Maya or 3DS Max?

Question

16 answers to this question

No comparison as far as power. Maya is double what 3DS Max is...and is on par with XSI 2.0. Let's put it this way. 3DS Max is to 3D as AOL is to the internet. 3D is made for beginners. Maya is a lot more difficult to get into...but is tons better. I'm fairly decent with it...haven't messed around with it recently...but here's one of my pics I made a while ago:

renderPirate.jpg

Ya id say maya is much more difficult to begin with but has better results i dont do much 3d work but it took me about a month with use here and there to learn it but i couldnt make that pic above even now without a lot more time then i have going into it

ofcourse but if youre gonna buy it maya is more than 3ds...and 3ds is easier to use...you can't say 3dsmax is for beginners because it really isn't...alot of people use it...maya is alot more complicated and costs more however is better..but i don't think anybody here is gonna make toy story 3 right? so you don't really need that kind of power unless ur very serious about this...anyways yeah i have both but for 3dsmax is better and more fun...www.discreet.com is 3dsmax's developers site they have other software too check it out...www.aliaswavefront.com is maya's site check that out as well...the price is huge it's near 10,000 USD i think but i can't really remember....that's my 2 cents on this subject...

Originally posted by scoobie

so i'd say 3ds but its only for people who know how to use it maya is for "newbies" wanting to learn 3ds

i heard it was the other way around

scoobie....you're kind of dumb...no offense. :) 3DS Max is the most used app by amateurs. It is a beginner app (it's STILL not easy though...that's not what I'm saying) with lots of plugins that don't always work. Maya is used in 75% of production houses. It is THE most used software by the likes of ILM...along with their own proprietory applications. Pick up any 3d mag and you will see Maya and XSI all over the place. The only movie that has been made with Max is Driven...and we all know how much that sucked. I know people in the 3d industry and your statement is just completely off base. First of all, you don't look in IT magazines for information on 3d programs...duh!

Oh...and BTW, The Perfect Storm...you know those waves? Maya. X-Men? Maya Jurassic Park III? XSI and Maya Mummy and Mummy 2? XSI and Maya. Pick up a copy of Cinefex if you don't believe me...sorry if I'm picking on you but your statement was just pure stupidity. 3DS Max is a decent program and is good for beginners to learn things...I have not met many people though that who after using 3DS Max for a while have really felt the limitations and moved on to XSI or Maya.

Oh yeah, duh...forgot about that one...that's the most famous Maya movie. Almost the entire movie was done in Maya...not even much prop. stuff from Square...except for the hair.

I use Maya 4 and Soft Image, I recently got ahold of the Softimage XSI 2.0, which you can get a free 1.5 demo cd(no shipping charges either), if you go to Avid's Website.

I got a chance to see a live demo of XSI 2.0, and it is very streamlined, and actually the curve is not as steep, however, both software titles provide unlimited content creation capabilities.

The one thing that Max lacks is multiple platform support. However, not to limit Max, they offer many plugins and add-ons, however if you are in a cross platform environment, Maya supports the major players...OS X, Windows 2000/XP, Linux, and Irix. Softimage supports, Windows 2000/XP, Linux and Irix. Max, though it is a good entry level creation application, has quite a few features missing or limited options, that both it's heavier brothers offer.

Entry level, meaning that you have some experience with 3d modeling and basic concepts of 3d content creation. If you are on a budget, then give Max a try, if you are in it on a professional level, or work with an effects house that has a sizable budget, then I would push for Maya or XSI 2.0. XSI is a little cheaper averaging at 7500, where Maya can cost over 10K depending on which version you go with. Most 3d professionals will be satisfied with Maya Unlimited(3 CD set), but I hope Maya adopts many of the improved features that XSI brings to the table.

For those who are into Maya, give Softimage XSI a try, I really liked the improved poser-like software that is built in, as well as the revamped 3d rendering engine.

woodyp.jpg