Blu-ray question

Hello everyone!

I have had this 32inch Sony HDTV since earlier this year. I just have a question as I am STILL debating this. On my HDTV that's 720p be worth it for Blu-ray? Some DVD's using my 360 are kind of blah.

It says it has

"24p True Cinema

24p True Cinema mode provides a direct connection to 24p video sources, avoiding conversions and allowing users to enjoy films at their intended 24 fps (frames per second) cinematic picture quality when using a 24p-capable output device, such as a Blu-ray Disc player or PLAYSTATION 3 entertainment system. "

Would blu-ray look alot better then a normal DVD at 720p? Would the black bars be gone (please say yes).

I found LG Blu-ray Disc Player BD270 for a very good price but I am unsure cause the reviews are all mixed. One website says its great, and another says no.

I also found these.

Panasonic Blu-Ray Disc Player #DMPBD65

Samsung Blu Ray Disc Player #BDC5500

Sony Blu-Ray Disc Player #BDPS470

Although the Sony S370 is almost exactly like the S470 except 3D which I dont need.

Hello everyone!

I have had this 32inch Sony HDTV since earlier this year. I just have a question as I am STILL debating this. On my HDTV that's 720p be worth it for Blu-ray? Some DVD's using my 360 are kind of blah.

It says it has

"24p True Cinema

24p True Cinema mode provides a direct connection to 24p video sources, avoiding conversions and allowing users to enjoy films at their intended 24 fps (frames per second) cinematic picture quality when using a 24p-capable output device, such as a Blu-ray Disc player or PLAYSTATION 3 entertainment system. "

Would blu-ray look alot better then a normal DVD at 720p? Would the black bars be gone (please say yes).

I found LG Blu-ray Disc Player BD270 for a very good price but I am unsure cause the reviews are all mixed. One website says its great, and another says no.

I also found these.

Panasonic Blu-Ray Disc Player #DMPBD65

Samsung Blu Ray Disc Player #BDC5500

Sony Blu-Ray Disc Player #BDPS470

Although the Sony S370 is almost exactly like the S470 except 3D which I dont need.

Blu ray is usually uncompressed, so it will look much better than what you get from any online store, tv channel, or stream.

The black bars only go away if the source respects your TV ratio. That being said I've only encountered a few blue ray discs that are like this. On the bright side, it should autofit

Let me elaborate,the source movie is made with a specific ratio if this ratio does not fit a 4x3 or 16x9 whatever your TV or HDTV can handle the black bars will exist. The disc tends to side with the cinematic version to get the full experience.

The quality would be much better, that's for sure.

About the black bars, it all depends on the movie itself and its aspect ratio.

They all have different proportions and most of them will get black bars.

I would recommend you to look for a player that supports MKV, AVCHD discs and can play from USB and/or steaming vie Ethernet or Wifi. There are some good deals you can get, but you need to look thoroughly.

The quality would be much better, that's for sure.

About the black bars, it all depends on the movie itself and its aspect ratio.

They all have different proportions and most of them will get black bars.

I would recommend you to look for a player that supports MKV, AVCHD discs and can play from USB and/or steaming vie Ethernet or Wifi. There are some good deals you can get, but you need to look thoroughly.

Thanks, however do I need that stuff for just the occasional movie though?

Thanks, however do I need that stuff for just the occasional movie though?

First, bluray is definitely awesome and they give 1080 on my HDTV. It is def better than the DVD quality.

I love watching movies in HD and playing games so i went for PS3.... check out the quality in stores.

First, bluray is definitely awesome and they give 1080 on my HDTV. It is def better than the DVD quality.

I love watching movies in HD and playing games so i went for PS3.... check out the quality in stores.

Yeah I've watched movies at 1080p and I can notice a VERY big difference between regular movies and blu-ray there.

I just don't know if it's worth it for 720p.

For the people who said I would notice a difference already...The difference, is it worth the cost??

Blu ray is usually uncompressed, so it will look much better than what you get from any online store, tv channel, or stream.

Blu-ray IS compressed, but not as heavily as DVDs or HD cable. So, if transferred and encoded properly, compression should be invisible.

Yeah I've watched movies at 1080p and I can notice a VERY big difference between regular movies and blu-ray there.

I just don't know if it's worth it for 720p.

For the people who said I would notice a difference already...The difference, is it worth the cost??

To me, it looks great on my 720p TV.

Blu-ray IS compressed, but not as heavily as DVDs or HD cable. So, if transferred and encoded properly, compression should be invisible.

To me, it looks great on my 720p TV.

So for you it's worth it? Big difference or? or small?

Yes it is worth the cost. In most cases Blu-ray players are coming down in price, so at the present the cost makes it worth the buy.

Yes it is worth the cost. In most cases Blu-ray players are coming down in price, so at the present the cost makes it worth the buy.

If you really want the most bang for your buck, get the ps3. The bluray player on it is top of the line, and Sony will not let it die until they let the whole system finally die. If you want a player that has a future for quite some time, get the ps3. I got my ps3 mainly for the bluray player, games 2nd.... though I am using it more on games at the moment, as I have watched all my movies on it already :p

If you really want the most bang for your buck, get the ps3. The bluray player on it is top of the line, and Sony will not let it die until they let the whole system finally die. If you want a player that has a future for quite some time, get the ps3. I got my ps3 mainly for the bluray player, games 2nd.... though I am using it more on games at the moment, as I have watched all my movies on it already :p

I have a 360 for games, so for me it wouldn't be worth it for a PS3.

Yeah normally Amazon has blu-ray cheaper, although now best buy has some good deals on some movies I'd buy. 12.99-20$ each.

Now my local redbox's have blu-ray too.