Tabs in Windows Explorer [Windows 7]

Yes even plugins work!! With Classic Shell and QTTabBar, Windows Explorer is almost usable except for the annoying auto sort and auto arrange.

that WindowTabs is very interesting, putting it enable only on explorer.exe, notepad.exe, winword.exe makes extremely faster to move between documents and such, much more than win7 superbar

thanks Xinok for the tip

Yes even plugins work!! With Classic Shell and QTTabBar, Windows Explorer is almost usable except for the annoying auto sort and auto arrange.

For all the crap I give you, just wanted to say thanks for introducing me to Classic Shell and QTTabBar. While I was fine without it, they certainly add extended use to Explorer.

Windows 7's Explorer is much better than any previous versions and third-party solutions. Classic Shell is fugly and unusable.

Yeah but I'd still love some native tabs support.

Classic Shell is fugly and unusable.

If anything, Classic Shell improves the usability of Windows Explorer by fixing a million bugs. And it supports skins and is no longer fugly by anyone's standards (though it never was ugly in the first place). The smoked glass black transparent skin beats the pants off the default Windows Start menu.

Actually, QTTabs was not what I was hoping for. The tabs are not persistent, and what I really wanted more than anything else was dual-paned browsing in the native explorer, and the reason I need it to be native is because no other third-party file manager seems to support Libraries, which I use quite a bit.

Take a look at BExplorer.

Project Description

This is a replacement of standard windows explorer with more features for more convenient work! One of that is Tabs, additional toolbars and so on!

This Project is designed for use with Windows 7 (according to Microsoft specifications it should work with Vista but i am not sure about that).

The main goals of this project are:

- Adding tab functionality together with use of standard explorer browser control

- Adding additional toolbars with more features like:

- Changing Library icons

- File operation with files and folders

- Synchronized command promt

- Change of folder icons

- Extended Jump list support (Windows 7)

- Double panel explorer

- Extended search like extended search pane in Vista (Windows 7)

- Glassy view

• 3 weeks later...

QTTabBar has been resurrected with Windows 7 support! (

) Don't be scared by the Alpha tag, It seems to work just like we remember it in XP. I don't recall Quizo's code being open source, but I think masamunexgp got his hands on it somehow and built from there.

Here's some skins for the button bar and tabs. Be sure to adjust the sizing margins for the tabs to your liking (i.e., 2 instead of 0 for all): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U8UVBEA3