Windows 7, Blue Screen of Death

First disable the effected drive as a primary boot drive in the BIOS (I hope you know how to do this). Make the SATA as your primary HDD, and change the first boot to CD then your sata and disable the rest.

I went into BIOS, chose my SATA as the primary HDD, went into Boot Device Priority and selected the SATA as my primary HDD.

I realized that maybe my x64 setup was problematic, so I tried via the x32 setup I have. Reached the License Agreement and was selecting which partition to install Windows 7 into when I got this -

screen4x86.jpg

Now, what to do?

PS - Neither of my drives has even a single MB of unallocated space. How do I choose where Windows should install?

Disconnect the old ATA drive, and try again (with x64 via Cd). Always choose the one with largest amount of space.

Fine. I'll also reseat my RAM and other things first, then disconnect the ATA 160GB drive... leaving just the SATA 500GB behind. I'll put in the x64 setup (the version I plan to install permanently) and install it to my 500GB hard disk. After this installation, I'll connect the ATA drive again, and run a HD Tune scan on everything. That's what you want, right? And I will then post the results.

PS - Also, who is the girl in your sig? I have a feeling I've seen her somewhere :-)

Hi. Over the last 2 days, I've tried this...

1. Using Seagate's DOS Tool, I ran a Long Test on my Primary ATA HDD (the one with Windows) and a Short Test on my Secondary SATA HDD. No errors. Fully passed.

2. Took out my RAM, cleaned it and put it back in.

3. Tried installing Windows. x64 and x86. Via USB and via DVD. Didn't work a single time. I always get a blank, black screen after the Windows logo appears (when trying with USB). When trying with DVD, the computer doesn't recognize it as bootable and doesn't reboot with it. This same DVD does work on the Laptop.

Also, I saw a new error sometime in all this fracas. I couldn't snap a picture as it passed by too quickly, but it said something like "Device (or maybe driver, don't remember) overrun by stack buffer". Does that help?

Now, what do I do?

Just a thought, are you able to boot into a live CD? Big list here livecdlist.com

The only other thing is go completely bare bones, no gfx card, 1 stick of memory (buffer overrun is memory related), boot device, 1 hard drive.

p.s. How long are you waiting on the black screen before trying again? Iv`e noticed sometimes it can sit at places (not sure where) seemingly doing nothing then suddenly burst into action.

Good Luck...

Just a thought, are you able to boot into a live CD? Big list here livecdlist.com

The only other thing is go completely bare bones, no gfx card, 1 stick of memory (buffer overrun is memory related), boot device, 1 hard drive.

p.s. How long are you waiting on the black screen before trying again? Iv`e noticed sometimes it can sit at places (not sure where) seemingly doing nothing then suddenly burst into action.

Good Luck...

Over the last few days, I have tried these things...

1. Removing my optical drive and just trying with the HDDs. Didn't work.

2. Removing my GFX card and trying without it. Didn't work.

3. Removing 1 of my 2 HDDs and trying with just 1. Didn't work.

4. Trying with just 1 RAM stick. Didn't work.

Finally, I decided to try and see if the PC worked with Ubuntu. First of all, the bootable CD didn't work. I don't know how or why. I have tried with an original Windows 7 x86, x64, Ubuntu and even Seagate's Drive Tools for DOS (which worked just a couple of days ago), but my optical drive refuses to boot from any kind of CD. So, finally, I tried Ubuntu via USB Pendrive and it worked. Perfectly.

I left the computer on for long periods of time, and it still worked. I transferred all the data I needed from my 160GB ATA drive (the one with my Windows installation) and tried to format the drive. Ubuntu's drive utility didn't work, giving messages like the "Drive was still in use" etc. But, somehow, using GParted, I managed to format the drive.

But, now what? As I said, my optical drive doesn't boot via anything, so trying anything like Windows XP is out. When I try installing Windows 7 via USB, it never gets past the windows Logo (for some inexplicable reason, just a blank black screen comes up)... so I don't know which options to try now.

I am thinking of getting a new motherboard. My present MoBo is more than 4 years old, severely obsolete (with just 2 RAM and PCI slots each). Will that help, in any way?

But, now what? As I said, my optical drive doesn't boot via anything, so trying anything like Windows XP is out. When I try installing Windows 7 via USB, it never gets past the windows Logo (for some inexplicable reason, just a blank black screen comes up)... so I don't know which options to try now.

I am thinking of getting a new motherboard. My present MoBo is more than 4 years old, severely obsolete (with just 2 RAM and PCI slots each). Will that help, in any way?

Since no other OS will load, and you've swapped just about everything else out, it looks like your motherboard is dying.

You're right about it being obsolete, so this is a good opportunity to get a much better machine but still keep your video card and other stuff until you replace those.

Did you try a different PSU yet? If a failing PSU damaged the mobo or other components, it could do the same to new ones. I would definitely not connect the old PSU to a new mobo without first testing it with an oscilloscope.

Did you try a different PSU yet? If a failing PSU damaged the mobo or other components, it could do the same to new ones. I would definitely not connect the old PSU to a new mobo without first testing it with an oscilloscope.

Could you please elaborate on this a little? How do I test my PSU?

If you have access to a scope you can check the ripple waveforms on each of the rails to make sure it's in spec. I always do that on new units before trusting it with a motherboard. DC voltage can be checked with a DVM, but excessive ripple can also cause instability or damage. See, e.g. Anandtech.

If you don't have a scope, just try a different PSU with your system. If that solves the problems, you win. But if it doesn't, the old PSU may still be what caused your mobo to fail and could do the same to a new one.

Try WhoCrashed.

This will tell you what file is corrupt / needs updating.

Someone already suggested that and I got the setup but the problem is my PC doesn't stay up for a minute before giving the BSOD, so trying anything Windows-related is out of the question :-(

A few people have suggested that my SMPS is faulty and replacing that may solve the problem. However, my PC worked fine with Ubuntu. I kept it on for long periods of time and it didn't crash/freeze even once. And I've tried with just 1 RAM stick, 1 HDD and no Graphics Card... still it has crashed.

Does that change the equation anyhow?

If you can install and run Linux, but not do a clean install of Windows, it is indeed a mystery. But it still must be hardware, otherwise why won't Windows install? Windows may be tickling whatever problem it is, where Ubuntu isn't.

Ok, I put my cabinet in for testing. The technician people said that there is no fault with the RAM or SMPS (I specially told them to check the SMPS) but they pointed that my Motherboard was the culprit. Told me I have to get a replacement. So, now... gotta surely get a new one.

Not just a new board, a new processor as well. My current processor has an AM2 socket, which I've been told is end-of-life-levels old. Almost impossible to find a MoBo with that socket.

So, gotta buy a whole new combo. Are you from India? Well, I'am asking because I am from India and I need help in which combo to pick, given my budget (Rs. 6k - upper limit) and needs... :-(

No, I'm in California, USA. You're not alone in having old components: I'm still running an Opteron in Socket 939! Perhaps you could find someone who wants your old CPU for an upgrade.

Good luck to you.

I have a geforce 8200 motherboard from XFX. I think that has a AM2 or AM2+ socket. nVidia has not refreshed its line for newer sockets with a northbridge. So you can go for a nforce solution. have a look at the asus lineup. At 6K and upper you should get a very good board. processor not including.

If you are a gamer, go for a sli ready mb, and depending on the graphic card you have (nVidia or ATI) go for a nVidia or AMD southbridge based mb. You might switch to intel i series as well but phenoms are not bad.

Ok, from the sellers I'm asking... I have gotten this combo so far (given my price range and needs)

Processor: Intel E5500 3300/-

Motherboard: MSI G31TM-P21 2200/-

Is this a good deal? In this price range, I spotted the AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor Processor too. How does that compare to the E5500? Any suggestions people?

Given the price range its OK, although the processor seems a bit overpriced. You might want to check with other shops. Also IMO Asus makes better motherboards. But thats just my opinion.