Recently my comp was infected by Nimda virus

Hi everyone,

I only want to share my experience today in the evening when I realize that I was infected with Nimda. My antivirus was PC-CILLIN, I don't know how I could download that piece of crap, It nevers detected the virus until I see that I have a copy of Norton System Works 2002 and installed it. The first windows that appears after the installation... "You are infected with Nimda" "Unable to repair the file". I said f***, I have another piece of crap antivirus, I investigate about the Virus in the Norton Virus list and it says that I have to download a little tool, apart from the antivirus called Fxnimda.com, it was a ms dos based program, I scan my system and when it finished it says "Nimda was found on your system and was succesfully removed", but it says that the system could be unstable and maybe Nimda author created a backdoor in my comp, so it says that I have to reinstall Win 2k, I don't know if I reinstall or not...

Im a home user and Im 16 years old so I don't have a credit card and I don't manage a organization so I think that it can't affect me so much, I only have a lot of games but anything more, so... plz give me your opininion and feel free to make comments. :D

I would backup my data and re-format and re-install. You dont know what could of be dropped onto your system. Even if you dont have cc or running business off of your machine, a cracker could get your personal info and do some damage. Also they would be able to use your machine in DDoS attacks or just to attack someone else. I helped a friend out who had a always on connection but was a newbie. Some guy was using his system for an FTP server, nothing else. Or nothing could happen but i would feel better being on the safe side if that happened to me.

What exactly does this virus do? How do you tell you have it. And my only suggestion is to reformat, the user "butterific" got rid of it without Reformatting, might want to contact her.

Thanks, this kinda scares me, ive gotten a ton of those e-mails contaning virus, and norton tells me they got a virus, but i have clicked on them.. and supposofly it auto executes them. Do you know any way to be sure you have it?

Here are the information about Nimda:

Wild:

Number of infections: 50 - 999

Number of sites: More than 10

Geographical distribution: Low

Threat containment: Easy

Removal: Moderate

Damage:

Large scale e-mailing: Emails itself out as Sample.exe

Degrades performance: May cause system slowdown

Compromises security settings: Creates open network shares

Distribution:

Name of attachment: Sample.exe (this file may not be visible)

Shared drives: Infects open network shares

Target of infection: Specifically attempts to infect unpatched IIS servers

I attach a screenshot of the infected report :(