Ambitions in life

I may be way off but living in the UK I have the ability to never have to work. I can claim benefits all my life and get free housing. This makes me wonder what I should do with my life. This life is not perfect, but it's free and simplistic.

I am actively into computers and music. I play the drums and piano [rag-time] and it is quite possible I can make a living out of that. I also have a lot of knowledge of computers.

I have plenty of options available to me... now I would like some help. What should I do? I don't have high ambitions in life... I don't need a PC, I don't need designer clothes - All I like doing is going for walks and listening to music. Saying that though, I would love to become rich and have play music [or use computers] for my living.

What should I do? Please state your occupation and whether you like it, and what your ideal job is, and how likely it is that you could get that job.

NOTE: I'm 15...

-mortensenj

Get good GCSE's, get good A-Levels, get a degree, get a job, don't be a scrounging sod for the rest of your life.

Ideal Job : Software writer

Likelihood : If I get my degree the they come to me

Pay : 20K starting, raises per annum

Yes I am in the uk, 2nd year of a 3 year degree.

I'm all for the abolishion of the benefits system as this would mean the government would have more money to spend and the trouble that we have with illegal immigrants would be solved.

I am very political - I have strong beleifs. I beleive in equal rights and at the moment that means TAKING rights AWAY from black people - There should be no "Black" radio stations, if you can't have a "white" radio station, and one for every beleif. In the UK people are having to remove PIGS from their friggin' windows because they offend "asians" and you aren't allowed to put out a union flag from your window as this means you "support the BNP".

MP's for the BNP are gagged and NOT allowed to speak on TV. Screw that - I would love to here the views of them... doesn't mean I have to support them.

Benefits should be limited to 6months benefits for every 2 years of work... immigrants should be allowed to come into the country with NO restriction... because they won't be able to collect benefits without working, which is all we want of them.

I am way too right-wing for most people. I believe that gay people should NOT be allowed to promote or even talk about being gay. Don't flame me for this as this is only my opinions.

NOTE: IF gay sex is legal [which it is at the moment] then the ages for sex should be the same as for hetrosexual people. This is equality. [personally I think being gay should be illegal, but I'm not going into this]

DON'T FLAME ME.

-mortensenj

Well well mortensen opens up.

There should be no "Black" radio stations, if you can't have a "white" radio station

Most radio stations are white so why not have the occasional black one? (no I'm not black)

I believe that gay people should NOT be allowed to promote or even talk about being gay. Don't flame me for this as this is only my opinions.

In Holland we're a bit more open minded, at least I am and yes I have at least 1 gay friend that I know of (no I'm not gay).

Do you feel threatened by these groups (blacks,gays)?

Work: system admin (network engineer). I like it very much (just wish to program a little more)

The benefits thing sounds ok though. (not abolish it completely though)

These are heavy subjects to discuss here. I've seen flame wars and hate mail on other boards because of messages like this.

That doesn't mean you're not allowed to post them but for all that reply please no flames just your opinion.

I don't feel threatened by gay people at all - It's just a nice conicidence that we've been going fine for thousands of years and since 1900 onwards gay people are all over the place. This is either because all the people were gay before and were afraid to come out or because promoting being gay has lead to MORE gay people.

As for blacks, I don't have anything against them in particular. I just don't like people coming into this country and scrounging or speaking POOR english. If they come into this country, speak good English [without a nasty accent - it's bad enough having to understand people with a strong welsh accent, let alone a FOREIGN accent] and get a good job then I am fine with them... this goes for EVERYONE, not just black. If a french person comes into this country I think it is direspectful to talk french here. People should learn English. It's bad enough that native UK'ians live off benefits all their life, without other knobs from other countries doing this too.

Also, I don't like other religions, etc, going around in the full ethnic gear with headdress. ****, if we were to go over there we have to respect their wishes, but they come over here and everyone bows over to them.

I'm not a homophobic or a racist.

NOTE: I also believe that the benefits system should be REVISED REMOVED to stop the UK being a haven for foreign scoungers.

-mortensenj

No one can ever get rid if his accent 100% (Don't all french people that talk english sound like Rene from allo allo :))

So you'd have a problem with me coming to England (unless I have a job). My english isn't very good (you've seen my article:)). I worked for an english company called Apricot here in holland and had a lot of contact with the headoffice in Birmingham. I never had any complaints about people not understanding me.

I do see what you mean though, some people that come to live here in holland don't even try to speak dutch and don't bother to learn. There's an english guy at my current work, he's taking lessons in dutch and I respect that very much (it's funny to hear him try to speak dutch:)). But at the moment I have to speak english to him to be able to communicate.

People that put an effort in I can respect.

But it's the accents that bother me... have you ever seen Trevor McDonald from the news on ITV? NEway, he speaks really good English with no foreign accent at all. It's easy to understand him and therefore he is the perfect black guy for me...

But speaking to the Welsh... good god. I'm not from Wales myself [born in Cornwall, moved to Liverpool, Dorset, Befordshire, now Swansea] and so when this guy started talking to me it was like he was a foreigner. I EVENTUALLY understood what this guy was raving about... Wales had won a game of rugby... LMAO.

I'm just for equal rights - NO "compensating" women or black people because our ancestors were nasty towards them, but equal rights is fine with me.

NEway... who's ever been to an Indian restraunt? There they speak with an accent but they're always so nice that the accent never bothers you... but some Welsh guy raving at you really bugs you.

PS - I intend to vote BNP [british National Party - Also known as the National Front] as soon as I can vote... look at the rest of the political parties here in the UK and you will understand why. The Labour party just BUGS me SOOOOOOOOO much, and if Ken Clark leads the labour party [he's involved with cigarette smuggling and it a vice president of BAT (British American Tobacco)or something] then they're NEVER gonna get into Government again.

-mortensenj

hmm, you want to vote for the bnp? I'm sorry to be ageist but at 15 do you even know what each political party stands for? Hating a party because of a certain member is rather silly.

You may have people you dont like in your own family but that dosn't mean you hate everyone of them does it?

You also seem to have very pre-defined ideas on racial issues, i take it your parents have influenced you?

Erm and as a pointer, I belive Ken Clark is possibly going to lead the conservatives rather than labour who are running the country at the moment and are led by tony blaire. Just thought i'd 'remind' you :)

mate I'm 17 comming up for 18 in a few days.

I ended up, getting around 6 A-Cs in GCSE, when I was more than caperble of achieving striaght As, I wasted all my time out and by the PC. I just got my AS level results and scored BBCD, which is surprising since I didn't lift a finger all year and had around 13% attendance.

This summer I've had alot of time to think about the future and what not. I am sure that I'd enjoy an administration Job or a Graphics Design job, two that I recommend if you are interested in computing.

Graphics design is probably the most likely subject area I will end up having a job in, as after 2-3 years of Photoshop tutorial reading and odd jobs, I'm very confident in the tasks I recieve. Whats more if you are good at graphics, you can pull off a master piece very quickly and it does pay very well. The only down side is the fact its a very competative market and is hard to find work, unless you are hired by a company as an internal GFX designer.

-

My suggestion to you is to try graphics, fiddle, play, mess about with software, maybe design some covers for Music you make, something that might inspire you. Because its an excellent talent to have and it pays well, leaving you with an easy lifestyle.

(I have dun a few jobs which paid me ?600+ for a dayswork)

-

Remember not everyone is the same, and if there are any Professional GFX designers out there, who disagree with what I've said I'd love to hear from you.

-

-

Futile

Oh god no, if little Mortensen is correct, I can't speak English, what am I going to do. Dammit I'm going round to the local Social Security office and demand benefits ;)

I always knew being Welsh meant that the English could take the **** out of us but this is so funny,

Mortensen your very racisit, I have a very bad feeling you might end up on benefits your self if you don't open your mind to the world around you.

Oh by the way all my friends including myself are in highly paid jobs in I.T so i guess being Welsh isn't that bad after all

:cool:

I am young and like all people my parents have obviously affected my decisions during my life.

Anyway, my opinions are my own. My mum doesn't like Asians at all because of the way that they treat women [apparently they don't respect women in their culture] but my Dad doesn't mind Asians at all. Then the other day I spoke to my Grandad the other day and it turns out that he REALLY doesn't like black people. One of my best friends is an Asian.

I DO understand political parties [at least to some extent]. Labour had this time, and looking at history all previous times, done a bad job as a government. The concervatives had poor leadership under William Hague and I believe that Ian Duncan-Smith would be the best leader for the Tories.

I know nothing about the BNP, but I think that not voting is a far worse decision. The Green Party [not related to Green Peace] would also be a good vote, though they have no leader [though they have a head spokesman].

I would like to believe that I am an individual, but if you say I'm not they I obviously must be a clone of my parents. The last time I checked there is not a sudden date when you suddenly become an individual from your parents. I believe I am an individual but I can't prove it.

PS - I am now going to do research into both the BNP and the Nazi party to find their political beliefs. That doesn't mean I support either but I intend to find out their beliefs.

-mortensenj

Looks like I was wrong, Mortensen your doing the right thing by looking into this, you will probably find that in every party there's racism, but nobody can prove it.

But i'm still a little bit hurt about you comments against the Welsh but i'll let it pass this time ;)

LOL - I've got nothing against the Welsh... only people with strong accents. Some off the people in Swansea seem morons but that's nothing to do with the Welsh.

My two favourite accents are:

Light Welsh

Liverpudlian [YEAH - This accent RULES]

My least favourite accent is:

The Irish!

-mortensenj

Originally posted by futile  

I just got my AS level results and scored BBCD, which is surprising since I didn't lift a finger all year and had  around 13% attendance.

That's true for me too. I have never revised in my life and have skipped all homework yet maintained myself as one of the top in the class.

For my SAT's I got:

6 English

7+ Maths [i've always been quite good a maths]

7 Science

This is just to point out I'm not thick. I don't consider benefits a bad thing in life. If I was to tell you about all I want to do in life everyone would laugh:

I want to get a unicycle for my birthday [in 3 weeks] and I just want to cycle around all my life. I don't need good food... I don't need much. I will continue to practice music and will probably continue this way [on benefits - or working... either way is fine] until I can make it big in the music industry or the computer industry. If not I will expand my horizons and do something else... but I don't need much in life. I'm saying that benefits are good for people that don't intend to do anything in life. But ideally I want to play music for money.

-mortensenj

just a quick thing, but why do you ask for suggestions when you are already so sure of what you want ?

If that is what you really want to do, then I'm sure you'll find a way to achieve that. I personally can't see it as a lasting lifestyle, as I see no goals nor hurdles to overcome. In my opinion, a sensible choice in lifestyle would be something you enjoy and yet at the sametime challenges you....

What exactly do you want to do on your unicycle?

Fair enough you may want to travel the world on a unicycle, but for what, scenery and experience? And how do you expect to surport a family if you were to choose this lifestyle, (if indeed you choose to have children). I think if you are serious about thinking into the future, then maybe you need to consider a few more senarios, and maybe not center all your choices around yourself. Although you may want to live your life and do what you want to do, cause it is your life, you have to also realise you are young, (as am I) and no matter how much you argue the fact, you will most likely feel different when you grow older.

anyway, I wish you luck on your venture.

Originally posted by futile  

just a quick thing, but why do you ask for suggestions when you are already so sure of what you want ?

I'm asking because I want people to put forward ideas and to question me [like you have done]. I post to here what OTHER people have done, and what they have done with their lives. I, at the moment, have my whole life ahead and it would be foolish for me to set out on one idea [like riding my unicycle].

I intend to use a unicycle to get to know other people. At the moment I am quite anti-social. I go out walking for many hours a day yet don't talk to anyone else except on the web . I would love to meet people and talk, but I'm too shy. That is why I haven't done any performing of music or anything that would get me noticed.

Pfffffff....

-mortensenj

Let me start by saying that your posts teem with prejudice but I don't think this is intentional, it's as much ignorance from those around you that's rubbed onto you as anything else. I think (or is that hope?) that once you are older and have learnt more you'd cringe at some of your comments re: forgeigners, asylum seekers etc.

Best way to get to know people in a new area is to go out and join a club/local group. You ever thought about hospital radio? A guy like you with strong opinions could do a good radio show, youd be surprised how many peeps you'd meet and the fun you'd have. also you would have something on your CV for college/sixth form applications.

As for me I'm 17 next month, got my gcse results this summer (6A*S and 3AS) and I've just started at college doing politics, history, computing (think we will learn delphi) and maths AS levels. After that hope to go onto uni to do either history or politics but if I enjoy computing might do that. Not sure what I want to do for a job but one idea I have is working in the foreign office, being a diplomat sounds kinda cool. Was thinking of being a lawyer a while ago but gone off the idea cos it sounds so boring, money isn't everything - I want to enjoy my job. I too have strong political views and would like to be a politician eventually.

Good luck in your future m8

pct

As of now I am "thinking" or travelling the country [other countries? - Im' not sure yet] for a while. While doing this I intend to find out about jobs.

I would like to do a job related to music or computers though I think politics would be another possible route because I have strong beliefs about some things.

I don't know what to do about GCSE's... I will of course take a few but with standards dropping they are becoming WORTHLESS with only a 40% mark needed for a C grade [or D grade]. I don't know whether I'll need any qualifications for what I want to do because I don't know what to do...

:( - I'm sure things will come to me but I [like many other people] wish to tour the world before I settle down to do anything.

-mortensenj

Sure exams are easier to pass but all this rightish cr@p about standards dropping is b0ll0x, kids are at least as bright as they were 50 years ago, on average. In fact I think they are wqorking harder than ever (you ever heard your mum/dad talk about how they didn't have to do all this homework when they were kids??). If I were you I'd keep up the work at school and get the good grades, getting them certainly won't rule out anything they can only enhance your options. At least do this until you decide what to do for definate.

I too want to travel around the world before I settle down, I think I'll do a gap year after university to see the world and taste other cultures. Then I suppose I'll settle down doing whatever.

pct

Gawd, I can remember taking O'Levels and A levels, then it migrated to the GCSE stuff long ago.

But give me a break, 40% for a passing grade in GCSE, well I always thought GCSE were lame anyway, O'Levels were the meat and bones of educational like certainly in Northern Ireland where I grew up.

In my day, if you got 10 O'Levels passes you were a brain box, and if you got 10 A's, it was like someone winning the lottery.

GCSE's dropped the standards, and I should know, I have a lot of experience working in the education systems in Nothern Ireland, and it was common place for kids at a school I knew to have so so many A's it got boring looking at the results. It felt that the printer got stuck printing only one letter, especially in in maths for A level and AS level.

A levels on the other hand, sorted the boys and girls from the men and women, and still today consider this to be the ultimate test and character for a student going on to the next level of eduation, If you can get 4 straight A there, boy your were gonna either be a lawyer, doctor or vet, and most probably go to one of the best Uni's in the UK, Queens university, and yes I know I'm biased but it's one hell of an University!

Sorry for the rant, just brings back so many vivid memories of times gone past in my homeland of Northern Ireland.

I'm in that position except more so.

I'm 17, I've missed the entire last year of school and look pretty certain to miss another year. I got fairly bad GCSE's as my attendance for that year was under 35%. I've got a couple of all Ireland student programming awards (under 17's gold, sole first place when I was 16, this year I got bronze overall, which is under 20) - I'm Northern Irish, so I get UK education but Irish competition standards ;) (not that my school computers education has tought me anything useful).

My education is at a standstill because of continued clinical depression so my comuter is pretty much my life. I make a good income compared to shelve stocking which my old school friends do with my own web design business which due to a unique business structure (ie. ZERO running costs unless I have a client, which means eventual payment) can last even if my health doesn't for a couple of weeks/months.

Once I get back on track (which I'm continually told I will, but cynical me ignores that as sympathetic optomism, although I do believe I will) I intend to go to a local tech college (I can't see a return to my previous grammer school, too stuffy and disaplined after 2 years out - I'd probably chew out teachers. Which might be fun actually ;) ). After that, a uni course and, as Khelda says, good jobs should be available for me if I put effort into it. I certainly don't intend to sit on my ass and reap benifits from people who work so hard to make ends meet they don't even see their own young children much.

And also, mortensen - good call! Society is so anti-racist and anti-sexist that it's over done. Females get jobs when males are better because the numbers have to be even and things like that are now happening (although not often, to be fair). The BNP should be allowed to speak out - and then get no votes at the elections. Suits me.

What a topical conversation on a forum like this!

First off I am 21 and I am a Systems Admin, well at the moment I work as a consultant on Exchange server organisations but that?s besides the point.

I got OK GCSE?s and have BTECS in maths and science. I am not a believer in formal qualifications at all, and although they can help you get the job of your dreams they don?t always guarantee that you can do it. I have worked with IT graduates and I have to say I am glad I didn?t take that path. I sell myself on my experience and the fact I am MSCE+I (LMAO) and 9 times out of 10 I will get a job over a graduate.

What I am trying to say the path you choose when you are 1617 needs a lot of thought. I chose to work and do part time education and I have to say I would highly recommend it to any of you unsure in what to do. I mean if you are getting 45% attendance rates, maybe School isn?t your thing, and spending another 4 or 5 years there isn?t going to do you any good.

Couple of other things? O?Levels.. what a laugh next you will be telling me the 11+ was a good thing too?.send the brightest to grammar school and forget the rest.. Also anti-social had been mentioned.. would you people say the net helps or hinders social skills ?