[NFL] No Funds Left: The Rising Cost of Being an NFL Fan

Wasn't sure where I should put this, but since it has to deal with the NFL, I'm going to put it here. I thought it was an interesting article. We have Bengals season tickets and are thinking about getting rid of them because the cost is starting to be a bit to much... even though Cincy has the cheapest beer, which I find hard to believe....

The 2010 NFL season is just around the corner and football fans are getting ready to head to the stadium and root for their favorite teams. If you?re planning to take your family to a game this season, you better save up for the experience: the pleasure will cost you hundreds of dollars. In addition to the tickets, which cost an average $74.99 each, you can expect to shell out around $25 for parking and about $5 each for a soft drink, hot dog and draft beer purchased at the stadium. In all, a family of four can expect to pay more than $400 to attend an NFL game: nearly three times what they would have paid 20 years ago.

MNT-NFL-R2.jpg

http://www.mint.com/blog/trends/nfl-tickets-2010-08302010/

those are hilarious ticket prices.....and to think they get full crowds every week....greeeeedy. The only thing is, do they ban people form bringing their own food? those prices arent that bad.

It's called inflation.

You'll notice that pay packets today aren't what they were 20 years ago.

It's also called having to recoup from the mega-million contracts they sign the players to. Not only that but just like in Baseball and Basketball and I would assume Football (soccer) if you have a hang nail and make $10+ million a year, you take off 2 months for the nail to heal...

Economics 101. A perfect example of supply and demand. These NFL teams charge what people are willing to pay.

Other than the price of electricity to power a TV, the cost of watching an NFL game at home: $0.00

I always have to laugh at stories like these. No one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to attend a game in person. People need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Great sport + getting folks to care passionately about "their" team = Virtually unlimited profits.

Economics 101. A perfect example of supply and demand. These NFL teams charge what people are willing to pay.

Other than the price of electricity to power a TV, the cost of watching an NFL game at home: $0.00

Yup. I'll sit and watch the games in a nice 55' glorious HD TV. Better view than I could ever get on field :p

What does one really get out of being a die hard fan by spending so much money on shirts, cups, and other such memorabilia other than bragging rights( if they win)? Yea, going to a game might be fun but thats the extent of it imo. No sir, i'd rather enjoy the sport(s) themselves than be a fan of a team.

It's called inflation.

You'll notice that pay packets today aren't what they were 20 years ago.

The calculated inflation is FAR, FAR less than the dramatic increases in professional sporting event prices.

I'm telling you guys, next time A-Rod or some famous NFL player etc signs a 10 year $200 million contract, you'll know why you pay such insane prices.

Let's not forget, most (not all) new stadiums (at least here in the US, not sure about other places) get some of their funding from private sources and federal or state sources to undercut the expenses involved. It usually turns out to be these "franchise" players who screw the pooch so to speak and make everything else so expensive for the average fan.

And while I agree sitting at home and watching the game for free is great (and especially great on some 50" plasma TV proabably) and all, there's nothing quite like GOING to a sporting event to root on your home team or boo the opposing team etc. Just don't get any beer or hot dogs and get nose bleed seats :D

It's also called having to recoup from the mega-million contracts they sign the players to. Not only that but just like in Baseball and Basketball and I would assume Football (soccer) if you have a hang nail and make $10+ million a year, you take off 2 months for the nail to heal...

you know the NFL is so rich and such a money maker that not a single team in the league has to sell a single ticket and they'll all make a profit from the TV contracts and sponsorship alone right?

The gate money is just like a bonus to them.

I hate to say it but,

Going to games, getting merchandise, the whole experience? All luxury. Not everyone is meant to be able to afford it. Maybe the prices are insane to some people, but not to everyone. I personally get to enjoy season tickets at Yankee Stadium box seats. I certainly don't get angry at the guys up in the luxury seats, nor do I ridicule those out in the nosebleeds. Same goes to people that can barely afford to pay their cable bills just to watch TV at home. While I don't find my seats all too expensive, I sure do find those luxury ones overwhelming. All a matter of perspective.

And while I agree sitting at home and watching the game for free is great (and especially great on some 50" plasma TV proabably) and all, there's nothing quite like GOING to a sporting event to root on your home team or boo the opposing team etc. Just don't get any beer or hot dogs and get nose bleed seats :D

I agree. I went to a monday night game a couple years ago, and went to a playoff game last year. I love it, but can't afford to go everyweek. Three people split four tickets. Some games we end up selling.