What do you think of the NFL across the pond?

77 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in the NFL (american football)?

• Yes
    • No
    • Do not know enough.

The NFL playing over there is just plain dumb though, IMO.

Why? It's only one game every year. Admittedly that means that season ticket holders of the two teams playing in London are most likely going to miss out on a game, and other American fans of the teams are most likely not going to be able to go. But, there are a lot of people in the UK and the rest of Europe who are very interested in the NFL, and to have an NFL game hosted in the UK gives a chance for European fans to see a game. The games held in the UK are very popular. They wouldn't host a game in the UK if they couldn't generate the money from it.

Huge fan of both the NFL and college football. Die hard Charger and Gator.

Attended the past 3 NFL games at Wembley (not going this year), was at the Florida game on September 4. Also played in the British leagues briefly for Gateshead.

Football > soccer.

Huge fan of both the NFL and college football. Die hard Charger and Gator.

Attended the past 3 NFL games at Wembley (not going this year), was at the Florida game on September 4. Also played in the British leagues briefly for Gateshead.

Football > soccer.

there can't be many like you over there...

I like American Football. It's my second best sport (first being football [soccer]).

I really enjoy watching the Super-Bowl and the game(s) that are played at Wembley, there is such a good atmosphere in and around the stadium :). I have been trying to get tickets to the ones at Wembley for a while now but all the Americans seem to grab them before anybody else has a chance! :(

One thing that really p**ses me off, is all the bloody commercial breaks! ARGH! it's a shame that big f**king greedy corporations have to ruin a great game! It's like that with every program over there though... Fox and companies alike should be ashamed of themselves realmad.gif

If you are watching NFL games they NFL requires a certain amount of breaks for each half, I forget the number. So what the TV networks will do is try to fit them in at the start of the halfs anywhere they can to get them over with. That way when it comes to a final drive or end of the game they dont need to break for commercial. They dont usually have breaks like that for college games.

football may be slow at time, but it's a thinking man's game. you can't be an idiot and play pro football, i'm sorry it's just impossible. (except for plaxico burres)

Disagree, can't see anymore thought go into the game than any other sport.

In fact, I think football (soccer) takes a lot more skill, tactics, strategy and team work over the NFL.

In short, I think the NFL blows.

If you are watching NFL games they NFL requires a certain amount of breaks for each half, I forget the number. So what the TV networks will do is try to fit them in at the start of the halfs anywhere they can to get them over with. That way when it comes to a final drive or end of the game they dont need to break for commercial. They dont usually have breaks like that for college games.

The two minute warning before the half/end will always go to commercials. It's not as bad as basketball where the last few minutes of game time takes a half hour.

Disagree, can't see anymore thought go into the game than any other sport.

memorize about 200 plays, defensive/offensive schemes for your team and the opposition and re-learn the last two every week for sixteen weeks and come back to me.

american football also has a lot more team work involved, a guy 60 yards behind the play can eff up everything, that's not possible soccer.

Or just watch peyton manning play, smartest football player of all time.

Ah you mean rugby league for girls. ;)

No I have no interest in NFL. For me any game seems like 4 hours of adverts with 20 seconds of interesting/exciting sports in there somewhere.

For egg shaped balls the toughness/madness factor is: Aussie Rules > Rugby Union > Rugby League > Girls versions of those three > American Football.

Ah you mean rugby league for girls. ;)

No I have no interest in NFL. For me any game seems like 4 hours of adverts with 20 seconds of interesting/exciting sports in there somewhere.

For egg shaped balls the toughness/madness factor is: Aussie Rules > Rugby Union > Rugby League > Girls versions of those three > American Football.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd3sNvKC_jU

this man makes football the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3jdNLQO99g

say football is a girls sport to him

this man makes football the best.

say football is a girls sport to him

I counter your padded, show-boating, make one little bump over tackle then stop play, only play half a game because every team has two teams girls tackles with this.

Now a few of these are actually illegal. Round the neck, no attempt to wrap the arms around or a good old fashioned shoulder barge. Please note they actually pin the man on the ground, then a load of other forwards pile in, play continues and then they get up and do it all again. No break to spend 2 mins jumping up and down shouting yeah at each other. They do this for 80 minutes.

I also suggest you check out some of the related ones like this. Then be quiet about how "tough" NFL is.

you'd be hard pressed to win 'nfl is toughest' argument. one of the reasons i started watching is because of the technical aspect of the plays. trying to anticipate the next play. trust me i dont watch nfl for the toughness

This topic was not created to discuss toughness of NFL compared to other leagues. They are all tougher than us sitting here commenting on the topic, so it really doesn't matter. Please focus on your interest / lack of interest in the NFL.

This topic was not created to discuss toughness of NFL compared to other leagues. They are all tougher than us sitting here commenting on the topic, so it really doesn't matter. Please focus on your interest / lack of interest in the NFL.

thats my point :)

I'm afraid it just doesn't even remotely interest me. I don't think there is a lot of interest in the UK for the NFL at all to be honest.

We like our football as it is thanks :)

I'm afraid it just doesn't even remotely interest me. I don't think there is a lot of interest in the UK for the NFL at all to be honest.

We like our football as it is thanks :)

Yeah, no interest whatsoever. They've only filled Wembley for 4 years running now rolleyes.gif

Yeah, no interest whatsoever. They've only filled Wembley for 4 years running now rolleyes.gif

Wow 90,000 people four times. So that would be 360,000. Does look a little lacking compared to the football league attendances for 2009-2010 of 17,100,000 (Which is nearly the attendance of the whole of the NFL, 17.5 mill)

OK I'll concede there may be a very, very minor interest in the NFL here. However I bet NFL still ranks below darts, snooker and speedway in this country and is nowhere near rugby, football and cricket.