How to put an old Xbox 360 HDD into Xbox 360 S

We're no good with screwdrivers -- OK, well, some of us are -- so we'd probably never attempt to mod our shiny new 4GB Xbox 360 S by fitting an old hard drive in it. If you're braver than us (very likely), feel free to check out the step-by-step guide past the break, which pulls back the curtain on the magical process of techno-wizardy fueling this hybrid of form and frugality.

Of course, it goes without saying that this will totally void your warranty, but we thought we'd say it anyway. [Thanks, Sidd]

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/25/mod-at-your-own-risk-put-your-old-xbox-360-hdd-into-your-xbox-360-s/

I picked up a 360 slim this week and dropped my old 20GB in. Took maybe 5 minutes, totally worth it.

See this is what I hope I can do with my old 20GB. I have kept it around since RROD 4 months back in hopes of it.

This definitely sways me towards picking up the Kinect and 4GB Arcade bundle in November! By then hopefully someone will have manufactured a case for sale on ebay that fits the hardrive in, should probably only cost about a fiver as well!

Throw one of these in for good measure: http://digiex.net/computing-section/guides-tutorials/consoles/3152-xbox-360-how-hack-250gb-sata-drive-work-360-a.html

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150513

?30.99 + ?2.08 Delivery

Bargain!

i just did this with the new slim i just bought i put my 250gig hdd from my old xbox in their and used a sting for removal and some foam to stop it from bouncing around in the drive bay.

Eye no, that makes it all the moar funny, yew no?

Not really.

IMO they're just trying to prevent whatever access to the machine as much as possible without the owner voiding his/her warranty. In this situation the ports that are available for ease of expansion.

See this is what I hope I can do with my old 20GB. I have kept it around since RROD 4 months back in hopes of it.

that's awesome. that means when i pick up an S i can finish my splinter cell conviction game!!!

Not really.

IMO they're just trying to prevent whatever access to the machine as much as possible without the owner voiding his/her warranty. In this situation the ports that are available for ease of expansion.

Yup, I know. Security is a huge concern. They also want to make some dough while they are at it. I am not complaining. I just bought a 360 S :)

opening up the xbox automatically voids the warranty.

Except that there's a door on the side of the Xbox Slim to put the HDD, Microsoft even sell it by itself, so no warranty breaking here.

No this doesn't void the warranty and Microsoft hasn't banned anyone yet for using a hacked drive so I doubt they would do it for using the "wrong" drive by taking the enclosure off.

I thought it was pretty common knowledge this would work as soon as it was known they just used SATA ports on the new Xbox... Oh well...

Also, "Microsoft says it's 4GB but it's really only 3GB which is false advertisement on their part, but whatever." :rolleyes: This guy's a moron.

Amazing?

I don't see anything special there... and is it considered a mod?

Stuffing foam and a string down a hole inside of your Xbox 360 S isn't amazing then. Sorry, it must be an every day electronics occurrence. rofl.gif My bad.

I thought it was pretty common knowledge this would work as soon as it was known they just used SATA ports on the new Xbox... Oh well...

Also, "Microsoft says it's 4GB but it's really only 3GB which is false advertisement on their part, but whatever." :rolleyes: This guy's a moron.

I don't think he's a moron

But he may not know that when you format a drive you lose space.

I don't think he's a moron

But he may not know that when you format a drive you lose space.

I guess he also doesn't know system files take up space? Not to mention the little green bar showing that the memory unit is not empty. He's a moron.