Disable TV

Anybody know how I can disable my TV through external means? Using the TV's parental controls or other such codes isn't an option. I need to be able to disable my TV remotely through an external device.

I'm not sure I understand the situation. Disconnect the coax and take the cable with you, or the tv. Can you be more specific?

Basically I want the TV to not work when I press a button. I've got some lazy kids in my house. The TV doesn't have a function that allows you to lock out everything and one of the kids is smart enough to reset the device anyway.

Well I agree, taking the TV out of the room would certainly work. That's a lot of work moving it back and forth though. Simply forbidding them to watch it without permission and punishing them if they disobey has always been pretty successful I think. ;)

Step 1: Purchase External Device at hardware store... called Hammer

Step 2: Bash TV with Hammer

Step 3: Enjoy a nice cold glass of lemonade knowing that you have disabled your TV with an external device.

I was looking for something a bit more convenient than those options. What about a power management device?

Well I agree, taking the TV out of the room would certainly work. That's a lot of work moving it back and forth though. Simply forbidding them to watch it without permission and punishing them if they disobey has always been pretty successful I think. ;)

They aren't my kids and their parents aren't exactly enforcing this. I'm tired of them using my TV and my game consoles when I'm gone because they don't take care of my stuff.

Maybe take the controllers, television cable, anything necessary to use it but not too large to make it a big hassle. I don't really know of any other way to prevent access other than physically removing the TV itself. Maybe a locking cabinet for your console or something like that. Can't lock them out of the room I'm guessing?

There has to be something that lets you control what time a certain electrical device receives power. I can only think, if the kids are old enough to play with your stuff, they would just unplug it from this device, and put it in another socket...

There has to be something that lets you control what time a certain electrical device receives power. I can only think, if the kids are old enough to play with your stuff, they would just unplug it from this device, and put it in another socket...

I'm going to try a remote controlled power strip. I doubt they'd go through the effort of trying to move the TV and the cabinets. It's one thing for them to look up the reset code on their computer and another to start taking the furniture apart.

I'm going to try a remote controlled power strip. I doubt they'd go through the effort of trying to move the TV and the cabinets. It's one thing for them to look up the reset code on their computer and another to start taking the furniture apart.

Ahh, good. Just need to remember to hide the remote somewhere were they wont find it :shifty:

How much is something like that anyway?

Ahh, good. Just need to remember to hide the remote somewhere were they wont find it :shifty:

How much is something like that anyway?

I can take the remote with me. I've seen them for under fifty so not too bad.

There is a interlock device I saw on the tv one day it replaces the plug with one that works with a key no key no power.

http://www.safetycompany.com/esafe-electrical-plug-lockout/p_1355.html?osCsid=eb79f16bbed65657e63d691ffecf3fd7

found the one i was talking about http://www.amazon.com/VoltBolt-Power-Plug-Lock-out-included/dp/B002P6FQR4