I've just figured out I hate working in IT

%90 of the people on this thread actually want to mean IT "Tech Support" I assume, instead of just IT. All the problems people mention here are very very specific to Tech Support, which is just a little part of the whole IT concept.

I just want to thank everyone for the replies, I honestly didn't realise that I would get just as much support and understanding.

I know how you feel. Having started a job in the "real" IT world, only now am I realising how depressing it is. I want to get into a new industry, but no idea how or why. I just know that this doesn't fulfill me or make me happy.

In saying that, I also love it, know I'm good at it, get to talk to a lot of people and get paid well. So I don't know why it gets me so down. Makes no sense.

%90 of the people on this thread actually want to mean IT "Tech Support" I assume, instead of just IT. All the problems people mention here are very very specific to Tech Support, which is just a little part of the whole IT concept.

If you work for a company, then you are expected to do it all, from installation, upgrades, maintenance, and to dealing with people's "problems". IT isn't just about setting something up and then leaving, never to see it again.

I know the feeling! I went into sales, LOVE IT!!! Im a people person...

I actually hate to deal with people, prefer my IT technical position where I can be with machines rather than with humans.

If you work for a company, then you are expected to do it all, from installation, upgrades, maintenance, and to dealing with people's "problems". IT isn't just about setting something up and then leaving, never to see it again.

ok, so i work in IT. I do not do any installation, upgrades or maintenance.. they are for IT support.

I provide solutions to business problems such as budgeting and forecasting, data warehousing & reporting, performance management.. etc etc

if i had to do what i consider 'IT support' i would indeed kill my self.. sounds boring as hell.

ok, so i work in IT. I do not do any installation, upgrades or maintenance.. they are for IT support.

I provide solutions to business problems such as budgeting and forecasting, data warehousing & reporting, performance management.. etc etc

if i had to do what i consider 'IT support' i would indeed kill my self.. sounds boring as hell.

I wouldn't stick that anywhere near the IT field. It sounds like you are a business consultant.

I wouldn't stick that anywhere near the IT field. It sounds like you are a business consultant.

that solves these issues with WPF, WCF, C#, SharePoint, SQL Server..

take it as you will.

that solves these issues with WPF, WCF, C#, SharePoint, SQL Server..

take it as you will.

What you listed you do would not make any use of those. If you're setting up servers for them, you damn well should support them as well.

When you say you provide solutions, do you mean you go and find/create a piece of software that will do the job? Or is it more managerial stuff like meetings and task designation?

IT support isn't all bad. Sure you get some ridiculous problems ("you can't type? Try plugging the keyboard in...") but there is the interaction with the staff that you're supporting, the sharing of funny stories with tech co-workers, the appreciation from staff when you fix their problem (I know people here have said that they felt under-appreciated, but I feel the complete opposite) and the moving around to each new problem instead of being stuck behind a desk all day typing lines of code. Just to name a few things that popped in to my head.

Of course, everyone has their own idea of an ideal job, and the points I've just made might not be things that everyone enjoys, but I wouldn't say the job is boring unless everything is working perfectly. But that's rare since there are still people who don't know what they're doing with a computer, and they will find a way to have a computer/printer/network issue.

What you listed you do would not make any use of those. If you're setting up servers for them, you damn well should support them as well.

umm.. ok?

i think you have a very narrow definition of what the field of IT entails. All I am suggesting is that it is not all about setting up servers and installing software..

I utilise technology to solve business problems, so in essence yes i am a kind of business consultant. I have to know a lot about a specific business in order to even begin to help solve their issues.

The fact that I use Microsoft technologies to help out, does, in my opinion put me into the category of 'working in IT', albeit whilst wearing another hat too.

This is why you have to switch to IT in the public sector. I am an IT guy in a library and its much better then it in the public world. NO big rush if something goes down .No big hurry to fix most problems.

When you say you provide solutions, do you mean you go and find/create a piece of software that will do the job? Or is it more managerial stuff like meetings and task designation?

both :)

500km a day, 5 days a week? So a total of 2500km a week?! That can't be right, surely? Unless you're also talking about flying places I guess...

I've recalculated, 400km a day, keep in mind, thats the average of all workdays since newyear this year, so some days more, som days less.

And yes, it's all driving. The cars run about 100.000km a year, so, yeah, 2000km a week.

It all comes down to what you like. If you can find a job you like, it will make life so much better. If you dislike your job, definitely go look for something else. You are not stuck, and no one should be forcing themselves to do something they hate. ( unless you have a responsibility to people and it is a must, but in most cases, do what your heart/gut is telling you )

I actually thought of getting into driving instruction also. Will look at it further down the track.

Was recently redundant and basically doing what i was doing before but more money, so basically didnt move ahead where i wanted to, but now alas i can get that money behind me and see where this road takes me.

|EGG|[' date=02 September 2010 - 11:44' timestamp='1283424263' post='593102292]

badblood - just wanted to say that I completely know where you're coming from and hear you loud and clear.

Im 39 and have worked in IT since I was 18 and have come to the point where I totally loathe it. IT doesn't inspire me anymore and hasn't for a long time and to be honest I feel that the whole IT scene is cold and unrewarding and I'd be much happier doing something that actually 'means' something or has some significance and makes a difference.

Do IT somewhere important then :) You could work for hospitals, or the Police or in a school/uni

as i've said, you all work inthe wrong part of it :D

This ^-^

I know how you feel. Having started a job in the "real" IT world, only now am I realising how depressing it is. I want to get into a new industry, but no idea how or why. I just know that this doesn't fulfill me or make me happy.

In saying that, I also love it, know I'm good at it, get to talk to a lot of people and get paid well. So I don't know why it gets me so down. Makes no sense.

The discipline of a job is pretty lame to be honest, that requires some adjustment. But if your job doesn't leave you fulfilled, there are other IT jobs that might do, or jobs in other areas. Why waste time being unhappy when there are other options?

Depends on the company. You have a very narrow definition of what working in Information Technology is.

I've always considered it an all-encompassing phrase - if you dick about with computers - whether that's setting them up, programming or figuring out what other people should use - that all sounds like IT to me.

This is why you have to switch to IT in the public sector. I am an IT guy in a library and its much better then it in the public world. NO big rush if something goes down .No big hurry to fix most problems.

Don't try that on clinical systems in a hospital though :p

Do IT somewhere important then smile.gif You could work for hospitals, or the Police or in a school/uni

This ^-^

The discipline of a job is pretty lame to be honest, that requires some adjustment. But if your job doesn't leave you fulfilled, there are other IT jobs that might do, or jobs in other areas. Why waste time being unhappy when there are other options?

Depends on the company. You have a very narrow definition of what working in Information Technology is.

I've always considered it an all-encompassing phrase - if you dick about with computers - whether that's setting them up, programming or figuring out what other people should use - that all sounds like IT to me.

Don't try that on clinical systems in a hospital though tongue.gif

I know lol We do fix it when it goes down right away just no person hanging over my shoulders saying they are losing money fix it now. HEck we had that eset nod32 bad update yesterday and even the assistant director was helping us. Casually talking with us as we were trying to fix the problem.