Toshiba 10TB+ HDD's!

Today, Toshiba announced that they have come up with a new way to bring up to 10TB of storage on standard hard disk drives. The way this works is that they will use a 'bit-pattern recording' method which has an areal density of approximately 2.5TB/square inch. Putting this into perspective with a standard hard disk drives size, that enables the possibility of up to 10TB of storage on a single drive. But, Toshiba does not want to stop here. They want to work harder and increase the areal density to approximately 5TB/square inch, which in turn would enable 20TB of storage on a standard hard disk drive!

This is big news for the HDD industry since as many people already know, Solid State Drives (SSD's) are well on their way to take control of the storage industry. However, due to their high price tags, the shift to SSD's is moving along quite slowly. It will be interesting to see what the 10TB drive will be priced at when it is released sometime in 2013, but a good approximation based on current pricing would be around $550 or less.

Source here

standard drive is 3.5" right ?

so

3.5* 2.5

around 9TB not quite 10TB

sound great.

time to replace my storage drive with this monster drive :p

just for a reminder you can't boot with that with windows unless you got UEFI instead of bios

and activate it as GPT

so

3.5* 2.5

sound great.

just for a reminder you can't boot with that with windows unless you got UEFI instead of bios

and activate it as GPT

Well, that sounds beyond the average consumer...

Honestly, this is great, but until it's supported by Windows and such, I can't imagine it really taking off... I would REALLY love a bigger hard drive on my laptop (Though 10 TB is a bit much for my needs lol).

Still, very cool. :)

so

3.5* 2.5

sound great.

and activate it as GPT

Doesn't the "3.5 inches" of a HDD refer to the diameter of the platter and not the square inches of area? A 3.5 inch platter would have an area of about 11 sq inches minus the spindle which would give more than 10TB at that density. Somethings screwy here

@Sawyer 99

I think its great to see HDD's fight back against SSD's. Maybe that will eventually be the reason SSD's reduce to a more.. reasonable price.

Most people that buy an ssd, also buy a regular hdd for data storage. Added to the fact that ssd is still not mainstream. Nope, I don't think there's competition between ssd, & hdd. Unless you consider the WD velociraptor or SCSI drives ...

@Sawyer 99

Most people that buy an ssd, also buy a regular hdd for data storage. Added to the fact that ssd is still not mainstream. Nope, I don't think there's competition between ssd, & hdd. Unless you consider the WD velociraptor or SCSI drives ...

That is true, but if anything, a 10TB HDD will force SSD's to increase size, and therefore lower sized SSD's will reduce in price.

Well, that sounds beyond the average consumer...

Honestly, this is great, but until it's supported by Windows and such, I can't imagine it really taking off... I would REALLY love a bigger hard drive on my laptop (Though 10 TB is a bit much for my needs lol).

Still, very cool. :)

it already does ,

but to boot from it you would need 64bit variant of windows + UEFI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table#OS_support_of_GPT

some support info from MS

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/gpt-on-x64.mspx

Doesn't the "3.5 inches" of a HDD refer to the diameter of the platter and not the square inches of area? A 3.5 inch platter would have an area of about 11 sq inches minus the spindle which would give more than 10TB at that density. Somethings screwy here

keyword is 2.5TB/square inch=2.5TB/inch^2

If I recall correctly hard drive disks are circular.

Therefore, if they say 2.5TB/square inch gives 10TB that means 10TB/2.5TB=4square inch of area

A=pi*r^2

A=4 inch^2

4/pi=r^2

r=~1.128inch

keyword is 2.5TB/square inch=2.5TB/inch^2

If I recall correctly hard drive disks are circular.

Therefore, if they say 2.5TB/square inch gives 10TB that means 10TB/2.5TB=4square inch of area

A=pi*r^2

A=4 inch^2

4/pi=r^2

r=~1.128inch

They are circular and yes my brainfart I applied 2*pi*r formula being that for circumference not area.