red wings sign ray whitney(?)

i saw this over at letsgowings.com...

The Detroit Red Wings have signed unrestricted free agent forward Ray Whitney to a four-year contract worth a reported $13 million.

Whitney, who was the Columbus Blue Jackets' leading scorer last season with 24 goals and 76 points, helps the Red Wings pick up some of the scoring lost when free agent Sergei Fedorov signed with the Anaheim Mighty Ducks.

The move also improves the Red Wings' team speed up front and gives further depth along the wings. A deft playmaker, Whitney also is potent on the power play as evidenced by his 42 points with the extra attacker last season.

if this is indeed true, i think it's a very good move on detroit's part. he's a speedy little bugger and can score goals. (Y)

if this is true, it's a great payout .... great decision. should spice up the frontline a lot, more speed up front should mean a few more goals! go wings! :)

Anaheim and Colorado are locks for the Western conference. It really is sad too, I would have loved to see Steve Yzerman win in his last year. If Detroit wants a chance to win, they better try getting someone like Jagr from Washington. They obviously didn't realize how big Federov was to there organization. They don't win the 2 cups they did without him, only Yzerman was more important to the franchise. If they really want to keep it close, they will deal Cujo to St. Louis or anywhere else besides Colorado.

axis: i dont think so, wings are still a solid team with or without federov.

as for Ray Whitney... i dont see his name on the singings list at nhl.com... the only person the wings signed today was Jamie Rivers from the Panthers

I'm afraid I disagree with you axis...

Colorado, yes, as always they will be a contender.

However, Anaheim did what they did last season because they broadside the best teams in the league with unexpected play. However, this year everyone will be ready for them.

I foresee the same race as always in the west... Detroit, Colorado, and Dallas with Saint Louis nipping at their heels...while the Ducks float their way into the playoffs with a few lucky last minute wins. :)

Oh man that sucks, the Canucks will NOT make the playoffs next year guaranteed.

I was hoping Cheap Ass Burke would sign Ray Whitney, bring some enthusiasm too the club, I'm not say the canucks would make the playoffs if they had Whitney but, the Western conference is looking deadly for next season, but it could all blow up in those teams faces and the Canucks, and Oilers do good.

oh well , have too wait and see, but gut feeling is Canucks choke in 2003-2004 season.

Never did like the Free Press, I miss the good old Detroit News. ;)

Either way, this is a great addition to our team and will hopefully silence some of the nay sayers. :p

Granted, the 04-05 Wing's will most likely be flat on their faces with retirements but still, one more giant run to slaughter our opponents and give our 'Old Guard' the send off they deserve!

Never did like the Free Press, I miss the good old Detroit News. ;)

Either way, this is a great addition to our team and will hopefully silence some of the nay sayers. :p

Granted, the 04-05 Wing's will most likely be flat on their faces with retirements but still, one more giant run to slaughter our opponents and give our 'Old Guard' the send off they deserve!

here you go, cara ;): http://www.detnews.com/2003/wings/0307/30/.../e03-231700.htm

i think we'll have a great young team that will be fun to watch come 2004-2005. :)

Jul. 30, 2003. 09:21 AM  Wings sign Ray Whitney: Report

CANADIAN PRESS

DETROIT ? Free-agent forward Ray Whitney, one of the best small forwards in hockey, has signed a four-year, $13-million US contract with the Detroit Red Wings, according to a media report.

Rogers Sportsnet reported the signing on Tuesday.

Whitney, 31, is coming off his best pro season ? 24 goals and 52 assists with the Columbus Blue Jackets.

The five-foot-10, 175-pound native of Fort Saskatchewan, Alta., will help fill the void left by the departure of free-agent centre Sergei Fedorov, who signed with the Anaheim Mighty Ducks a week ago.

Whitney earned $2.6 million last season, his second full season with Columbus. He previously played for Florida, Edmonton and San Jose. In 633 career NHL games, he has 191 goals and 301 assists for 492 points.

In 1991, he helped the Spokane Chiefs win the Memorial Cup. He was named MVP in the WHL that year.

Roger's Sportsnet reported this yesterday but it doesn't look like the paperwork has been submitted to the league yet.