:: Norton Ghost 2002 ::

Question

if anyone is quite experienced with this program or done ghosting with windows xp or knows a lot about this type of thing and everything about this program please pm me or reply here...i made an image across 11 cd's of my system to put onto a new computer i am getting really soon and have some questions...so please reply here or pm me...or both...whatever thanx & see ya!

20 answers to this question

still no replied or pm's surely there are people who fit the description...well yeah please anyone i really need the help! thanx

BUMP

holy ****, lol, 11 cd's? why didn't you just use tape backup or something, besides, MxxCon is correct, unless your computer specs is pratically the same, there's going to be issues. especially if you imaged winxp and it's not corp version.

ok it is corp. ed. pro of windows xp...and i know there will be issues cuz the system is totally different...but i was thinking of an almost perfect way to do it so theres no big problems or mishaps...i was thinking of doing this guys...i get the new computer it's a custom so nothing on it when i get it...i put windows xp pro clean install on it right...then i put every program i want on it that i had on my old one and update everything on it...patches and driver updates and everything...finally when i have everything i want on it i do this....the magical part...i take ghost explorer which i install on the new computer and open up my image of the old computer...and select everything and press copy and then copy it all to C: or whatever my drive is...and the trick is to press No To All when it says to overwrite something...so it keeps all my windows xp files in windows directory and stuff and doesn't overwrite the hardware files and **** cuz i have new hardware on my new system....and ofcourse i will make a system restore point right before doing this all...so it's all safe in case it doesn't work and it might not...and another way in case after experimenting with the above one for a while doesn't work is....to just install everything i can that was on the old system so i have to restore the smallest amount of stuff from my old computer's image...so please write back and tell me what you guys think and your suggestions and comments are...see ya!

i don't think you're 100% right...why would there even be programs for making a whole image of your hard-drive if no programs on it will work on where you are transferring it to....i think they will work cuz it's the exact copy all the dll's and **** are there...just the files that store your system info won't work cuz it's going on a new system....anyways more replies need to my ideas here's the post once more:

ok it is corp. ed. pro of windows xp...and i know there will be issues cuz the system is totally different...but i was thinking of an almost perfect way to do it so theres no big problems or mishaps...i was thinking of doing this guys...i get the new computer it's a custom so nothing on it when i get it...i put windows xp pro clean install on it right...then i put every program i want on it that i had on my old one and update everything on it...patches and driver updates and everything...finally when i have everything i want on it i do this....the magical part...i take ghost explorer which i install on the new computer and open up my image of the old computer...and select everything and press copy and then copy it all to C: or whatever my drive is...and the trick is to press No To All when it says to overwrite something...so it keeps all my windows xp files in windows directory and stuff and doesn't overwrite the hardware files and **** cuz i have new hardware on my new system....and ofcourse i will make a system restore point right before doing this all...so it's all safe in case it doesn't work and it might not...and another way in case after experimenting with the above one for a while doesn't work is....to just install everything i can that was on the old system so i have to restore the smallest amount of stuff from my old computer's image...so please write back and tell me what you guys think and your suggestions and comments are...see ya!

i think they will work cuz it's the exact copy all the dll's and **** are there

You're forgetting your registry. It is built with your installs and not by copying. Your scheme as you have laid out just won't work, but you can do so if you like.

Just backup your data (docs, pics, mp3s, etc...) and forget everything else. You ARE doing a fresh install anyway, so your 11 CD backup is a waste of time and blank CD's... Don't make a simple situation complicated. The way you want to do this is NOT going to work. You did come to the right place to ask, though...:dead:

alright thanx guys...what should i do then? like steps....please reply with a detailed steps procedure on how i should go about this....from what i have planned now you should know i will install a clean copy of win xp pro on the new computer and that it's all clean nothing on it when it comes....yep so please reply with the way i should go about doing this so it works out the best in the end..and oh yeah i can restore a system point if something screwes up or use go back which i will install before doing anything that is a risk....see ya!

edit: and if anyone knows how to copy all the registries from this computer to the new one please tell me thanx!

you can copy registry by opening reg edit, selecting reg you want to transfer is do export. you'll get .reg file which you can import on new puter.

i assume you will have new hd.

install xp, install prgrms that you need, hook up 2nd hd and copy over needed data.

if you forget to install something that means you don't really need it :)

i am not exactly sure how to hook up the new hard-drive...so i don't wanna risk breaking something in the pc...i just closed all the folders and just have the My Computer thing that can be broken into a folder tree so i right clicked on that and it has Export so i'll export it and then copy onto cd and copy and execute on new hard-drive that would work right? oh yeah before i make that registriy file of all my registries how big will it be? like about 10 gigs of stuff would be how big as a reg file? hopefully not more than a gig...alright write back thanx!

well i just did it and it's 73 megs.....the reg file...but do you think i should do this....use regcleaner or some prog like that to clean up my registry then when it's cleaned up export the whole computers registry? and then on the new one i'll copy over my whole old hard-drive and make a restore point before that just incase somethin doesn't work and then copy over the registry from cd...and execute it...should work right? write back thanx bye!

I'm just going to comment here: You are serisouly making it more difficult than it has to be. Sure you can export the registry and import it later, but in my opinion that's just kinda stupid. You should just make a list of what you want to install and install it.

The time it takes you to restore those 11 CD isn't much less than if you just install them individually. (unless you have to look for the CD's etc)

well the thing is i've got some **** i can't install like that i don't have on cd's...and i don't know which registries and **** belong to those programs....oh well whatever i'll try and find those...or ask my friends or something if they got it...thanx for everyone's help...youre very nice and kind and helpful people...thank you and happy new year 50 min till it's 2002 for us canadians here in ontario!

REINSTALL.....You will have problems, and you WILL regreat it. It will take 3/4 the time to hack the install back in and only 1/4 more the tiime to do it right. Been there, done that. Listen to experiance.

hooking up your old drive to new puter is not that hard.

and you exported your WHOLE registry which you shouldn't do.

what i mean was to export only entries from programs that you don't have install for..

oh ok but i dunno which ones i need for the programs i can't install from cd's...and i can understand why exporting it all would not work...anyways how about all my desktop and **** settings...favourites and stuff how do i get those on the new computer...is there an easy way to? or will i have to create new desktop icons and change the settings to what i want? oh yeah i remember how to do the favourites...anyways what i've decided to do is put on a blank cd all the stuff i can't installs' installation files...i don't have them on the 11 backup cd's cuz i am only getting them now...well everything else i need is on the backup cd's and i will just take the data and other **** from them to the new computer after i install everything i can that was on the old computer....thanx for all your help guys....keep on replying plz with help and stuff...thanx!

thanx man....is that the best program for doing that or are there any better ones? please tell me if you know better ones thanx!