Is it just me, or do some Blu-ray discs load like absolute crap?

I have two Blu-ray players in my house -- one a pretty good Sony (not sure of the model number), and the other a top-of-the-line Insignia (my brother works at Best Buy so he got a good deal on it; I know it's not as good as most of the name brand stuff). But it seems that on both I consistently get issues with Blu-ray discs I rent from Netflix. And the majority of these discs have been used barely at all (some of them are even brand new!).

Movies will take an abnormally long amount of time to load (yes, I know BD takes longer to load than DVD, but it shouldn't take this long), and sometimes a movie will run great, but then get to one part and just flat-out stop and no longer work past that part. And, again, these discs never have scratches, they're all in great quality. We keep both players up-to-date on firmware, too, so that really should not be an issue.

Does anyone else get issues like this? I'm going to buy a laser cleaning disc at some point, but I would be amazed if that were the issue. I'm just so sick of it, honestly. I'd much rather just stream them at this point instead of deal with the hassle that comes with these discs, but most of them aren't on Netflix's online service (especially not new releases), and I'm not going to pay to rent them from another service when I have Netflix.

Edit: And, yes, I know some discs have player compatibility issues, which is absolutely maddening... but I have two different players from two different brands, it shouldn't be this widespread.

top-of-the-line Insignia

Insignia can NEVER be described as top-of-the-line.

My only experience has been with the PS3 and the Panasonic BD65 - I have never had one playback issue and I have probably watched around 100 blurays between the two players (I also have Netflix). As far as load issues, they are not terrible to me - def much slower than dvd but nothing more than a minute or so. Without a doubt the earlier bluray players suffered major load issues (so this may be the case with your Sony) as for your insignia - thats just a very bottom of the barrel brand so I would expect nothing but the cheapest components used and the longest load times possible.

You dont mention any actual #s as far as load times so you may just be expecting too much?

I occasionally have problems with my Sony Blu-Ray player (one of the early ones - BDP-S350) trying to play newer discs, but other than that, no probs. My Samsung player plays everything back perfectly, 'cept for the occasional glitch with .mkv files.

I've found that sometimes it's the actual movie that you're watching that is the difference for load times. Most blu rays for me load up in around 20 seconds or so, fairly short period however I got Apollo 13 and that takes over a minute just to load, kinda ruined it as I love that movie but hate waiting on it loading.

Insignia can NEVER be described as top-of-the-line.

My only experience has been with the PS3 and the Panasonic BD65 - I have never had one playback issue and I have probably watched around 100 blurays between the two players (I also have Netflix). As far as load issues, they are not terrible to me - def much slower than dvd but nothing more than a minute or so. Without a doubt the earlier bluray players suffered major load issues (so this may be the case with your Sony) as for your insignia - thats just a very bottom of the barrel brand so I would expect nothing but the cheapest components used and the longest load times possible.

You dont mention any actual #s as far as load times so you may just be expecting too much?

Top-of-the-line in regards to their product line.

As far as load times -- literally around 2 minutes for "The Losers" to even load up previews (not the actual movie content itself). On both players.

@ shakey: Yes, read the OP. I've tried the two players I own. And I've watched literally hundreds of movies probably on these players.

They load too many java apps now into memory..... that's a large part of the slow down, and my high end sony blu-ray player takes freaking forever on some movies to get to the menu's with all the special stuff they put on them, disney movies sometimes take me 1minute+ to get to a menu, while the progress bar just moves around......

@ shakey: Yes, read the OP. I've tried the two players I own. And I've watched literally hundreds of movies probably on these players.

I read that, sorry, I didn't phrase it correctly. Have you tried those disc on any other players? lol. Maybe those 2 players you have both suffer from some sort of long loading issue.