Capello calls time on Beckham

859694415.jpg

Fabio Capello has confirmed that David Beckham will be given the chance to say farewell to the England fans.

The England coach admitted ahead of Wednesday's friendly win over Hungary that the former captain, 35, was 'probably a little bit old' to be part of his future plans.

The LA Galaxy midfielder's last international appearance was against Belarus at Wembley last October before an Achilles injury prevented him from appearing in a fourth World Cup.

Capello is now looking to blood young players, handing out four debuts in the 2-1 win over Hungary.

But the Italian revealed he plans to give England's most capped outfield player the opportunity to play one more time for England, most likely against France on November 17.

"I hope when David is okay he can play his last game here at Wembley in a friendly to say goodbye and thank you very much to the crowd," Capello said after Wednesday night's game.

"I won't be picking him for any more competitive matches.

"David is a fantastic player, he was really important, but we have to see the

new players for the future because the age is important for a lot of people, not only for David."

Beckham is currently recovering from his injury and assisted Capello during the World Cup finals in a non-playing capacity. He has won 115 caps and scored 17 goals for his country since making his debut in 1996 against Moldova.

The former Manchester United and Real Madrid star is the country's most capped outfield player but Capello's decision means he will miss out on breaking Peter Shilton's appearance record of 125 caps.

However, Capello also revealed after the game that he had not had any contact with Beckham when he made the initial announcement in a TV interview before the friendly.

"Did I phone him before I went on television? No. I think I will speak with

him," he said.

"But I think David knows he has no future with the international team because

we have to change. We tried to speak with him."