What do I do for my second interview?

I've never had more than 2 interviews for a job before. Earlier today I got a call back requesting that I attend a second interview for a job that I applied for last month. What makes a second interview different from the first? What should I strive for and avoid during the second interview? Thx for the help in advance!

i think it is the same process but with higher up interviewer(s). you might want to practice and get ready for more intense interview.

then again, it might be that you got the job and going to discuss your position and stuff.

The second interview is usually the job offer and salary...

Far from it. The second interview most likely is that they liked something about you and are reducing the number of candidates. This most likely be the last one before deciding (most companies only call 3 or 4 candidates for a second interview!), so questions tend to be more detailed and precise because they (the company) want a better/perfect match for the position.

I say, go with confidence and be prepared to be more precise and detailed in all your answers. However, this one interview is crucial because it's what can make you or break you. On the other hand, be relaxed because they have already shown interest by calling you for a second one, so good luck!

Also anything that you think might have been a concern with your first interview like you didn't sell your experience dealing with X or operating Y. Make sure you address it during your second interview.

Most jobs I have had have been 2-stage.

Interview 1: Learn about me, learn about the company, discuss CV, discuss role, discuss career.

Interview 2: Meet higher-ups, possible tests, discuss salary, job offer.

Thanks for the responses guys. I just did a search on Google for tips and ideas of what a second interview is like. I get the sense that it's probably going to be more or less similar to the first one, but now they've narrowed the list of candidates.

You guys are right and that this person may be higher up in the leadership chain. I was warned last Thursday when I had my first interview that if the company does call me again in regards to a follow up interview, it'll be conducted by someone that's higher up.

Now, I'm going to ask for some tips because I think I don't do too well on this question. When you're asked to describe yourself, what do you normally say and what you're trying to achieve?

Good luck on getting the job. Just getting this far shows that they are seriously interested in you. Just be yourself and answer from the heart.

"When you're asked to describe yourself, what do you normally say and what you're trying to achieve?"

Well, only you know the answers to those questions. I think most employers appreciate honesty and can see through BS answers.

And remember, always be prepared to walk if you get any red flags about the job. In a way, you are interviewing them, as well. So ask a lot of questions.

Good luck on getting the job. Just getting this far shows that they are seriously interested in you. Just be yourself and answer from the heart.

"When you're asked to describe yourself, what do you normally say and what you're trying to achieve?"

Well, only you know the answers to those questions. I think most employers appreciate honesty and can see through BS answers.

And remember, always be prepared to walk if you get any red flags about the job. In a way, you are interviewing them, as well. So ask a lot of questions.

I'm not suggesting that I'm going to lie, but often, I don't have that much to describe about myself. I normally answer that question in 3-4 sentences. I wonder if more is expected?

The first interview is to sort of screen people out and then the 2nd interview is to get to know you a bit better by asking some different questions. For myself, 2nd interviews have usually involved similar questioning and then a tour/meet and greet. I like these type of 2nd interviews because it lets you get to know the company a bit better and see if you actually want to work there. Best of luck!

Just remember, it's pronounced Do-Moss NOT Dumbass :laugh:

What?

I forgot to ask, should I bring extra copies of my resume and references to the second interview? I did that and handed out copies of my resume and references. I'm not sure if I have to do it again, but I might have to given that I have someone else interviewing me?

What?

I forgot to ask, should I bring extra copies of my resume and references to the second interview? I did that and handed out copies of my resume and references. I'm not sure if I have to do it again, but I might have to given that I have someone else interviewing me?

yes, always bring extra copies in case someone else wants it.

oh, and always bring a pen with you. if you need to write something down, always use your pen. do not ask for it cuz they might think you are not prepared.

yes, always bring extra copies in case someone else wants it.

oh, and always bring a pen with you. if you need to write something down, always use your pen. do not ask for it cuz they might think you are not prepared.

I disagree to the first part. If they invited you the second part then everyone has seen your CV already and deemed to worth following up. I have never had to hand out a CV in an interview (even the forst one).

But I can agree with second part and can't stress that enough. Happened to me. I had to do a test which i knew about and I arrived without a pen. I am sure that made me look bad and more important it made me feel bad. I did get a job, but that can make huge impact.

Other than that, I would say be self confident and relaxed but not cocky. And be honest. Do not be afraid to tell them that something in past has not worked out but you should come back from that with something that you learned from the experience. For most answers a few sentences are enough, and if they need it they will ask you to elaborate.

But, there is always a but.

It really depends on what they are looking for. Had an interview I failed, and according to friend of mine (who got the job in the company) they thought that the job was too boring for me. I aced all the numerical tests, but from the interview part and the other tests they deduced that I am not a drone they are looking for. Actually, that is what they told a differnt friend of mine straight up after the interview, just in nicer words.

What?

I was referring to this.

I disagree to the first part. If they invited you the second part then everyone has seen your CV already and deemed to worth following up. I have never had to hand out a CV in an interview (even the forst one).

I personally alway, always, always take a folder (one of the nice leather things, not the cheap paper/plastic ones) with extra resumes and references, as well as tons of extra info (previous addresses and what not, which I mostly use for filling out on-the-spot applications), paper, and 2 pens (just in case one stops working). Nothing is worse then arriving on an interview, one person out of the bunch doesn't have a copy of your resume, and you do not have any on hand to give out.

Sometimes I feel employers do it on purpose at times to test you to see if you came prepared.

Nothing is wrong with bringing extra resumes, even if you do not have to hand any out, just having them in hand shows that you came prepared just in case you did have to hand some out. On top of that, they may have already seen your resume, but they may not have brought it to them to the interview, having extra copies allows you to easily hand a few out if need be. Its more of a just-in-case deal than it is a must bring to hand out thing. You look more stupid if you need to hand out resumes and do not have one, then if you do not need to hand out any but have a few with you.

I think everyone has already covered it, but I guess it can't help to repeat the good advice ;)

Personally - I've only been interviewed "formally" three times, in 10 years. First interview for my first job, just over 10 years ago (started it after the August bankholiday), then two additional vacancies, over the years since.

My last succesful interview was also in two stages. The first interview was basically to filter down the people they were interested, based on CVs. It was basically a quick "getting to know you and your background" type interview.

The second part, a few weeks later, was more intense. I was interviewed by three members of staff - the lady who ended up being my linemanger, a HR representative, and a third person who I've honestly never seen since (really oughta ask about that sometime ;) ) As well as asking for more detailed specifics, on how my experience related to the job I was applying for (Admin assistant, later promoted to fuly fledged Administrator), an IT test (ability to manipulate docs in Word, Excel and Access), and a few "Scenario" questions.

As for what you should take - I know everyone knows this, but don't take a newpaper with you. Aside from looking like you're not that interested, if you're a wee-bit nervous, the print can rub off onto your fingers.

Personally, I did take multiple copies of my CV (and will do in the future) - if no one wants 'em, then no harm done, just keep 'em in your folder / bag. Also if you've got your references handy, take them as well - most companies, if not all, will want to check your references by contacting the referees directly, but it doesn't hurt to have copies "to hand". Also - pen(s) and a notepad.

If there are any questions you have about the company - write 'em on the first page of the notepad.

Finally - Good luck ;)

In adition to what is said... it won't hurt if you take the CV and references, but as someone said, make sure they look tidy and organised.

As with the newspaper, if you have something with you do not fidget with it much, best is just to put it on the table and leave it there.. And worst of, do not forget anything there. Happened to me and I think that cost me the job. Had to go all the way back to the other building to get it so it held up everyone.

I've never had more than 2 interviews for a job before. Earlier today I got a call back requesting that I attend a second interview for a job that I applied for last month. What makes a second interview different from the first? What should I strive for and avoid during the second interview? Thx for the help in advance!

Higher up people, more intense, possible tests, but far from a job offer still.

The second interview is usually the job offer and salary...

No way.

I'm on my 4th interview for my current job. :crazy:

I would start looking elsewhere then, 4 interviews is just plane silly, unless you are looking to become a director of a company or something? :s

heck, i already went through 2 phone interviews (first recruiter, then HR), 2 face-to-face interviews (supervisor and the staff of the position im applying, then the director) since june, they still havent offer me the position yet; they told me they will make a decision by the end of the month (last interview was beginning of the month). if they ask me to come in again and asking me to do more interview, i will have to tell them to fck off, since i requires me to take a full day off my current job just to do a 2-hour interview

I would start looking elsewhere then, 4 interviews is just plane silly, unless you are looking to become a director of a company or something? :s

Not it's not, it just depends on the company and position. My current job took me 4 in total (2 phone + 2 in person). I've also had another with 4, and even one with 7 (consecutive, each 45 min).

Ok, I got the job!

Now I don't know what to do because I'm not suppose to start for another 1.5 weeks. Normally after the first interview, I would send a thank you letter to every person that interviewed me. For my second interview, I had an interview with the manager and her assistant followed by the hiring staff. I was first interviewed by the hiring staff in my first interview. I did send her a thank you letter after that interview. Now that I got the job, do I have to send anything out? Is there a point to sending out a thank you letter to the manager and her assistant? If so, what do I say in the letter? I forgot to ask this yesterday as it was 24 hours since the last interview. I need to act fast if I have to send something now.

Not it's not, it just depends on the company and position. My current job took me 4 in total (2 phone + 2 in person). I've also had another with 4, and even one with 7 (consecutive, each 45 min).

Fair enough. Ive not heard of that before, im not sure i could handle that many interviews for a job :s.

Ok, I got the job!

Now I don't know what to do because I'm not suppose to start for another 1.5 weeks. Normally after the first interview, I would send a thank you letter to every person that interviewed me. For my second interview, I had an interview with the manager and her assistant followed by the hiring staff. I was first interviewed by the hiring staff in my first interview. I did send her a thank you letter after that interview. Now that I got the job, do I have to send anything out? Is there a point to sending out a thank you letter to the manager and her assistant? If so, what do I say in the letter? I forgot to ask this yesterday as it was 24 hours since the last interview. I need to act fast if I have to send something now.

Congrats dude! :D

I would just send a letter\email saying that it was lovely meeting with them in the interview and you look forward to recieveing the contract etc in the post (if they send it by post). Then just close the letter by saying you look forward to working with them in future.