UFC boss says Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir III "kind of makes sense"

450190113.jpg

Brock Lesnar (5-2 MMA, 4-2 UFC) may revisit an old rivalry and take on a third fight with Frank Mir (14-5 MMA, 12-5 UFC), according to UFC president Dana White.

During a special Q&A session today with UFC Fight Club fans in Germany, the executive addressed a rumor of the potential rubber match that arose immediately following Lesnar's loss to Cain Velasquez this past month at UFC 121.

And while White hasn't spoken to Lesnar as of late, he is not necessarily opposed to the idea of a third meeting between the two former champions.

"That fight kind of makes sense," White said. "So, we'll see."

White also shot down another rumor that Lesnar had recently asked for a matchup with "The Ultimate Fighter 10" winner Roy Nelson.

"That's not true," he said. "He never asked for Roy Nelson, and the last I did hear from him, he said he wants to fight Frank Mir again."

Lesnar's current whereabouts are unknown, and White said he's been out of touch since the former champ bearded up and went on a hunting trip, presumably in Minnesota where he currently resides.

White said the massive heavyweight's next move is undecided until the two make contact.

"[brock] and I haven't talked about what's next, but I'll see what he has to say, and we'll figure out what's next for him," White said.

Lesnar's October loss snapped a four-fight win streak that instantly catapulted him to the pinnacle of the sport's heavyweight division. Before meeting Velasquez, he earned stoppage victories over Heath Herring, Randy Couture, Mir and Shane Carwin.

Lesnar and Mir have shared a sometimes intense rivalry since they first met at UFC 81. Mir won that bout by first-round submission, and the two sniped at each other in the press after Lesnar became heavyweight champion by defeating Couture at UFC 91.

The two then met at UFC 116, and Lesnar avenged the loss when he knocked out Mir in the second round. In subsequent interviews, Mir pined for a rubber match, though he went silent after he gave an interview in which he wished death on Lesnar. White publicly chastised Mir and said it wouldn't happen again.

But that's undoubtedly the sense White is referring to in considering a rubber match.

Before White signs off on the bout, he may need to convince Mir, who most recently dispatched former PRIDE heavyweight champion Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic at UFC 119. In an interview with MMASucka.com, Mir said he wasn't interested in another fight with Lesnar, despite his earlier requests.

"Honestly right now, probably no," Mir said. "Just because the Carwin fight didn't look all that spectacular. I think a lot of people might have thought that he lost that fight. And then the Velasquez fight obviously, Velasquez made Brock basically shout 'Stop, enough, enough' before he tapped due to strikes, and that looked really bad."

So while Lesnar wants to redeem himself for his most recent loss, Mir may be ready to move on.

Mir won the heavyweight strap at UFC 48 and was forced to relinquish it due to a horrific motorcycle crash. He later won the interim heavyweight title at UFC 92, and after his loss to Lesnar failed to regain the interim title at UFC 111 against Shane Carwin as Lesnar ailed with a life-threatening bout of diverticulitis.

Well yeah, best to let Brock get one over on Mir, make it 2-1.. But i dont think it should happen for at least a year, give Brock 1 or 2 fights, if Mir steps back up it could easily be a contender match for the title..

Well yeah, best to let Brock get one over on Mir, make it 2-1.. But i dont think it should happen for at least a year, give Brock 1 or 2 fights, if Mir steps back up it could easily be a contender match for the title..

Mir is so out of the title picture it's not even funny. Brock vs Mir is the fight to make because Dana wants to squeeze one more million plus PPV out of Lesnar. It's the rubber match, there's lots of bad blood between them and they know how to hype a fight.

Even after Mir's latest "win", his chances at a title shot are on par with Fitch: boring or bad performances don't get title shots. And since Carwin is out of comission and Nelson could probably upset Lesnar, damaging even more his image, Mir it is. Brock will crush him, getting back into the good graces of the fans, do the "rebound from a loss" dance and then probably fight Nelson for the next title shot while Carwin fights the loser of Cain vs JDS.

They can't give 1 or 2 fights to Lesnar to prep him back up because the UFC's HW is pretty shallow in possibilities with name power to fight alongside with Lesnar. Lesnar vs Struve for instance just wouldn't sell as well. And throwing one of the up and coming prospects into the ring with Lesnar would damage both of their careers.

Brock Lesnar (5-2 MMA, 4-2 UFC) and Frank Mir (14-5 MMA, 12-5 UFC) may not be completing their trilogy just yet.

Just one day after suggesting Lesnar vs. Mir III is a fight that "kind of makes sense" in the heavyweight division, UFC president Dana White now admits feedback received on his Twitter account is leading him away from arranging the matchup.

"People have been saying on my Twitter that they're not happy with that fight," White told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "It's something I need to re-think."

Following Lesnar's heavyweight title loss to Cain Velasquez in October, reports began to surface in a number of locations that Lesnar vs. Mir III was in the works.

At a Friday Q&A session with the UFC Fight Club, White said those reports were a bit premature as he had not spoken to Lesnar since the former champion's UFC 121 defeat. However, he did seem intrigued with the notion.

"That fight kind of makes sense," White said on Friday. "So, we'll see."

But since White made that statement, fans have taken to the Internet to express their displeasure in the potential fight. While the UFC president believes it's unwise to pay too much attention to Internet message boards, White says those that took the time to address him on his official Twitter account have made their feelings known loud and clear.

"I usually don't gauge things by the Internet; the internet is [expletive] stupid," White said. "My Twitter I do.

"On my Twitter, there's 1.2 million people that care about this thing and everything else, and you don't get the goofy [expletive] that you get in the Internet."

Lesnar's October loss snapped a four-fight win streak that instantly catapulted him to the pinnacle of the sport's heavyweight division. Before meeting Velasquez, he earned victories over Heath Herring, Randy Couture, Mir and Shane Carwin.

Lesnar and Mir have shared a sometimes intense rivalry since they first met at UFC 81. Mir won that bout by first-round submission, and the two sniped at each other in the press after Lesnar became heavyweight champion by defeating Couture at UFC 91.

The two then met at UFC 100, and Lesnar avenged the loss when he knocked out Mir in the second round. In subsequent interviews, Mir pined for a rubber match, though he went silent after he gave an interview in which he wished death on Lesnar. White publicly chastised Mir and said it wouldn't happen again.

Mir most recently defeated Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic in the main event of UFC 119 ? a bout that was largely panned for its lack of action.

Meh, I always liked Mir and I thought his **** talking was funny so I don't really care who he fights next. On the other hand I've never liked Brock so I don't care to ever see him fight again. :laugh: