

Okay, now listen to yourself...

but folks just can't seem to grasp the power of that. Instead, we've let Microsoft

run the roost for so long that all the other companies- from hardware vendors

and their drivers, to software programmers- are in a "must" position in order

to maximize profits by reaching the most people. Therefore, gamers suffer if

they move away from Windows and businesses suffer if they move away from

Office.

So you just said that there IS one operating system that rules them all. Not "COULD", but "is." That would be Windows. As you said, almost everything revolves around it.

I would have to say the average user wouldn't use Linux due to it

doesn't act like a Windows system. Most wouldn't understand the

difference between a user account and root access. A Linux system

and windows system both have their good points and bad. I've used

Linux for many years and it not meant for gaming unless it's written

for it.

Linux is good for surfing the net, email, web design, video editing,

playing DVDs and a few other things. The only thing right now about

Linux I'm hoping that is going to get resolved is blu-ray support.

The only way I can see Linux spreading to the masses ... if a tablet

type device comes out from Google.

You can change them. You can get additional software. But of course I love how in Linux getting additional software or changing default settings is a point for it but on Windows it's a point against it.

That really depends on what. Some niches Linux fills better than Windows but in many other areas it totally fails. Hardware configuration is one of them.

Depends. The repository system is easier if and only if it has what you want. Everything else is a pain in the ass by comparison.

* Upgrading ? ever thought that upgrading your system and all its applications could be as executing one single command? No? Well, GNU/Linux is exactly this way.

It's worth mentioning that upgrading your system in Linux often leads to a slew of other problems. I've never had it go smoothly. I always fresh install (I do the same in Windows but it has been less problematic by comparison).

In my experience Linux crashes more frequently. Got to love Flash Player hard locking your system on Linux.

It really depends on what you're referring to. There are slews of really slow distros out there. On laptops Linux's power management features are sorely lacking which result in significantly shorter battery life. It sucks not being able to suspend or hibernate your laptop.

Depends on what your task is. Also, Windows has a variety of CLI environments so this isn't exactly a Linux exclusive.

This can be done on Windows with great ease.

Most people don't find it important.

Depends on what you're trying to do.

As a disclaimer, I've been using Linux for years but I really don't see how people can switch. I tried to go Linux only. I did it for two years. After dealing with utterly retarded issues for two years I decided to resume my use of Windows. At first it was neat but then I got tired of doing all the little things. It's an OS in need of constant attention. I didn't care much for the community either. I remember talking about how the app "Hardware Manager" didn't let you manage your hardware--you could only view the current configuration--and as such it should either work towards doing what its name implied or change its name. Then came an onslaught of "This isn't Windows [...]" or "Learn to use Linux [...]" comments. Seeing this over and over again made me lose all faith in the community.

I use to believe learning Linux could turn you into a hacker.

Those were fun times.

Is Your Son a Computer Hacker? (scroll down to #8)

Personally, I'm sick of all these <the OS I choose to use> is better than <the OS you choose to use> because <of some reason that's probably irrelevant to you>. Wanna know why I use Linux. Because it's better FOR ME. I couldn't care less if you use it or not, and I'm somewhat offended by those that try to push it onto people that don't want it. It's like those religious people that go door to door telling to that you're going to hell if you don't "accept christ" or some random bull**** like that.

I'll give you some advice (might be irrelevant)

Convince yourself with action, don't build false hopes that support your research. Try and truly learn Linux if you're interested in it.

I don't know why I keep running into your posts, but might I kindly request that you *not* tell other people not to build false hope that "support" one's research? It seems that just a few days ago you were trying to tell anyone who would listen that you had a copy of Windows 8 and you posted badly photo-shopped screenshots and insisted that they were real.

At any rate, while I respect Linux as an operating system, I don't agree that installing software is easier than in Windows. If I want to try something new and open source in Windows, I grab its setup or msi, and run it, and that's it, I start using the app within a matter of minutes.

For Linux, in my experience, for apps not included in the built-in repository, you must add the respository, fetch a key (might be wrong about this, I just remember having to do it), and then opening up a terminal to type out the install command. And even then, what if there's an application on Windows that lets me pick and choose what parts to install? I like the extended options in Windows setup files, and don't seem to find them in Linux, even if it's something as small as picking the location to install a program.

And before I get shot down by some blind Linux fanboy, please read: I enjoy using Linux and dualboot it on my netbook. That combined with the Segoe font and the Elementary system theme makes for a damn good looking and functioning OS which turns on pretty quick.

Most people don't find it important.

Most people are selfish *******. Some aren't.

stallman-fruit.jpg