MineCraft?

MineCraft  

331 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know what MineCraft is?

2. 2. (If you did) How did you hear about it?

3. 3. Did you buy it? And do you enjoy it?

• Yes, I did buy the Alpha and I enjoy it
    • No, I only play online for free on the classic version and I enjoy it
    • Yes I did buy the Alpha and I DO NOT enjoy it
    • No, I only play online for free on the classic version and I DO NOT enjoy it

I don't get why this is so hyped.

Its not even a spectacular fun piece of retro, its just ....meh

Its one of the most intuitive sandbox games to date IMHO. Granted I do not play it often, when I do I find myself stuck playing it for an hour or more at a time.

The way its designed just about anyone can pick it up and play it. It allows virtually unlimited possibilities in what you can create (structure-wise at least) while being a virtually endless world to explore both above and below ground.

I'm not saying its the best game this century or anything (not even close) but its definitely a super fun time waster that you can pick up and screw around in at any time.

Is there any way of carrying a lit torch cause i cant see crap at night.

Nope. From what I understand the lighting system in the game makes dynamic lighting (such as a moving lit torch) look really crappy so Notch is not going to implement them. The best way is to just wander around with a few stacks of torches (they are really easy to make, the most difficult part of them is coal, but go level a mountain or something and you will find TONS of coal) and drop one down whenever you need some light.

EDIT: Anyone know a good way to find lava? I pretty much stopped playing awhile ago because I had a hell of a time finding lava. I practically dug down to the bottom of the map and still didn't find any. I even used a program that makes a map of your save, then makes a height-map of whatever block you want (in my case, lava) along with a few photoshop methods to basically tell me exactly what block to dig down at, and how many blocks to dig down, and I STILL couldn't find any lava. I'm tempted to just go on a rage and mine through a huge cavern until I find some, but its such a slow process when your tools break and you have to run all the way back, not to mention if I dig through the wrong wall I will be swallowed alive by either water or lava.

He should at least use some better textures.

He's a one man band and he's already admitted he's no artist. He's hiring an artist, administrator and a web dev now. It's worth reading his blog and twitter for these details. He really keeps it up to date.

What's with the graphics? It looks like it was made 20 years ago for DOS. He should at least use some better textures.

Everyone says it's really fun though, I may give it a try.

You don't play this game for the graphics ... that being said, textures can be bumped up to 32x32 (with a few bugs).

minifig, how do we get to your server

we really need a Neowin server :)

Considering it's running on my own personal IP... :shifty:

I mean I'm behind a router and all so I'm protected, but, .. still I'm a little leery.

It's too bad there isn't a way portal back to the main land or a choice of what point you resume from. I've lost 4 diamond ores, a bunch of iron and 4 gold ores because I've got lost and died trying to get back. Be sure to enable limit frame rate... I don't see the point in running at 192 fps. However, when you enable limit, it just limits it to about 120 fps :/

Well I got back into MineCraft when I got off work today and finished my house perimeter. Currently its just a 3-block high square wall that has a doorway and 2 windows in it. I plan to expand it later but I was having a hard time getting enough cobblestone so I went off and right next to it started working on a mine so I can collect cobblestone while I search for some lava. I plan to dig far enough down to get some lava, then build a glass ceiling over my mine, fill the ceiling with lava, then remove all the torches and light the entire mine I build with lava. After reading all the horror stories of working with lava, the entrance to my mine is easily escapable....I have 2x7 block stairs (each stair is 7 wide by 2 deep), on the back side of each stair is one of the actual stair blocks so I do not have to jump and jump to get out, I can face that direction and just run like hell for the inevitable point that I dig into a pool of lava that fills my mine. I also plan to build outwards (left and right if you were standing in my mine) at some point to have different areas to mine in....I may even add a minecart track in the middle of my staircase (so you can walk up and down on a 2-wide staircase on either side of the track, or just get in a minecart and use the track itself).

Getting a rediculous amount of stone too and I haven't even started mining yet, just been building the entrance to far (probably around 10 stacks of stone from it all), might add a treasure room towards the beginning to store stuff in case I need some extra at some point.

Evolution, there is a way to change your spawn location but you have to use 3rd party software and you cannot simply change it on the fly.

Another thing you can do is bring a bunch of torches with you, and leave a breadcrumb trail. Then you can either A) Find you way back to your house, or B) Find your way back to your body if you die. Then when you leave that area just pick the torches back up, you can leave them a good distance apart too, simply make sure they are close enough to see one from the other.

Is this game monthly or is it a one time deal?

Pay once, play and get updates forever....basically, multiplayer gaming done right.

Part of the reason its pay once and play forever though is because it has singleplayer, and servers are hosted by individuals, not the guy who made the game. So essentially you will have multiplayer access until people stop running servers for it.

Pay once, play and get updates forever....basically, multiplayer gaming done right.

Part of the reason its pay once and play forever though is because it has singleplayer, and servers are hosted by individuals, not the guy who made the game. So essentially you will have multiplayer access until people stop running servers for it.

Ah, that's awesome. Thanks. :)

Considering it's running on my own personal IP... :shifty:

I mean I'm behind a router and all so I'm protected, but, .. still I'm a little leery.

I'm not sure about everyone but most people here on Neowin aren't jerk enough to hack your computer or anything, i personally think it would be cool to have a Neowin server for MineCraft, if your that leery why not do it via PM request I think it could be fun

I created a world about an hour ago and there was a floating island in the sky :p

hey guys, whats a good program to use to do video, I want to do a video of my very bad house :p

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlmtyBob

^ Some nice advanced tutorials .... guy is making logic gates in MC ....

Nice.....I may do something like that eventually in my mine.....the boosters seem really useful, you can essentially keep a cart going forever, or keep boosting a cart uphill to return from the bottom of a mine and what not. Will definitely have to watch all his videos when I get that far.

So basically what do you do in this game?

Explore, kill monsters, build whatever you want (I have a water trap that I can lure things into, the water pulls them to the bottom and they drown, then the water delivers the items to the middle of the thing). Theres tons of stuff you can build because how easy it is, you just need to be creative to do it.

You can even set up monster traps where a pressure plate opens a door, then the one on the opposite side of the door closes it, so monsters can go in then get stuck inside, and you can have a small slit in the wall to shoot arrows at them for improving your aim with bows and what not.

I bought this game a few weeks ago and only played multiplayer free build....

You HAVE to play the survivor mode to experience this game, it's seriously so much fun and I was extremely bored with the free build servers.