Study suggests iOS fragmentation worse than Android

Not smartphones, tablets. They restrict their first party apps based on whether or not it's specifically a phone or can act as one. So they already restrict the usage of their open source software depending on the hardware. Even though the OS is doing real well, I just do not see any possible benefit to the end user to force them to have to get OS updates from the hardware manufactuer. I don't get Windows updates from Dell, HP, or Asus.

It's my only beef with the OS.

The point you are missing is that the company that produce the phone controls the hardware, and they are not obligated to put the source code for their hardware drivers into the AOSP, and unless they did it would be physically impossible for Google to control how updates are delivered. Google update the software, they can't force carriers hands.

The point you are missing is that the company that produce the phone controls the hardware, and they are not obligated to put the source code for their hardware drivers into the AOSP, and unless they did it would be physically impossible for Google to control how updates are delivered. Google update the software, they can't force carriers hands.

Microsoft is going to send all software updates straight to the phones. If they can do it then there is no reason Google shouldn't be able to.