This:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/living-world-in-guild-wars-2/

Coupled with this:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/july-09-2013/

Is good news. I'm excited to see what my 5200 achievement points will get me. I'm optimistically excited for it. Hopefully from here on out with a 2 week release schedule and 4 teams making living story content it won't all be so...underwhelming.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw that. It all sounds fantastic and I'm really curious how they're going to make those changes to magic find. Considering lots of people have invested quite a bit of time and money (laurels/gold both) into making their magic find sets they are going to have to do something to compensate those people.

The skill thing sounds cool too. But I really wish they would make some way to capture skills similar to how it is in GW1. That would really do a lot to get people out in the world, I think. Especially if they could only be captured by bosses that spawn during certain events. I think they missed a huge opportunity as far as that goes but there is hope for the future.

I'm also excited about the little details they said about the changes to legendary weapons. How we can give them any stat combination we want without using transmutation stones. But I don't expect that until the end of the year or even later.

I'm guessing not many people on neowin still play GW2 though, this thread hasn't seen very much activity in the last few months. I still play but not as much as I did months ago.

took me nearly an hour to get all the way to the top of the Zepher puzzle, when i got up there i couldn't believe it took me that long to do it.

So along with other things, next weeks update brings something i've been wanting for quite a while, some form of currency storage. It'll be great to finally be able to reclaim almost an entire bank tab that's been overtaken by tokens.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/august-06-2013/

Agreed with that. We've only been asking for the damn thing for an entire year, since the betas. It's about time. All the other changes sound great too. Except for the actual event stuff which will probably be bad like most other living story stuff.

Also who says only 4 warriors + 1 mesmer can do fast clears of CoF p1. This video shows a group that only has 1 warrior:

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got much success with linking/unlinking accounts in GW2?

I basically have two GW accounts using same e-mail just different login's. Currently have the wrong one linked and want to get the other one linked to reap some HOM rewards (and the points!).

Anyone got much success with linking/unlinking accounts in GW2?

I basically have two GW accounts using same e-mail just different login's. Currently have the wrong one linked and want to get the other one linked to reap some HOM rewards (and the points!).

You're probably gonna have to contact their support for that. I doubt it can be unlinked though.

So the update on the anniversary of the games first year looks to be the worst update yet.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/august-20-2013/

That's a bit short sighted I think. There is also this:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/news/1220-watch-out-for-scarlet-on-august-20th/

So I think they haven't told us everything that will be going on and for good reason. I'm interested to see how it's gonna go.

Anyways... free trial for anyone who has friends who want to try GW2 starting August 23:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/register-today-for-the-guild-wars-2-free-trial-on-august-23-25/

Also according to that page GW2 is the fastest selling MMO in histroy:

"Guild Wars 2 is the fastest selling MMORPG in history"**

**Based on initial nine months unit sales (physical plus digital), against PC pay to play games, including North America, Australia and Europe. Source- DFC Intelligence.

I got GW2 couple weeks ago. What a bore fest. I stopped playing at lvl 26, I couldn't take it any more. That is one shallow game.

what were you focusing on, i have been playing the game since Beta and not been bored yet. between the constant updates, the crafting concept, the puzzles and side stories there is a lot to play.

what were you focusing on, i have been playing the game since Beta and not been bored yet. between the constant updates, the crafting concept, the puzzles and side stories there is a lot to play.

Ditto that.. it's different from GW1 but enjoying it all the same.. think the only thing I'd add is "regular" quests in addition to the dynamic stuff, I kind of miss having a quest log filled with a bajillion to-do items.

Some people seem to enjoy going into game threads and just posting bollocks.

Some people genuinely find the game boring.

It's just funny that it comes the same day as it's announced as the fastest selling MMO in history.  Personally, if you can't find some way to enjoy playing this game, given the myriad of options, then you're in the minority.

I too got bored of GW2 pretty quick. I think the skill system is what killed it for me. The best part of GW1 (which kept me interested for ~5 years or so) was the variety of builds and the ability to create an efficient build for a specific purpose. GW2 just doesn't have that, half of your skills are determined by your equipped weapon, and the other half are not flexible enough to really make a build strong in a specific area of content.

Honestly before I bought GW2, the skill system sounded cool on paper....but after playing it, I prefer the GW1 skill system by far.

That and the crafting system takes way too much farming to get anything worth it. I never obtained Obsidian Armor in GW1 because I never really wanted it, but it was about the only thing in the game that required significant effort to farm up (that is, out of things that were farmable), it seems like GW2 everything except the most basic things take a ton of farming to be able to craft, which greatly turns me off of the crafting system. The puzzles were fun (I love jump puzzles in general), but those alone were simply not plentiful enough to keep me interested beyond the first two months.

I thought that the skills and traits were very lacking. To me, their just blah. The heart quests, basically are all the same. Main story, kind of cheesy. Crafting, blah. To me, it's just a very shallow game. There really is no substance. But I do like to say that the game has nice eye candy. 

I thought that the skills and traits were very lacking. To me, their just blah. The heart quests, basically are all the same. Main story, kind of cheesy. Crafting, blah. To me, it's just a very shallow game. There really is no substance. But I do like to say that the game has nice eye candy. 

So you only unlocked 1/4 the traits for your character and came to the conclusion that it's lacking? I guess...

For what it's worth they've said they will be adding new traits and skills to the game in 2013 that will be unlocked via the pretty much unlimited "levels" you can gain by playing the game. I'm not trying to convince anyone to play a game they decided wasn't worth their time but maybe you should give it another chance in a few more months.

As a side..I find it interesting that GW2 outsold even super popular titles like Star Wars. And just going on Skyrims popularity it might lose the title quickly when ESO is released. Although I think people will be disappointed with it because it won't be anything like Skyrim and won't have mods.

So you only unlocked 1/4 the traits for your character and came to the conclusion that it's lacking? I guess...

For what it's worth they've said they will be adding new traits and skills to the game in 2013 that will be unlocked via the pretty much unlimited "levels" you can gain by playing the game. I'm not trying to convince anyone to play a game they decided wasn't worth their time but maybe you should give it another chance in a few more months.

Just adding my own thoughts, I have a lvl 80 Thief and Warrior and I felt the exact same way, I felt the skill system and trait system was severely lacking compared to the skill system alone of GW1.....which is what mostly turned me off of the game. That and I enjoy playing on my own when I want to, and with the lack of henchmen or anything like it, there's a much larger amount of content in GW2 that you simply can't do on your own (on your own as in without other people) than there was in GW1.

Just adding my own thoughts, I have a lvl 80 Thief and Warrior and I felt the exact same way, I felt the skill system and trait system was severely lacking compared to the skill system alone of GW1.....which is what mostly turned me off of the game. That and I enjoy playing on my own when I want to, and with the lack of henchmen or anything like it, there's a much larger amount of content in GW2 that you simply can't do on your own (on your own as in without other people) than there was in GW1.

I understand that. But you're looking at GW1 as it is after 5+ years vs GW2 as it is now. When GW1 was first out it had pretty much the same exact amount of skills that GW2 has now. It's only after 3 expansions that it had the extreme amount of skills you're used to. That's the trouble with comparing an aged and polished games to ones that are still relatively young in their life cycles.

This is what they've said about new skills and traits will be happening in 2013:

New Skill and Traits

We?ll begin regularly adding new skills and traits to the game for each profession to expand your characters and builds! You will be able to earn these new traits and skills by unlocking them. To go along with this, we?ll expand the content and options to earn skill points to help encourage players to experience different challenges and content throughout the world. These skills and traits will be designed to be balanced with the existing skills/traits we currently have in the game, and will simply compliment and expand the range of abilities and tactics available to each profession. Both WvW and PvE players can acquire skills and traits, and additional means of earning skill points will be addressed for both core content areas.

The regular addition of skills and traits that you can earn as you play provides us an extremely stable, easily expandable reward system that fits neatly into the pillars of progression and advancement that Guild Wars 2 are all about. Your character will be able to grow and change for years to come without invalidating everything you?ve earned so far.

So like I told the other guy, maybe try the game out again in a few months and you might be pleasantly surprised. As for the other part, I don't know what to tell you. GW2 is a true MMO where as GW1 was merely a co-op game with a multiplayer lobby. Not exactly a true mmo. GW2 is built with social interaction in mind. And they will be adding a LFG tool into the game as some point in the near future, too.

I finally picked it up on sale at some point a while back.  I still don't think the game is all some hyped it up to be, but I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would anyway. 

The changing bits of the story every couple weeks thing is pretty pointless so far.

I haven't really encountered anything I couldn't do by myself except the dungeons (I hear, haven't tried em.)

I finally picked it up on sale at some point a while back.  I still don't think the game is all some hyped it up to be, but I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would anyway. 

The changing bits of the story every couple weeks thing is pretty pointless so far.

I haven't really encountered anything I couldn't do by myself except the dungeons (I hear, haven't tried em.)

As far as the story goes this next Tuesday something big is supposed to happen. We're supposed to learn where it's all been leading for the last 6+ months.

While I didn't expect more than what I got from GW2 I would agree that it was probably over-hyped pre launch. But then again what big AAA's aren't these days? The last few that come to mind are Star Wars and Aion. Those 2 both bombed pretty hard within 6 months of release while GW2 is still going pretty strong.

I understand that. But you're looking at GW1 as it is after 5+ years vs GW2 as it is now. When GW1 was first out it had pretty much the same exact amount of skills that GW2 has now. It's only after 3 expansions that it had the extreme amount of skills you're used to. That's the trouble with comparing an aged and polished games to ones that are still relatively young in their life cycles.

This is what they've said about new skills and traits will be happening in 2013:

So like I told the other guy, maybe try the game out again in a few months and you might be pleasantly surprised. As for the other part, I don't know what to tell you. GW2 is a true MMO where as GW1 was merely a co-op game with a multiplayer lobby. Not exactly a true mmo. GW2 is built with social interaction in mind. And they will be adding a LFG tool into the game as some point in the near future, too.

Not really, even when it was just prophecies there were still more viable builds per class than there are in GW2. The way the dual profession system worked had a ton to do with that. The problem with the GW2 skill system is you only have 5 fully changeable skills (down from 8 in GW1) and only a handful of elite skills. Having half of your skills completely locked depending on your equipped weapons sucks....it forces you to bring 5 attack skills (or, skills related to your weapon) and 5 utility skills. In GW1 you could bring 5 attack skills and 3 utility skills if you wanted, or 2 attack skills and 6 utility skills, or you could bring 4 warrior attack skills, 2 warrior utility skills and 2 monk heal/utility skills. There was just much more variety in how you can build your character. And there were a ton more elite skills to choose from.

As for new traits/skills being added, it will definitely open up build options, and I will definitely check the game out again to see how it progresses at that point, but I still don't think it will match the build variety we had in GW1 with the dual profession system. I know each character in GW2 was designed to essentially take care of itself, but that also killed a lot of variety by removing the ability to really customize your character, with zero ability to multi-class to get a larger plethora of skills to use.

As for GW1 not being an MMO while GW2 is, I understand where you're coming from, but they originally planned a companion system in GW2 where you could either play without your companion and receive a buff, or play with your companion and have an AI controlled character follow you around and help. I know they cancelled that feature far before release, but it is a feature I would have loved to see in the game. Built with social interaction in mind or not, I shouldn't be forced to group with other people to complete half the content (look at WoW for example, you can pretty much complete everything but instances on your own......GW2 has lots of content outside instances that can't be completed on your own, which highly limits what someone who WANTS to play on their own can do).

See..the lack of build customization doesn't bother me that much. It makes the game play more like an action game than an mmo, as far as combat is concerned. And I like that.

I have a lot of gripes with GW2 but the skill system isn't one of them. To each their own I guess.

As far as the story goes this next Tuesday something big is supposed to happen. We're supposed to learn where it's all been leading for the last 6+ months.

While I didn't expect more than what I got from GW2 I would agree that it was probably over-hyped pre launch. But then again what big AAA's aren't these days? The last few that come to mind are Star Wars and Aion. Those 2 both bombed pretty hard within 6 months of release while GW2 is still going pretty strong.

I'm mostly immune to hype, but my friend was bombarding me with videos and interviews and crap and I obviously didn't care at the time.

I wish The Secret World had been received better.  I didn't love everything about it, but it was a hell of a lot more interesting than anything else on the market.

On the topic of skills, I rarely could get a skill layout in GW1 I was actually happy with.  I don't know.  Maybe I just didn't play often enough to get the interplay down.  GW2s just feels a lot better to me.