Is the PS3 40GB any good?

Hello,

I've been offered a PS3 40GB w/ 7 games for 250$. Is it a good deal? The guy is coming over to my house tomorrow to check it out and see if there is anything wrong with it. Currently, the PS3 Slim is going for 500$ in my country.

What say you?

nothing wrong with it, play with it for a bit and see if it's working properly. If it is I would do it, you can always throw a bigger HD in the later if you like.

Hello,

I've been offered a PS3 40GB w/ 7 games for 250$. Is it a good deal? The guy is coming over to my house tomorrow to check it out and see if there is anything wrong with it. Currently, the PS3 Slim is going for 500$ in my country.

What say you?

I'd say that is a very good deal. There is nothing that a slim can do that the 40GB model cannot. It is a quick and easy (as well as cheap) procedure to replace the hard drive with a larger one if you need it. The size and noise levels aren't as bad as some people like to make them out to be.

I still have my old PS3, I gave it to my daughter as she's a massive Little Big Planet fan :) However, the noise levels between it and that of my slim are night and day.

I'd say that is a very good deal. There is nothing that a slim can do that the 40GB model cannot. It is a quick and easy (as well as cheap) procedure to replace the hard drive with a larger one if you need it. The size and noise levels aren't as bad as some people like to make them out to be.

Doesn't the 40GB model play PS2 games while the Slim cannot?

However, the noise levels between it and that of my slim are night and day.

I guess it just depends on the typical noise levels of your home. For me, I rarely even noticed the noise from the 40GB model I used to have. But of course, it was in the same room as two desktop computers that were fairly loud themselves.

No, that's the 60GB - and the 60GB also had a Card Reader on it for some reason.

It's better than the 60GB because it's innards have been revised, obviously not as good as the Slim but not worth jumping to $500 if it works okay.

No, the 40GB model doesn't play PS2 games (at least the models in the US didn't). Only the 20GB & 60GB models and SOME 80GB models can.

No, that's the 60GB - and the 60GB also had a Card Reader on it for some reason.

It had card readers for loading content from digital cameras, etc., which was a very nice feature. Of course, this could be added via USB to other models, but it was a convienent feature, like the extra USB ports the 60GB model had (4 instead of just 2). All in all, the most ideal model to have would be a 60GB one, upgraded with a larger hard drive, as it has features that simply aren't present on other models.

Not to be be picky but the slim has better audio output functions and also Bravia Sync, but certainly they aren't deal breakers on a machine half the price.

Thanks guys. I'm excited about it! This is my very second console! The first one I got was a PS1 =). I'm hopping the games are good since a game costs around 80$ in here which is ... a lot. A question though: Why would I need a bigger hdd? games get installed or something? or just for saves?

It had card readers for loading content from digital cameras, etc., which was a very nice feature. Of course, this could be added via USB to other models, but it was a convienent feature, like the extra USB ports the 60GB model had (4 instead of just 2). All in all, the most ideal model to have would be a 60GB one, upgraded with a larger hard drive, as it has features that simply aren't present on other models.

A nice feature 60gbs have is the ability to YLOD more then any other version, well mine did and any repair shop has said the 60GB is deffinatly leader of that pack. Not sure why.. 40gbs second prone to failure after the 60gbs.. Would honestly just buy a new slim for the reliablity. :)

it actually does less than the 120GB slims, and uses more power, and gets hotter, but if its not updated you can install OtherOS on it. Its definatly not as good as the 20, 60 or 80GB models tho with PS2/cardreaders/4USB. There are 2 versions of the 80GB models, one with 2USB and one with 4USB. Both will play PS2 games, but the 4USB unit has a higher compatibility as its hardware emulated. on the 40's they cut costs and halfed the USB ports, decreased the HDD size by 50%, removed PS2 game support completely, took out the SD/CF/memoryStick card reader, and software removed OtherOS in firmwares 3.21+.. Only system (not 40GB but PS3 in general) I know which continually loses features over time.

Yes, the BluRay is 2x which is about 10MB/s read - which isn't fast enough to make smooth gameplay with giant filesizes and large seek times.. So sony uses a few hundred MB to 6GB install on the HDD to decrease loading times PER TITLE. Enjoy the 45 minutes of updates and installs needed to play most games. If you purchase more than (40GB-4GB system space-4.5GB a game) roughly 8 games that require HDD install - the drive will be full. this don't include bluray trailers, PSN downloads, game demos, MP3/photo/movies you will be adding yourself. Good thing is it supports ANY 2.5" drive under 10mm thick. so you can get a 500GB drive for $40-50 and pop that in, then buy a USB 2.5" enclosure to put the 40GB drive in and have a handy 40GB thumbdrive you can leave hooked up to a USB on the system for additional storage or use with your computer.

There are a lot of exclusives worth while playing. Uncharted, Uncharted 2, God of war, Killzone, Resistance, Ratchet & clank, heavely sword, heavy rain, to name a few.

it actually does less than the 120GB slims, and uses more power, and gets hotter, but if its not updated you can install OtherOS on it. Its definatly not as good as the 20, 60 or 80GB models tho with PS2/cardreaders/4USB. There are 2 versions of the 80GB models, one with 2USB and one with 4USB. Both will play PS2 games, but the 4USB unit has a higher compatibility as its hardware emulated. on the 40's they cut costs and halfed the USB ports, decreased the HDD size by 50%, removed PS2 game support completely, took out the SD/CF/memoryStick card reader, and software removed OtherOS in firmwares 3.21+.. Only system (not 40GB but PS3 in general) I know which continually loses features over time.

Yes, the BluRay is 2x which is about 10MB/s read - which isn't fast enough to make smooth gameplay with giant filesizes and large seek times.. So sony uses a few hundred MB to 6GB install on the HDD to decrease loading times PER TITLE. Enjoy the 45 minutes of updates and installs needed to play most games. If you purchase more than (40GB-4GB system space-4.5GB a game) roughly 8 games that require HDD install - the drive will be full. this don't include bluray trailers, PSN downloads, game demos, MP3/photo/movies you will be adding yourself. Good thing is it supports ANY 2.5" drive under 10mm thick. so you can get a 500GB drive for $40-50 and pop that in, then buy a USB 2.5" enclosure to put the 40GB drive in and have a handy 40GB thumbdrive you can leave hooked up to a USB on the system for additional storage or use with your computer.

There are a lot of exclusives worth while playing. Uncharted, Uncharted 2, God of war, Killzone, Resistance, Ratchet & clank, heavely sword, heavy rain, to name a few.

Not played Uncharted 2 then? Large installs and load times?

Admittedly some are horrendous but others have it done right and don't seem to need such things.

One downside is the noise level compared to a slim.

Eh? I've had mine and I barely hear it even when the house is dead silent. I cant imagine the slim could be quieter than my 40gb.

Also, great deal on that PS3 even though its used, especially if a new one is twice as much in your country.

Eh? I've had mine and I barely hear it even when the house is dead silent. I cant imagine the slim could be quieter than my 40gb.

Also, great deal on that PS3 even though its used, especially if a new one is twice as much in your country.

My 80gb is noisy :( I really do want to get a slim. Maybe next month will trade mine in and pick one up :)

*bump*

I received the PS3 yesterday. It. Is. AWESOME! Some points:

• Only 1 pad
  • No HDMI cable. I'm not sure how much this cable costs. I'm currently using the one with 3 colors (no idea what's called)
  • The PS3 was actually bought from spain, and not Lebanon. I'm not sure if there is anything wrong with this (region lock and what not?).
The games that came with it:
  1. Assassin's Creed
  2. Overlord raising hell. Even though the disk says it has both overlord and raising hell, I couldn't access overload without the extension.
  3. Dragon ball z
  4. Folklore
  5. Resistance Fall of man
  6. Stranglehold
  7. the name of this last game escapes me. It starts with a guy on a boat fighting pirates. He's looking for some sort of a treasure.

I think I'm going to buy it =). I'm hopping to bring down the price to 200$ since I need to buy another pad and an hdmi cable.

*bump*

I received the PS3 yesterday. It. Is. AWESOME! Some points:

• Only 1 pad
  • No HDMI cable. I'm not sure how much this cable costs. I'm currently using the one with 3 colors (no idea what's called)
  • The PS3 was actually bought from spain, and not Lebanon. I'm not sure if there is anything wrong with this (region lock and what not?).
The games that came with it:
  1. Assassin's Creed
  2. Overlord raising hell. Even though the disk says it has both overlord and raising hell, I couldn't access overload without the extension.
  3. Dragon ball z
  4. Folklore
  5. Resistance Fall of man
  6. Stranglehold
  7. the name of this last game escapes me. It starts with a guy on a boat fighting pirates. He's looking for some sort of a treasure.

I think I'm going to buy it =). I'm hopping to bring down the price to 200$ since I need to buy another pad and an hdmi cable.

That would be Uncharted.

Also, the cable with 3 colours is called an RCA connector. If you have an HD TV then getting an HDMI cable is a good plan, you can really notice the difference at times.

Don't pay more than the equivalent of ?5-8 for your HDMI cable, but it's 100% required if you have an HDTV.

well, I have HD ready tv. Is the HDMI still required?

you'll still need the hdmi cable to connect between your HDTV and PS3 for an HD experience (720p/1080p). The RCA connectors only allow for 480p low-resolution pictures.

You will deinately want to get a HDMI cable, your gaming experience will be much better in HD.

But make sure you don't buy a rip off priced cable, they are all the same regardless of price.

Yeah, go to Amazon and buy any HDMI cable. I've bought two for 25 cents and they work like wonder.