Top iPhone apps you can't live without [2010]

Back in 2008, I asked Neowin what was their favourite iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad applications. Now with all new applications, a number of updates to apps, firmware and hardware, Neowin wants to know what your favourite applications are that you can't live without!

Post your top applications in ranking order, and tell us why you can't live without your #1. AppStore and Cydia apps are allowed.

I'll get the ball rolling and say:

1. Facebook - Being a Facebook addict, I need to keep in touch with family and friends and see what they're up to.
  2. Tweetdeck
  3. Windows Live Messenger
  4. WeatherEye
  5. Colloquy
  6. Cydia
  7. Shazam
  8. What's On?
  9. Flixter
  10. TeamViewer
  11. IMDB
  12. WinterBoard

1. Facebook
  2. Twitter
  3. Safari (duh)
  4. Maps
  5. Things
  6. Reeder (I also have the iPad version; it's even more amazing)
  7. BeejiveIM
  8. SoundHound
  9. Evernote
  10. Dropbox
  11. 1Password
  12. My-Cast

I took off Safari.. although it might be an app, it isn't removable or upgradable through the App Store. You could also say the same thing about Phone, Text and Maps :p

I took off Safari.. although it might be an app, it isn't removable or upgradable through the App Store. You could also say the same thing about Phone, Text and Maps :p

Yea, but I can't live without Safari and Maps, so... :p

I actually could live without Phone, but I guess having a phone is kind of useful. :laugh:

Twitter for iPhone

Facebook

Reeder

Camera+

Flickr

Foursquare

Top two are self explanatory, Reeder for Google News feeds, Camera+ is awesome, and Flickr and Foursquare for that too.

I can live without all of the apps! I like to keep my phone as simple as possible... I don't even have text messaging enabled on my account/phone.

Then it begs to be asked why you have spent so much on an iPhone when you could have a ?10 phone for the same features really (looking at what you don't use).

Stumble Upon, Text Plus (rarely use though), IM+, Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, Angry Birds laugh.gif.

Edit: Whoops forgot one. Digitally imported radio.

Edited by dreamsburnred

Over time I have used different apps, these are my top apps at this current time!

1. BBC News

2. Sky+

3. Remote

3. MiTube (got removed from app store in hours I believe :p) - AKA MxTube in Cydia

4. Twitter

5. Cyanide and Happiness

6. Cydia

7. BBC iPlayer (in Cydia. Also available on BBC iPlayer website via Safari - not app, but the content)

8. ESPN SnoCross

9. 95.8 Capital FM Radio Station

10. Default weather app

As you can see, I have a variety of paid for and free apps!

not to thread crash, but I remember seeing once an app that would make the keys in the keyboard bigger according to the letters you most typed or were about to type, "thinkbuttons" is the android equivalent, but what is the name for the iphone one?

Reeder (more so on iPad)

Twitter

Dropbox

Facebook

Gowalla

Instapaper (more so on iPad)

Kindle (more so on iPad)

RunKeeper

Pastebot

Simplenote

Things

1Password

AirVideo (more so on iPad)

ah great, I love those threats. =)

1. Facebook - I love it. It's a great looking app and it really helps getting the job done. A pleasure to browse Facebook and use it's features on the iPhone.
  2. twitter - Same as above. Great, simple app with multi-account-support. I bought Tweetie back then but I love that it's free now. Good for every new user.
  3. Byline - Reeder is better. But I got so used to Byline, I can't stop using it. Bought it, when it still was the only decent GReader-App with 2way sync out there.
  4. Remote - They really should update it to look good again on the Retina Display. However, I really use it everyday and couldn't live without it.
  5. Last.fm - In Germany, there is no way to get Pandora running on your iPhone, but Last.fm is an adequate replacement there.
  6. CameraBag - While I also use Camera+, I could get away with just using CameraBag. Great little app.
  7. TiltShift Gen - Amazing little photo app. Not only to create that "big things look small"-effect but to add a little polish to your shots.
  8. Dropbox - Awesome integration with Dropbox, neat app to use. Especially since I got some important files on my Dropbox which I now always have with me.
  9. Instapaper - I come across so many things on the iPhone I want to read later or just want to save them. Instapaper does that for me.

Yeah, those are the apps I use every day. Or let's say "most". Plus, of course, the built-in apps like iPod, Mail and Safari.

- RBS Digial Banking app

- PayPal

- eBay

- Windows Live Messenger

- Facebook

- Shazam Encore

- PEGGLE

:p

From Cydia/Installus

1. Appsync

2. vWallpaper (gives the iPhone 4/3GS video/animated homescreen)

3. Winterboard

4. TomTom Australia

From Appstore

1. Facebook

2. MyPhone+

3. Windows Live Messenger

4. Skype

5. Twitter

6. Colloquy

7. iBooks

8. Emoji Free (adds emoticons to sms/mms/emails)

9. Consume <<<<<<<<--------- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - It monitors your mobile downloads/broadband data usage.

10. The Chaser.

11. eBay

12. Atomic Web Browser (its like the iPhone version of Firefox/Chrome

13. iMovie

14. PS Express

I use Facebook and Messenger every day, the rest are more check on the train on the way to work kinda things

Is Colloquy the best iOS IRC client then?

I think so. It does have the best features and feel to it, compared to the other free ones on Cydia.