[UK] Minibus Hire

Hi guys! A friend of mine is looking to hire a minibus with approx 8 seats next month however she's come up against a little problem. We can't seem to find a minibus hire company that will rent one out to anyone under 25, and she's 23. Does anyone know if this is the law, or if it's just a common practice and if so does anyone know a company that will hire a minibus to someone under 25?

Any advice or help is most appreciated! :)

There's some info here. Seems to state that you don't need to be 25 to hire one. Good luck.

Edit: My bad that's for 'vans'. Not sure if the same applies to minibuses.

You'll probably still pay a fortune for it under 25.

I've come across this when trying to rent a van when I moved house at 23. Website refused to let me book, so I spoke to them in person at my local branch. When they realised I wasn't a moron they were happy to rent the van to me!

You can definitely drive one at her age. My house-mate at uni drives one for the society she's part of (mountaineering or something). That's all arranged through the uni though, so I can't help you with company names unfortunately.

Thanks for the replies everyone! So it seems that there's no law preventing this, perhaps just very cautious and strict rental companies. I'll see if we can't go into a branch in person and speak to someone like you said iKenndac.

Appreciate all the advice so far, and please throw any more guidance my way if you've got any :)

• 4 weeks later...

Its because of insurance, the companys insurers wont usually insure anyone under 25.

The same for a private policy, you usually have to be 25+ to drive another car on your policy.