Does neowin use jQuery and CSS

Question

This is mainly a question for the developers at neowin, is your drop down menu jQuery and CSS driven or just CSS. The only reason I ask is because I just started using jQuery and I have a tutorial which shows you how to create a smooth mouse over menu system and CSS and it looks awesome. Although yours has rounded corners, this has square but the principle is the same. jQuery is easy to learn.

12 answers to this question

I don't think Neowin uses jQuery, but it uses some sort of JavaScript Framework.

Rounded corners is simple to do in CSS, but each standards-compliant browser has it's own version of it in CSS. Technically the code is not valid, but if it works, it works. It's the border-radius property. Mozillas version is -moz-border-radius, Webkit's version is -webkit-border-radius, and I believe Operas is just border-radius.

I believe if Neowins menu was pure (X)HTML and CSS, it would not work in older browsers like IE6.

.. and using different fonts in posts is cool. Might do it more. >.>

IPB uses prototype, but for everything else we use jQuery.

However, the dropdown menus are simple CSS. At most, we have added some transitional effects from jQuery, but it's not used for the basic dropdown functionality.

A quick view source tells you a lot of things :p

They use the scriptaculous/prototype and jquery frameworks, as for the menu system specifically I didn't really dig.

Rounded corners is simple to do in CSS, but each standards-compliant browser has it's own version of it in CSS. Technically the code is not valid, but if it works, it works. It's the border-radius property. Mozillas version is -moz-border-radius, Webkit's version is -webkit-border-radius, and I believe Operas is just border-radius.

The non-prefixed border-radius property works in Webkit too I believe, same for the IE9 previews. It's just Firefox that doesn't support the non-prefixed version, but allegedly Fx4 will.

Ooh, that's cool. Is this true with box-shadow also? I tend to use these in my work as of late, but they do make the code much longer than intended.

box-shadow is a mess at the moment, if anything it'll probably end up with either IE9 getting the prefix, or it's implementation changing in either Gecko or WebKit.

Edit: Ideally the prefix shouldn't be dropped until the module it's in is in the CR (Candidate Recommendation) stage, unfortunately it's on a per module basis, so while border-radius is pretty much done, box-shadow isn't.

IPB uses prototype, but for everything else we use jQuery.

However, the dropdown menus are simple CSS. At most, we have added some transitional effects from jQuery, but it's not used for the basic dropdown functionality.

Thank you, I have only just started using jQuery, and it's the first time I have ever heard of it until yesterday prototype has been around for a while but jQuery is relatively new. jQuery saves a lot of time in coding, its like cutting corners but it's quite powerful.

Not sure why you think jQuery is new, but I am still learning more and better ways of using it. Lovely framework.

Same here, its by far and away the best "general purpose" JS library out there. Its saved me countless hours of coding.

Same here, its by far and away the best "general purpose" JS library out there. Its saved me countless hours of coding.

another jquery fan here. its so adaptable and it has a ridiculous amount of tutorials for beginners/lazy devs lol

box-shadow is a mess at the moment, if anything it'll probably end up with either IE9 getting the prefix, or it's implementation changing in either Gecko or WebKit.

Just in case anybody was wondering what I meant by that, here's some images.

643701912.png260111119.png990797076.png

On the left is Gecko, WebKit is in the middle and on the end is the IE9 preview. The spec doesn't really say what the blur radius actually does/effects, so no browser is wrong or right.