Windows XP Power Toys

Question

Has anyone here downloaded and tried the new power toys for Windows XP, everything seems to be working for me except the feature I would probably use the most (Fast User Switching).

I keep getting an error message saying the system cannot locate the file.

If anyone has had a similar experience, or knows a fix please let me know.

Thanks,

madridnm

6 answers to this question

I have not encountered this error, maybe you should try re-installing it again.

If the error persists, let us know the exact error message and we'll try and see what the problem is and if there is a solution available.

The fast user switcher works for me to a point, it's likely something I'm doing wrong that is making it not work for me!

There is another thread for XP Powertoys at https://www.neowin.net/bboard/showthread.ph...s=&threadid=939 if you want any other questions answered.

I tried re-installing "fast user switching", but it's still doing the same thing.

The error message is:

"The System cannot find the file specified".

Thanks,

madridnm:S

I think (I'm not on XP at the mo so i'm kinda unsure) that the fast user switching is actieved by the executable "fast.exe".

Can you see if it's on your system, maybe the install program does not like your PC... :(

I certainly know that if you kill the fast.exe it stops the fast user switching so possibly it didn't get installed...

Task Manager shows "fast.exe", as running, when I press the windows key & the Q key together the log-on pop-up for the other user shows, but when you enter their password thats when the error message pops up.

Also when I log off my account which is the administrators account, and log on the other user account when I try fast user switching only the title bar part of the password pop-up shows and this shows only while I hold the keys down.

Thanks,

madridnm

I think that you have to be logged in as both users to use it. Try this: use regular fast user switchin and sign in with both accounts. Use one and try to use the power toy to switch to the other. i hope this makes some sense.

Excellent tip!

It's a pity that if this is the way it works, mayge the idea of the powertoy needs to be rethinked as possibly the following.

You press Winkey + Q, it shows up a list of users, you pick the user and it then decides to do one of the following...

- if the selected user is already logged in, fast switch to that user.

- if the selected user is NOT logged in, log them in, asking for a password if needed.

Maybe this can be passed onto microsoft as an enhancement. :)