Internet Explorer 9 Beta 9.0.8027.6000 Leaked

it is listed as RC build already

Where? And I wonder what a "VIP Tester" is supposed to be, since that's not typical Microsoft-speak? Is that an odd way of saying that this build was posted for those in the formal beta (i.e. not the public one)? That is, it's listed in Connect for those on that beta?

And? We are not the ones sharing it. Take it up with the R27 blog.

I was under the impression that both linking to and discussing pirated software was against the forum rules!

can using a leaked version of a program that's already free REALLY be considered piracy though?

Yes. It's illegal to distribute anything that is copyrighted without permission from the copyright holder. If I create a program and make it available for free on my website, it would still be illegal for you to make it available somewhere else. I'm allowed to do so because I hold the copyright, but you have no such right. Price has zero relevance.

Neowin has always had a much more liberal policy towards Microsoft leaks, considering leaks were neowins entire reason for existing when it was created.

Oh, I know. Piracy has always been okay when it comes to Microsoft products, really. It's just funny.

Where? And I wonder what a "VIP Tester" is supposed to be, since that's not typical Microsoft-speak? Is that an odd way of saying that this build was posted for those in the formal beta (i.e. not the public one)? That is, it's listed in Connect for those on that beta?

It's just an internal updated build, I don't know what it takes to be a TAP member etc but it's as close as you can get to MS without actually working for MS I'd say.

I certainly hope there is some significant changes to come. The UI really needs some polishing and I honestly can't believe they are releasing another version of IE without spellcheck.

EVERY other major browser has this.

I certainly hope there is some significant changes to come. The UI really needs some polishing and I honestly can't believe they are releasing another version of IE without spellcheck.

A spell checker is overrated and not needed.

Maybe they expect people to be able to spell on their own?

How about we learn to spell so that we don't have to depend on a PC to spell for us rather than correcting small mistakes that we made when typing.

How about we learn to spell so that we don't have to depend on a PC to spell for us rather than correcting small mistakes that we made when typing.

How about they just add this basic feature instead? It's pretty crazy that Windows has no support for spell checking.

How about they just add this basic feature instead? It's pretty crazy that Windows has no support for spell checking.

Maybe because no other company is so much under the gun as far as adding features as Microsoft?

As much as Microsoft's product teams (from Windows to Office to IE) would love to add features, they must be careful not to step over the always-moving (and often invisible) "line in the sand" between legitimate feature additions and anticompetitive behavior. When every wanna-be politician sees you and your employer as the path to fame and fortune, you tread VERY lightly.

Update - this build can be installed *without* first removing a previous build of IE 9 (I installed the leak over the public CTP). The UI is unchanged (unlike some, I have no problems with this UI, though it is certainly more spare than that of IE 8); however, I'm severely unimpressed with the business of the Firefox 4 beta UI (despite Personas). Why must a browser call attention to itself via its UI?

A utilitarian UI need not be a bad thing (Chrome's UI is nowhere near as busy as that of Firefox, though it is busier than that of any version of IE newer than 6).

Maybe because no other company is so much under the gun as far as adding features as Microsoft?

Windows has NO support for spell-checking. There isn't even an API to let third parties plug theirs in. The reason isn't because of antitrust issues, it's because Microsoft never thought it was worth spending money on, and now partly because Windows is very old and fragile, making changes difficult and risky.

Anything that accepts text input should also support spell checking.

Are you serious? I know how to spell, but everyone makes typing mistakes and spellcheck is a basic feature that every competing browser has.

As much as Microsoft's product teams (from Windows to Office to IE) would love to add features, they must be careful not to step over the always-moving (and often invisible) "line in the sand" between legitimate feature additions and anticompetitive behavior. When every wanna-be politician sees you and your employer as the path to fame and fortune, you tread VERY lightly.

Update - this build can be installed *without* first removing a previous build of IE 9 (I installed the leak over the public CTP). The UI is unchanged (unlike some, I have no problems with this UI, though it is certainly more spare than that of IE 8); however, I'm severely unimpressed with the business of the Firefox 4 beta UI (despite Personas). Why must a browser call attention to itself via its UI?

A utilitarian UI need not be a bad thing (Chrome's UI is nowhere near as busy as that of Firefox, though it is busier than that of any version of IE newer than 6).

Also are YOU serious? Holy crap people, how can spellcheck even be remotely considered "anticompetitive". Again EVERY OTHER BROWSER HAS THIS. How the hell would adding it be anti competitive? Its a very basic feature thats expected of a web browser these days.

Did you know that this is known as piracy?

Piracy of an already free product? :p

Windows has NO support for spell-checking. There isn't even an API to let third parties plug theirs in. The reason isn't because of antitrust issues, it's because Microsoft never thought it was worth spending money on, and now partly because Windows is very old and fragile, making changes difficult and risky.

Anything that accepts text input should also support spell checking.

Agreed. System-wide spell + grammar checking one of those features that makes using Mac OS X great. I miss it a lot when I'm on Windows

I think it's hilarious how people are constantly making excuses for Microsoft not incorporating system-wide spell + grammar checking into Windows and come up with insane reasons why it shouldn't be implemented. It's an extremely useful feature and even if you don't need it others might and it certainly doesn't hurt.

Time to start making my "Features removed in IE9" list if the UI and customizability are not going to change. sad.gif Btw does anyone know if a build for Vista leaked as well or only Windows 7?

Windows has NO support for spell-checking. There isn't even an API to let third parties plug theirs in.

There is the Text Services Framework since Windows XP in which third parties can easily plug in their universal spell checker. Wherever Uniscribe is used, spell checker will be available. Though I agree a Microsoft supplied spell checker is overdue.

+1

Spellcheck is one of the many uneeded tools implemented into computers that supports the dumbing down of people in general. You shouldn't rely on a computer to do things that should be common knowledge. With the exception of dyslexics and the like if you can't use proper grammar then you should seriously consider taking some classes.

It's just like when you go into a grocery store and the power goes out. Usually the cashier will look at you with a very lost look as they cannot even make a simple mathematical equation work into getting you your correct change.

The human mind is still the most incredible computer that exists, use it.

+1

Spellcheck is one of the many uneeded tools implemented into computers that supports the dumbing down of people in general. You shouldn't rely on a computer to do things that should be common knowledge. With the exception of dyslexics and the like if you can't use proper grammar then you should seriously consider taking some classes.

It's just like when you go into a grocery store and the power goes out. Usually the cashier will look at you with a very lost look as they cannot even make a simple mathematical equation work into getting you your correct change.

I just facepalmed so hard my face has imploded, are you serious?

The Aero busy cursor now keeps spinning correctly in the tab until the page loading is truly complete. I still need a proper progress bar.

Apparently you need it...

No one is perfect, since you pointed out that mistake the likelyhood of me making it again is not probable. Learn from your mistakes and don't rely on artificial intelligence to fix them for you.

Piracy of an already free product? :p

Yes, because copyright law doesn't have anything to do with price. If I made a free product and you redistributed it on your website without permission, I could sue you and I would win.

The "free" argument is silly anyway. If Microsoft wanted you to have it, they would have made it available to you. They didn't. In other words, it is not free. It's not even available to you.

No one is perfect, since you pointed out that mistake the likelyhood of me making it again is not probable. Learn from your mistakes and don't rely on artificial intelligence to fix them for you.

Likelihood. The grammar is pretty poor as well.

The point is that spell checkers are useful. Why wait for someone on a forum to point out your mistakes when the computer can give you instant feedback?

+1

Are you ****ting me?

Spellcheck is not unnecessary; I can tell you that from working in two industries where spellcheck is pretty necessary (journalism and public relations). Furthermore, it helps when submitting information online -- instead of having to carefully review your spelling, it does all that for you. But even taking all this into account, your argument is completely and utterly silly. You say we shouldn't rely on computers to do things that are common knowledge -- let me ask you: how do you do your taxes? Do you use a calculator? Do you use a computer? Because basic math is something you shouldn't rely on a computer to do, as it's common knowledge :rolleyes:

Spellchecking would have prevented you from making that mistake in the first place. Simple as that. Also, you're constantly relying on "artificial intelligence" considering how many automated processes are already at play in order to post this message. Thinking otherwise is naive.