WinZip Mac Edition

BetterZip ftw :)

Agreed.

After much fumbling around with some truly crap apps like UnrarX or The Unarchiver, BetterZip just does everything perfectly.

After trying out WinZip for Mac a bit more it actually seems like a very nice application. It adds QuickLook support for ZIP files and it also has a very clean looking interface. I'm amazed to see that a Windows company for this long actually took the time to make a nearly perfect Mac OS X app.

I actually feel sorry for Windows users that the Mac equivalent of applications tend to have nicer and less confusing interfaces and much cooler icons. :laugh:

Honestly, kudos to them if they actually made a good Mac version that isn't just a shoddy port.

But I use archives so infrequently that when I actually need to extract any .rar files, I just wait until I'm at work where I'd have my Windows VM running and I extract it using 7zip.

Keeps my Mac clean of random apps I barely use. :whistle:

Wass'so good about that?

It's free, open source, and what I use in Windows so I know that it is quick, efficient, and small. I never use the main app window for compression tools. I only use contextual menus so I couldn't care less what fancy UI they have.

As if a 21,1 MB application will have an impact on your Mac's performance. :whistle:

Bah, a Mac doesn't really ever get dirty IMO. It doesn't have a registry like Windows.

The Unarchiver is the best of the best of all compressing/decompressing apps though. I was using UnrarX before, because I ended up being ****ed because there was nothing good on the Mac but when I discovered The Unarchiver, it stayed forever. It's Lightweight, it's fast, and it deletes my zip files automatically after I extract them. I need nothing more.

Bah, a Mac doesn't really ever get dirty IMO. It doesn't have a registry like Windows.

Nope, but the Library can get pretty messy with 4kb files occasionally. On some old Tiger machines I've fixed it was LOADED to the brim!

Nope, but the Library can get pretty messy with 4kb files occasionally. On some old Tiger machines I've fixed it was LOADED to the brim!

Those don't affect performance in any way.

No, but they're still messyy....

As long as it doesn't affect performance in anyway, it doesn't really matter. Next to that it's a whole lot easier getting rid of support files on Mac OS X than on Windows considering the fact all files are user readable.

No, but they're still messyy....

Bingo. When I said clean, I was talking about keeping my system organized. My first Mac had a ton of apps that I had installed, forgotten about, and left taking up room and making things unorganized (and the Applications folder takes forever to resolve all the dates and sizes when in detail view, so the fewer in there, the better). When I got my new Mac I told myself I'd keep things simple and clean.

;)

My biggest regret, installing Hamachi2 on my MacBook Pro and iMac. I've now got a Network Interface that I cannot for the life of me remove.

Going to format both of them eventually anyway. Probably when Lion comes out, so I'll deal with it until then.

Theres only so much that can be discussed about WinZIP on the Mac. :D

This.

Haha. :laugh: Only thing I can think of is how I can recall the days of me endlessly clicking "Start Evaluation Version" every time I started WinZip. Then one day I discovered WinRAR and never went back. Ever. And now, here I am, without even one dedicated unarchiver tool. Look how far we've come! ;)

Only thing I can think of is how I can recall the days of me endlessly clicking "Start Evaluation Version" every time I started WinZip.

My thoughts exactly, these were the Win95 bliss days.