Ubuntu 10.10 'Maverick Meerkat' Beta released.

Ubuntu 10.10 Beta

The Ubuntu developers are moving quickly to bring you the absolute latest and greatest software the Open Source community has to offer. The Maverick Meerkat Beta is the beta release of Ubuntu 10.10, bringing with it new features for the next version of Ubuntu.

This is a beta release. Do not install it on production machines. The final stable version will be released on October 10, 2010.

List of changes and download links: Ubuntu 10.10 Beta website

Thanks.

Thought I'd give this a test but it must be on the extremely buggy side, I'll have a mess around and see if I can get it to boot properly though!

On a slightly unrelated note. I love Ubuntu, but for ****s sake stop with the damned crappy naming scheme! It looks so unprofessional! There's no need for the title/animal thing.

On a slightly unrelated note. I love Ubuntu, but for ****s sake stop with the damned crappy naming scheme! It looks so unprofessional! There's no need for the title/animal thing.

A) The naming scheme has been that way for a long, long time, doesn't affect the image of Linux one bit, and it'll stay that way due to tradition.

B) Ubuntu was never tailored to be exclusively "professional". The idea is that you take it and make it what you need: business, pleasure, server, etc.

Snow Leopard? Leopard? Tiger? Panther? Jaguar? Puma? Cheetah? :-D

Ubuntu's not the only one...

The names aren't official at all. Its officially called "ubuntu 10.10"

So can we stop the stupid pointless complaining about CODENAMES PLZ.

Eh? so your implying Apple are unprofessional as well because [the current release of] OSX is called Snow Leopard? :blink: I think it's great to be honest, adds personality to each release which is a good thing to me (Y) but each to their own :)

I do think the names are a bit cheesy, but it's an alphabetical scheme. It's not named after a random animal, it's gone from A-M to far.

the naming convention is for "internal purposes", much like e.g Vienna, Longhorn with Microsoft, we ( we = meaning programmers) use it to simplify which version we are referring to while working on a project/distribution update ... it can help you as well when discussing issues with your mates instead of specifying the full version information

The animal names are just internal codenames. When it's done, you'll know it as "Ubuntu 10.10", "Ubuntu 11.04", and so on. Calm down.

The names aren't official at all. Its officially called "ubuntu 10.10"

So can we stop the stupid pointless complaining about CODENAMES PLZ.

The Cod-names are official - and used almost everywhere... you talk as if the cod-names are fan made and only used among fans.

The Cod-names are official - and used almost everywhere... you talk as if the cod-names are fan made and only used among fans.

You are wrong, the official name of a stable version of ubuntu is just the number. Yes they make up these 'official' codenames, but they are not used in any of their advertising or on the site at all. Complaining is pointless. they are mainly used when referring to development versions of ubuntu. They are CODE NAMES.

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

Look at their site, codenames are nowhere to be seen. its always referred to as "ubuntu" "ubuntu 10.x", or "Ubuntu Desktop Edition" ect...

I played with this a bit last night and I am very impressed. Even wireless worked, although slowly. That's a huge improvement from 10.04, where wireless didn't work at all. I am going to play with it a bit more but I think this one is a keeper.

Guess you're one of those guys that judges things by their cover, but if you check in latest "stable release" of Ubuntu - you'll see that the cod-name is available with it. Many 3'rd party software and updates are also available by Ubuntu cod-name... same goes for the official forums, so people can identify it easier when it's called by code-name instead of version.

As for complaining, only and you and John took that road - pointless as it is. As for me, I like their cod-names and sometimes used the Ubuntu Cod-name when talking about it... It's a tradition with some Linux distributions - if you don't like it, that's your problem, not mine... :whistle:

I played with this a bit last night and I am very impressed. Even wireless worked, although slowly. That's a huge improvement from 10.04, where wireless didn't work at all. I am going to play with it a bit more but I think this one is a keeper.

Improvement in what way, except the ones kernel related?! :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

after months of use, i got bored with arch linux.

i think i ll try out something different today: is ubuntu 10.10 the latest beta good ennough to use or is it still buggy? can anyone report his experiences with that please?

after months of use, i got bored with arch linux.

i think i ll try out something different today: is ubuntu 10.10 the latest beta good ennough to use or is it still buggy? can anyone report his experiences with that please?

Get the daily build. It's near-RC right now so it should be pretty stable. A week ago I tried the newest daily build at the time and it worked pretty well. Just keep it updated and you'll automatically get the RC and the final version once it's out.

I didn't realize that cod fish had names?!?!

Guess you're one of those guys that judges things by their cover, but if you check in latest "stable release" of Ubuntu - you'll see that the cod-name is available with it. Many 3'rd party software and updates are also available by Ubuntu cod-name... same goes for the official forums, so people can identify it easier when it's called by code-name instead of version.

As for complaining, only and you and John took that road - pointless as it is. As for me, I like their cod-names and sometimes used the Ubuntu Cod-name when talking about it... It's a tradition with some Linux distributions - if you don't like it, that's your problem, not mine... :whistle:

Improvement in what way, except the ones kernel related?! :unsure:

Again?? What the **** is a "cod-name"??? At first, I simply thought you made a typo, but you keep calling it that.

I didn't realize that cod fish had names?!?!

Again?? What the **** is a "cod-name"??? At first, I simply thought you made a typo, but you keep calling it that.

Too much! :laugh: :laugh: It's a bit like, [sic] "your" making me laugh out loud! :rolleyes:

Back on topic, the RC is just around the corner why not wait for it. This to the folks who want to give 10.10 a bash!