UFC 127 - B.J Penn vs Jon Fitch/Jorge Rivera vs. Michael Bisping?

Main card

* Welterweight bout: BJ Penn vs. Jon Fitch

* Middleweight bout: Michael Bisping vs. Jorge Rivera

* Lightweight bout: George Sotiropoulos vs. Dennis Siver

* Welterweight bout: Carlos Condit vs. Chris Lytle

* Middleweight bout: Kyle Noke vs. Chris Camozzi

Preliminary card

* Lightweight bout: Ross Pearson vs. Spencer Fisher

* Light Heavyweight bout: James Te-Huna vs. Alexander Gustafsson

* Middleweight bout: Nick Ring vs. Riki Fukuda

* Heavyweight bout: Mark Hunt vs. Chris Tuchscherer

* Lightweight bout: Maciej Jewtuszko vs. Kurt Warburton

* Light Heavyweight bout: Anthony Perosh vs. Tom Blackledge

It won't be the headline fight, that's for sure.

Jorge Rivera is on a 3 fight win-streak but it's not a household name. And Bisping is only a big draw in the UK, don't see him having what it takes to carry an event. Seing as UFC 126 has the MW championship, maybe 127 will feature the unification of the LW championship or a new BW contender/title shot.

Going to be headlined by B.J Penn vs Jon Fitch.

I really don't know what to think... it has the potencial to be the worse fight of the year. Fitch is going to lay-and-pray on Penn until oblivion unless Penn knocks him out (yeah, like that's going to happen).

Yeah Fitch's last few fights havnt impressed me at all really, he isnt showcasing anything new its the same old ways every fight.. BJ needs to keep the momentum flowing after he knocked out Hughes, no matter which way you see it that was an impressive win and EXACTLY what BJ needed.. Another massive KO please!

Yeah Fitch's last few fights havnt impressed me at all really, he isnt showcasing anything new its the same old ways every fight.. BJ needs to keep the momentum flowing after he knocked out Hughes, no matter which way you see it that was an impressive win and EXACTLY what BJ needed.. Another massive KO please!

How convenient... :whistle:

Hughes was a sacrificial lamb in order to salvage the BJ Penn image. He had already said that he would only take on novelty fights and since he had enough clot to pick his fights, he got fed to B.J. Fitch just keeps getting the short end of the stick and I don't see this fight changing that. Penn will come out swinging and as soon as Fitch gets hit once, the wrestling switch in his head gets turned on and B.J will be on his back the rest of the match. His striking won't save him because Fitch won't strike with him in any way. Just wrestle, wrestle, wreslte. 30-27 Fitch by unanimous decision. I hope a WW contender rises up soon that isn't Fitch (Shields Light) or Shields (Fitch Light). And Jake Elenberger keeps getting shafted.

How convenient... :whistle:

Hughes was a sacrificial lamb in order to salvage the BJ Penn image. He had already said that he would only take on novelty fights and since he had enough clot to pick his fights, he got fed to B.J. Fitch just keeps getting the short end of the stick and I don't see this fight changing that. Penn will come out swinging and as soon as Fitch gets hit once, the wrestling switch in his head gets turned on and B.J will be on his back the rest of the match. His striking won't save him because Fitch won't strike with him in any way. Just wrestle, wrestle, wreslte. 30-27 Fitch by unanimous decision. I hope a WW contender rises up soon that isn't Fitch (Shields Light) or Shields (Fitch Light). And Jake Elenberger keeps getting shafted.

But i dont see how anyone could have seen that coming, BJ coming off probably the two worst performances of his career coming in to fight Hughes, a guy on a reinvented streak, he beat Renzo Gracie, Almeida and Serra (not a massive victory i know).. Both guys had the motivation, like Hughes said he would have paid his own purse to put the fight together, he didnt see it coming, i dont know what he was expecting..

All i know is BJ walking in and knocking out Hughes in 21 seconds without even landing a punch was pretty far down my list as to what would happen.. BJ looked different, he had a look in his eyes that wasnt there in both fight against Edgar, being a long time fan its just nice to see BJ back winning decisively, not taking anything away from Hughes, he shouldnt retire cus i do love watching his fights, i just dont know what he'll do next, i know retiring wouldnt bother him he's always made people aware he could easily walk away from the sport..

But i dont see how anyone could have seen that coming, BJ coming off probably the two worst performances of his career coming in to fight Hughes, a guy on a reinvented streak, he beat Renzo Gracie, Almeida and Serra (not a massive victory i know).. Both guys had the motivation, like Hughes said he would have paid his own purse to put the fight together, he didnt see it coming, i dont know what he was expecting..

All i know is BJ walking in and knocking out Hughes in 21 seconds without even landing a punch was pretty far down my list as to what would happen.. BJ looked different, he had a look in his eyes that wasnt there in both fight against Edgar, being a long time fan its just nice to see BJ back winning decisively, not taking anything away from Hughes, he shouldnt retire cus i do love watching his fights, i just dont know what he'll do next, i know retiring wouldnt bother him he's always made people aware he could easily walk away from the sport..

It's the look of a guy who just sees how gift-wrapped a fight is :shiftyninja:

• 4 weeks later...
The UFC officially announced yesterday that BJ Penn will face Jon Fitch and Michael Bisping will take on Jorge Rivera at UFC 127 in February.

A welterweight contest between Carlos Condit and Chris Lytle was also confirmed for the card.

Also on the card, emerging lightweight contender George Sotiropoulos will face Dennis Siver, "The Ultimate Fighter Season 11" contestant Kyle Noke will face Chris Camozzi, Anthony "Hippo" Perosh will clash with Tom Blackledge in a heavyweight bout while James Te Huna will tangle with Alexander Gustafsson.

Tickets for the event will go on sale this week. Tickets go on sale for the general public starting on Thursday 16 December, 9am AEDT via www.ticketek.com.au.

UFC 127 will take place on February 27, 2011 from the Acer Arena in Aydney, Australia.

• 1 month later...

Meh promo. The card is also reasonable but has some potential. The Condit/Bisping fights have potential to be entertaining. Fitch will grind BJ to pieces for 3 rounds. George Sotiropoulos gets the short end of the stick: 7 fight win streak and gets to fight Denis Siver instead of some other Top 10 LW like Jim Miller or something.

• 2 weeks later...

All in all a very good event overshadowed by absolutely retarded judges.

Mark Hunt vs. Chris Tuchscherer: Mark Hunt showed that he can still strike. Tuchscherer's cut was gruesome and that was a vicious TKO. He tagged him and just walked away knowing the fight was over. He's still miles away from being relevant since his defense to Tuchscherer's kimura attempt was non-existant.

Zhang Tie Quan vs. Jason Reinhardt: No surprises here. Not trying to take anything away from Zhang Tie Quan, he showed great skill in this fight, but Reinhardt is a notorious can-crusher that is himself a can and got brought in to be a sacrificial lamb. He was 20-1 coming with his one loss coming at the hands of Joe Lauzon in his UFC debut and the rest of his wins against cans with predominantly losing records.

Nick Ring vs. Riki Fukuda: WTF? WTF! Did Nick Ring have pictures of the judges doing an orgy with farm animals and amputee siamise twins? Seriously? He didn't mount any significant offensive, he didn't attack from the bottom and he won? 1st nominee for Robbery of the Year. And so continues the losing streak of B-League champions.

James Te-Huna vs. Alexander Gustafsson: Solid fight. James Te-Huna showed some heart and caused some trobule for Gustafsson, almost got him in the crucifix on the ground. Gustafsson is showing himself to be a very well rounded fighter that could provide some good LHW fights in the future.

Ross Pearson vs. Spencer Fisher: Wow what a fight. Back and forth with good grappling, good striking. What more could you ask? I was fearing the worse after the final bell but the judges (except the guy that did it 30-27) had their heads on straight, but it could have gone either way.

Kyle Noke vs. Chris Camozzi: This was only on the main card because Noke is an australian and it paid off for the UFC with him picking up the win by submission. What more can you say about a fight that ends in less than 2 minutes? Camozzi still needs lots of improvement if he wants to hang around in the UFC.

Chris Lytle vs. Brian Ebersole: This started out weird and ended up awesome. Brian Ebersole put an end to Chris Lytle very very remote chances for a WW title shot (Dana would pick him over Fitch if he finished up this fight believe me). From cartwheel kicks to his personal grooming choices and his fighting style, Ebersole was anything but orthodox and put a progressive beating on Lytle. Lytle on the other hand picks up another FOTN so we will be seeing him in the UFC for a very long time.

George Sotiropoulos vs. Dennis Siver: I'll be the first to admit that I tought this fight was a step-back for Sotiropoulos. Coming in on a 7 fight win streak to fight anyone but one of the top contenders (Guida, Petis or Jim Miller) looked like a delay in his potential title shot for 2011-2012. It ended up being an eye opener as Siver exploited the holes in Sotiropoulos's game such as the fact that he isn't very good with his takedowns and striking. If he can get you down, you're done but Siver defended all of them and made it look easy, coming back with his crisp striking. He's still far from being a direct contender but he knocked Sotiropoulos down a couple of pegs.

Michael Bisping vs. Jorge Rivera: Well... here's the thing: did Bisping plan on the knee to punish Rivera or was it a heat of the moment thing? Bisping always had the idea that he was going finish the fight anyway and he had the skills to do it as he showed so the point deduction wasn't going to do anything to change the overall result. Whatever the situation, it was quite the gamble because the knee hit perfectly and it could have very well knocked Rivera out resulting in a DQ. Bisping was just pummeling Rivera at will in the end of the round and that knee surely contributed to it. Still that fight probably sold more PPV buys than the main event (Rivera's videos were funny as hell).

B.J. Penn vs. Jon Fitch: The coup-de-grace of judge retardation. How could 2 judges come up with a 10-8 round for Penn? It must have been for Penn because if it was for Fitch then they have Penn winning 2 rounds and that didn't happen in this Universe at all. Maybe Nick Ring showed up to deliver the incriminating pictures and the judges got distracted. They couldn't award the fight to Penn because no one would believe such retardation to be possible twice in the same event so they did what they could. Fitch looked his usual self, his diet change didn't go against him at all, probably even allowed him do to a less strenous cut. All in all ended up being quite a surprise, first time in ages that the judges don't favor Fitch.