New Grid, Operation Flashpoint coming from Codemasters

July 26th, 2010 @ 14:17

By Johnny Cullen

Codemasters? SVP of production Jame MacDonald has told Develop that new iterations of Race Driver: Grid and Operation Flashpoint are in development.

The games are currently in development at the company?s Southam studio alongside DiRT 3.

?We?ve got a major launch with F1 coming up in September and developed at our Birmingham studio,? said MacDonald, ?and we hope to draw new IP from there. Our Guildford studio is working hard on Bodycount, and we will be looking to to take that franchise further and further with the addition of more IP.

?In Southam it?s full steam ahead with the next iteration in our Flashpoint series, as well as the next Dirt and Grid. It?ll be interesting to see how it all pans out.?

The original Race Driver: Grid launched in 2008 for PS3, 360, PC and DS, while the last Operation Flashpoint, Dragon Rising, released last year for PS3, 360 and PC.

http://www.vg247.com/2010/07/26/new-grid-operation-flashpoint-coming-from-codemasters/

GRID 2 was pretty much a no-brainer. The first one is brilliant. The only thing I'm concerned with at the moment is how F1 2010 is going to turn out, as at the moment, it looks like GRID, which wouldn't translate well in F1, but nevertheless, I've still pre-ordered it.

I'm really surprised that they're doing another Operation Flashpoint game, as the last one was just terrible. They should leave the tactical shooter genre in the safe hands of Ubisoft with Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon.

I'm really surprised that they're doing another Operation Flashpoint game, as the last one was just terrible. They should leave the tactical shooter genre in the safe hands of Ubisoft with Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon.

I could not agree with you anymore on that. The game was absolutely terrible. I am further more sorry that I actually purchased this game too. The AI is what really makes the game extremely bad, if it would of been much better, then maybe it would of been a better game. But the developers must of been blind and not realized this. How? I have no idea.

Wow, Codies is making Activision seem caring ;D they're working on all of those AND Dirt3? nice cow milking there..

I don't have a problem with them making another operation flash point game so long as they improve it.

Yeah or if you're a true OFP fan, you'd go buy the game made by the true developers and stay far away from this money grab.

Wow, Codies is making Activision seem caring ;D they're working on all of those AND Dirt3? nice cow milking there..

You're blowing it quite out of proportion. The GRID and DiRT games have been fantastic so far. Activision have mostly been releasing mediocre games on a yearly basis, a bit like EA. Codies aren't really sticking to a yearly release schedule. DiRT came out in June 2007, GRID came out in May 2008, and DiRT 2 came out in September 2009.

Yeah or if you're a true OFP fan, you'd go buy the game made by the true developers and stay far away from this money grab.

ArmA II then.

You're blowing it quite out of proportion. The GRID and DiRT games have been fantastic so far. Activision have mostly been releasing mediocre games on a yearly basis, a bit like EA. Codies aren't really sticking to a yearly release schedule. DiRT came out in June 2007, GRID came out in May 2008, and DiRT 2 came out in September 2009.

ArmA II then.

Ha.

The first DiRT maybe, but not the sequel nor GRID. If you like racers with **** handling / US events then yeah I can see the appeal...

I actually like Operation Flashpoint, though I haven not finished much of it yet (I played the one before it as well). The problem I have with it is they screwed the community over by stating they were going to have frequent DLC content, and no such thing happened after the first one.

^ Common story this generation tbh.

It almost has no meaning now when a dev says "lots of DLC" or "frequent/episodic DLC". The last game that really did provide lots was Fallout 3 and before that it was Oblivion imo.

Just look at LBP and how it was going to be some new genre of community game with updates bursting at the seams. All we get is frickin' lame costume packs mooching off every other franchise out there.

Edit: actually I suppose Forza 3 was another generous game with it's car packs. Gears 2 had loads of map as well.

Gears 2 had loads of map as well.

Yeah, most of which were released within a week of the game's release. It seems a trend for developers to create DLC before the game is released and then release it later rather than continuing to support the game with new content (Halo, Fallout, Assassins Creed 2, Mass Effect).

Yeah, most of which were released within a week of the game's release. It seems a trend for developers to create DLC before the game is released and then release it later rather than continuing to support the game with new content (Halo, Fallout, Assassins Creed 2, Mass Effect).

GoW2 release - Nov 7th 2008

DLC:

Combustible Map Pack - Dec 15th 2008

Snowblind Map Pack - March 24th 2009

Dark Corners - July 28th 2009

:p

^ Common story this generation tbh.

It almost has no meaning now when a dev says "lots of DLC" or "frequent/episodic DLC". The last game that really did provide lots was Fallout 3 and before that it was Oblivion imo.

Just look at LBP and how it was going to be some new genre of community game with updates bursting at the seams. All we get is frickin' lame costume packs mooching off every other franchise out there.

Edit: actually I suppose Forza 3 was another generous game with it's car packs. Gears 2 had loads of map as well.

How can you forget Burnout Paradise? :p

Don't think any game this generation has had as much DLC support.

Ha.

The first DiRT maybe, but not the sequel nor GRID. If you like racers with **** handling / US events then yeah I can see the appeal...

What's wrong with US events? We have plenty of amazing circuits. And the handling in GRiD is not crap, it's an arcade racer, it makes no allusions to being a sim racer. It's a simple, fun racer.

What's wrong is how much they are ruining the WRC sport. WRC is not about arenas, fireworks and the rest of that naff tacked on they added to interest the X-Games crowd.

CM is turning in his grave :(

Just wait til GT5 and the full WRC game come out, bet the US audiences want nothing to do with them cause they aren't "stimulating" enough for them.

Also, I never mentioned anything about GRID being a sim racer? Now you're just jumping to conclusions and putting words in my mouth!

What's wrong is how much they are ruining the WRC sport. WRC is not about arenas, fireworks and the rest of that naff tacked on they added to interest the X-Games crowd.

CM is turning in his grave :(

Just wait til GT5 and the full WRC game come out, bet the US audiences want nothing to do with them cause they aren't "stimulating" enough for them.

Also, I never mentioned anything about GRID being a sim racer? Now you're just jumping to conclusions and putting words in my mouth!

I don't follow WRC nor the X-Games type stuff, so I'm not aware of what you are talking about, but I can easily believe it. The purity of the sport, in almost every sport, is being eroded every year by increasing amounts of the popluation with the attention spans of ferrets on crystal meth.

And I never said you did say GRiD was a sim racer. You said the handling was crap and I am merely pointing out that it is an arcade racer, not a sim racer, and hence will not have the "good" realistic physics and handling characteristics.

Sure GRiD had its flaws (interrupting you after every 3rd event to have a LeMans event, etc.) but it really nailed the immersion factor for me. I would be very interested in a sequel, especially if they make it more sim-like.